Top Shelf Aquatics

Chaeto on 24hr light cycle OR opposite main tank lights.

Harrisonbored

Chaeto on 24hr light cycle OR opposite main tank lights.  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you do?

• 24hr light cycle
    • Opposite main tank light cycle

I run a incandescent light with reflector. Like 8 bucks for the socket and reflector and then 1 dollar for a bulb lol. My chateo grows so much it comes out of the water and dies off haha

I run 24x7 with no issues for 6 months. Super growth and pods galore. I could toss it on a timer or free up an Apex plug but unless you can convince me that pods or algae needs to sleep then I'll continue to do so. I guess I need to order a backup bulb. :)

I run opposite the main tank with some overlap, so about 15 hours a day. I figure if the algae doesn't want a night cycle then at least the pods benefit.

Both algae and pods benefit from a night cycle. I have seen marine species of fish react negatively with behavior to other inhabitants when subjected to 24 hour illumination. While that is not proof that it will happen all of the time. It lends credence to the hypothesis. While working in the Article Circle in Norway, I can tell you thar humans need a rest cycle from light. If humans and fish respond to light dark cycles, I would suspect that pods and algae respond to light dark cycles as well.

Of course the lights can stay on 24/7, algae and pods will survive.

• 1 month later...

I have tons of grape and feather caulerpa, gellidium, and whatever little bit of cheato that doesn't get smothered out by the other macros growth. I have tried the 24hr lights and the macros started to pale. So for a long time now I've been running opposite lights. I just prune when it gets thick to avoid a sexual event. Seems to be working.

• 1 month later...

I run mines the opposite too but is everyone running it to complete darkness? I have a timer and every time it turns off my clowns would freak out....

• 2 weeks later...
glennr1978

I haven't even checked ph on either my systems....ever. I run my fuge light on one tank 24\7. No fuge on the other one.

Mine runs 24x7 and grows like crazy in my refugium. I have the PH probe on my Apex and even with the chaeto there is a noticeable nightly drop in PH.

• 8 months later...

I ran mine 24x7 6 days a week. I would give it a day to be dark. I noticed that 24x7 would start to brown it after about 4 weeks. The day break kept that from happening.

• 11 months later...

I also ran mine 24/7...had massive growth. I pruned a ton out and am going with an opposite lighting schedule now to see what happens. Saves a little power at least I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
phobos2deimos

Both algae and pods benefit from a night cycle. I have seen marine species of fish react negatively with behavior to other inhabitants when subjected to 24 hour illumination. While that is not proof that it will happen all of the time. It lends credence to the hypothesis. While working in the Article Circle in Norway, I can tell you thar humans need a rest cycle from light. If humans and fish respond to light dark cycles, I would suspect that pods and algae respond to light dark cycles as well. Of course the lights can stay on 24/7, algae and pods will survive.

I don't have much research to back this up, but I agree. Also run a reverse cycle to keep pH/oxygen relatively stable.

• 4 weeks later...
righttirefire

I ran 24/7 now I run display 10hours. 2 hour no lights, 10hours refugium, 2 hours no light

• 3 months later...

I guess it depends on what your intentions are, chaeto grows in most conditions period...

I follow the DT cycle just to save energy and have 3W actinic bulbs after main lights are off.

I run a incandescent light with reflector. Like 8 bucks for the socket and reflector and then 1 dollar for a bulb lol. My chateo grows so much it comes out of the water and dies off haha

An incandescent bulb? Get a CFL. Why turn energy (and therefore money) into heat? You can get CFLs for the same price as an incandescent anyway and it'll last considerably longer.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I do 24 hours a day, but really only because I don't have room for another timer. It burns out the bulbs really quick, but it seems to help the chaeto grow super fast

you know we bought a electric at home depot that has a built in timer.. Just thought i would share..

https://jet.com/product/detail/74e958c18f9a420191e116b3ffd711d1?jcmp=pla:ggl:electronics_a3:electronics_accessories_power_power_strips_surge_suppressors_a3_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=27a2392e-b4bb-2cc8-3216-000025c505d9&abkId=403-186162&gclid=CjwKEAiApOq2BRDoo8SVjZHV7TkSJABLe2iDuxj6A00dd8O5xXj5Hgnx_NFfQghLSvyfaUgrnMzJhBoCSQ_w_wcB

• 9 months later...

I ran 24/7 now I run display 10hours. 2 hour no lights, 10hours refugium, 2 hours no light

I ran 10 hrs on 2 hrs off, i had small fist size, grew to grapefruit size in 3 wks, I now do reverse light cycle as my back chamber is nearly full of it now, and I'm tearing some out periodically, shaking out the odd copepod into main tank they seem to love living amongst it. I have to say, with rowaphos and chaeto helping?..my phosphates are consistent 0.03, nitrates less than5. I still feed daily with 2 heavy feeds, fish,corals, whole tank per week, really happy so far (touchwood).

• 3 weeks later...

I run 12 hours on mine. From 7 pm to 7 am mainly because this is the lowest rate for my electricity bill. My DT lights turn off completely from 10 pm to 12 pm the next day

Archived