Innovative Marine Aquariums

NP reducing biopellets XL

Yaman

I don't know much about them really, surface area would actually be less on these giant pellets however they would be less likely to clump. Solid carbon dosing still requires adequate flow and good skimming. If you use them I would start with very little and gradually add more if necessary (after one month). You be hard pressed to find a review on these pellets since they are so new and not even available in some areas and LFS. Maybe you could be first to review them.

I do fear Reef Builders has made these pellets sound too easy to use, just throw them in mentality. I would read an awful amount before solid carbon dosing and throwing these into your filtration system. I can see a lot of tanks crashing in the future with these XL pellets.

What exactly are these? I'm confused? Are they a replacement for GFO?

These are just large bio-pellets.

Looks interesting. I would try it in a TLF reactor with no sponges and flow directed to the skimmer. It seems simpler to run than regular bio-pellets, running less flow and no need for a specific reactor. I'd happily switch over to these XL pellets if they actually work.

Let us know how they work for you.

Looks interesting. I would try it in a TLF reactor with no sponges and flow directed to the skimmer. It seems simpler to run than regular bio-pellets, running less flow and no need for a specific reactor. I'd happily switch over to these XL pellets if they actually work.

The point whit this is not use any reactors....The tank is fresh and started 2 weeks ago.

Got my led setup done yesterday in the hood. Now im waiting for a skimmer before i add the pellets.

Starting to add some lower life@the end of the month, so im taking it slowly.

I just got them. I put them in the filter part of the Tunze reefpack 200, where my DYI zeovit reactor was. Right now I'm running in parallel a CPR biopellets reactor with DR. Tim pellets mixed with TLF pellets. I'm planning to remove the CPR reactor after the NP XL pellets kick in.

Anybody else using these? I'm little worried that the XLs might not be receiving the correct flow.

Since I removed the zeovit reactor, I saw a spike of phosphates but I hope it will drop to zero soon Also, I'm dosing zeobak almost everyday and dr tim's waste away once a week.

50mg nitrate

0.5 phosphate

Added around 40-50ml Np and started up the skimmer.

Going to alanya week 39, so im gonna wait after the trip whit lifestock.

• 2 weeks later...

50mg nitrate

0.1 phosphate

Using Salifert

Nitrate still on same value, but the phosphate is droping.

The rock from a friends tank is nice and clean, and the dead one have green hair algea.

mce300 is getting out black gunk and it works realy great.

Time to get som turbos

Where did you order them from? I couldn't find them anywhere (with pretty quick googling around) in EU of at least with reasonable shipping costs. So I have the more traditional NP pellets (new formula).

Also, you really should post up some pictures, neighbor. Greetings from Finland.

Where did you order them from? I couldn't find them anywhere (with pretty quick googling around) in EU of at least with reasonable shipping costs. So I have the more traditional NP pellets (new formula).

Also, you really should post up some pictures, neighbor. Greetings from Finland.

Got the pellets from a shop here in sweden...I know 2 diffrent websites here that have them in stock.

My htc camera suck, but im coming back whit some pics later on 8)

this sorta remind me of bio rings , but i would start of slow not sure how effective this are going

to be, but the regular bio pellets in a reactor suck up the nutrients pretty fast

almost had a crash because i was un able to feed the tank for three day when i came back

all my sps and some lps look week lost alot color and almost no PE

But let us know how they work out

How are these working out for you? Any thoughts?

Hade a green algea explosion 2 weeks ago and they are fading of now. Fos are at 0 and nitrate 0.5 now.

Lifestock is only a frag of green starpoly and a small gorgonia, so it is hard to tell if it is effective or not.

Going to alanya on sunday for one week, gonna get some frags&fish after that.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know much about them really, surface area would actually be less on these giant pellets however they would be less likely to clump. Solid carbon dosing still requires adequate flow and good skimming. If you use them I would start with very little and gradually add more if necessary (after one month). You be hard pressed to find a review on these pellets since they are so new and not even available in some areas and LFS. Maybe you could be first to review them.

I do fear Reef Builders has made these pellets sound too easy to use, just throw them in mentality. I would read an awful amount before solid carbon dosing and throwing these into your filtration system. I can see a lot of tanks crashing in the future with these XL pellets.

These are just large bio-pellets.

:bowdown: thumbs up to you! one of the few people that warn people to research more. and sees how pellets are being put out there as an easy fix without any warnings. any form of carbon dosing is not fool proof. and pellets give even less control than if you manually dose a form of carbon.

:bowdown: thumbs up to you! one of the few people that warn people to research more. and sees how pellets are being put out there as an easy fix without any warnings. any form of carbon dosing is not fool proof. and pellets give even less control than if you manually dose a form of carbon.

Start whit a low dose, add more pellets slow when u have a lifestock that suppose to give load on the system.

Not foolproof, but shoud be safe if u are careful

• 4 weeks later...

0 nitrate

0 phos

Added 5 turbos snails and one salarias+10 polyps zoa melon 3 weeks ago. Algea is totaly gone and i dont even have to clean the glass.

Paycheck end of the month= more lifestock

Been running these for about a month and a half now. Nitrates are a consistent 0,but can't get phosphate below 0.04. Fighting green hair algae. Also using Phosban in a mesh bag. Phosphate dropped from 0.08 to 0.04 but hasn't gone any lower. Chaeto in fuge still growing like mad. Any thoughts?

Been running these for about a month and a half now. Nitrates are a consistent 0,but can't get phosphate below 0.04. Fighting green hair algae. Also using Phosban in a mesh bag. Phosphate dropped from 0.08 to 0.04 but hasn't gone any lower. Chaeto in fuge still growing like mad. Any thoughts?

Yeah, if you can, please check ALL the FAQ & the video, and have a clear understanding of how the BioPellets work. Most of the Q&As apply to XL biopellets.

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/control-nitrate-phosphate#do

After that, read what's causing the green hair algae.

If you still have questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them.

How are these working out for you? Any thoughts?

Happy so far running XL Pellets in the filter part of the Tunze reefpack 200 with filter mash on top of the pellets.

I'm also dosing Zeovit products daily and one Dr.Tim product with every water change BUT, in general, I rarely feed the corals (raw fish if I do, maybe once a week 1-2 days before water change) and the only fish I have gets very little amount of pellets once a day (plenty of pods swimming around)

I'm afraid, without a reactor, you need a lot more flow than the regular pellets. Mine is 200gph on a 14g body of water.

Archived