Pod Your Reef

PVC plumbing and spray painted overflow box

Snapper

2 questions,

1) I just drilled my tank and am wondering how to get the plumbing going on it where it won't put all the weight on the glass and potentially break my glass? Do you guys give the PVC pipes some sort of support ala brackets to take some weight off the tank glass?

2) Is it safe to put a painted overflow box in the tank? I made a DIY one, as many have but not sure if the rustoleum spray paint is actually safe to have inside the tank.

1) I just drilled my tank and am wondering how to get the plumbing going on it where it won't put all the weight on the glass and potentially break my glass? Do you guys give the PVC pipes some sort of support ala brackets to take some weight off the tank glass?
I would secure the PVC drain and return to the stand (not only for vertical stress, but for bumping it horizontally at well). There are all sorts of pipe brackets/hangers that should suit your needs.

1235196_medium.png

2) Is it safe to put a painted overflow box in the tank? I made a DIY one, as many have but not sure if the rustoleum spray paint is actually safe to have inside the tank.
I just don't know. Many people have used Krylon Fusion on parts inside the tank. I'm not sure if it is formulated any different than Rustoleum or not. :unsure:
theevilsock
2 questions,

I use pipe straps to support the PVC...you can get it at your hardware store in the plumbing section. you just cut off a length and then screw it into the stand...

plumbingstraps.jpg

hmm..to be honest these are the first pictures I have seen where people use methods like this, most seem to just let it go.

Good question. I never even thought of that. I also have never noticed anyone supporting pipes with any brackets or anything.

I was more concerned about bumping it sideways than holding the weight of the pipes and the water within. I figured it would act like a lever and amplify the force applied.

Archived