inTank Media Baskets

Protecting inverts (like lettuce sea slugs) from powerhead?

theGil

Ever since I had a near-death experience with my lettuce sea slug and the intake on my AC20, I've been using a pre-filter sponge. Now, I'm expecting a Hydor Koralia Nano 425 powerhead to be delivered tomorrow, and I've been thinking of that sea slug since ordering the powerhead. How am I gonna keep it from getting sucked into the thing??

I see that Ecotech Marine makes foam covers for their Vortech powerheads, but I'm not seeing a similar product for the Koralia. What are YOU using to protect your inverts from your powerhead(s)?

Thanks!

Bongo Shrimp

For anything that doesn't have a cover/protector specifically designed for it or if you just want to DIY it-

Filter Sponges and Rubberbands. Those two things can usually manage to cover just about any intake, return, anything that is dangerous. Thats what I use. Mesh can be used as well but you'll find that things can still get stuck to mesh (nudis).

For anything that doesn't have a cover/protector specifically designed for it or if you just want to DIY it-

Filter Sponges and Rubberbands. Those two things can usually manage to cover just about any intake, return, anything that is dangerous. Thats what I use. Mesh can be used as well but you'll find that things can still get stuck to mesh (nudis).

DIY, it is, then. I tried to think of what would be the cleanest/easiest solution, then I remembered those plastic protective tube nets that expand to form fit around things like fruit, glass objects, etc. I found some online, but they seem to only come in massive rolls and cost $50-100 (like this http://www.componentforce.co.uk/userfiles/...newrange_lg.jpg ). So I went to Hobby Lobby hoping to find some. The cashier said they didn't, so I looked up and down every aisle anyway. Then I found some! It was packaged as Boye "Yarn Sleeve Assortment" by Wright. Of course black wasn't included in the package :( So I went with the blue. I cut a 2" or 2.5" piece and slipped it over the Koralia Nano 425. Perfect! (except for the color). Anyway, perhaps others have done this, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

After ALL of that, I ended up moving my Lettuce Sea Slug into a different tank about 30min later. Haha. I'm hoping he'll find the GHA in that tank appetizing. He needs to eat! There's no powerhead in that tank... yet.

photo.jpg

Archived