Top Shelf Aquatics

Fast,safe, and easy way to remove rim for biocubes.

mariomarci

[Background story]

I shut down my tank five Months ago and plan to bring it back. i have a Biocube 29 and was satisfied with what it provided. However, i did and still plan to do more tweaks to it. I Added an additional 8 inches to the stand because i found myself hunched looking at the tank. i did not like that. satisfied with the new height i wanted my tank to be rimless because i am planning on having the Radion LEDs for the tank. I am also going to modify the filtration by adding a sump inside the stand.

[Main Story]

As i was scoring the silicone from the rim i got an idea and to my surprise it worked. I managed to remove the plastic rim of the biocube 29 within 10 minutes. The hardest part is cleaning the leftover silicone on the glass. My technique is fairly easy and cheap. first cut the strip that attaches the rim close to the false wall on both sides. post-56379-1341017586_thumb.jpg

Once the cut is made run a razor blade a couple of times under the plastic rim that attaches the silicone to the glass. Then take fishing string and run it around the rim. It will take a little force to do it but, fishing string won't damage glass. I recommend gloves when doing this to avoid gating a cut. When you run the fishing string around once the rim should come off.

post-56379-1341018477_thumb.jpg

post-56379-1341018503_thumb.jpg

post-56379-1341018553_thumb.jpg

and you are done! next you just have to clean the tank. the hardest part is scraping off the remaining silicone. after i was done scraping, i washed the inside and outside with vinegar and a soft sponge.

post-56379-1341018706_thumb.jpg

-_-:D

RayWhisperer

Are you sure you want to put water in that? Those AIO tanks aren't the best quality in manufacturing. I've never tried it, and don't recall reading about anyone doing it. I'd be worried about it developing a leak, or completely failing.

i had a rimless biocube at our shop for a year.. i remember it being a pain to try and clean the glass and not spill water over the rim..

gonzalez78
Are you sure you want to put water in that? Those AIO tanks aren't the best quality in manufacturing. I've never tried it, and don't recall reading about anyone doing it. I'd be worried about it developing a leak, or completely failing.

One of my local lfs does has a rimless biocube running for the past couple of years and other than the splashing water they say they have not had a problem. Still they won't sell me the Picassos they have in it :angry:

mariomarci

from what I've read and researched the plastic on the biocube has no structural support only aesthetic purposes. I filled the tank with water and hold well.

mariomarci
will you take a pic of your stand?

yes i will. post-56379-1341205088_thumb.jpg

post-56379-1341205104_thumb.jpg

i had a rimless biocube at our shop for a year.. i remember it being a pain to try and clean the glass and not spill water over the rim..

[/quo

i am going to add a 1.5 inch border to the rim to avoid that problem. ill have to go to my local glass or acrylic shop.

• 2 years later...

Archived