Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First Pico Reef, Aqueon Evolve 4

wiskey

Just an FYI, I noticed in one of your screenshots that you had the PAR 38 bulb in a gooseneck style lamp with the shade still on it. Your LED bulb may have overheated, you need to run them without a shade or shroud around the heatsink so the air circulation can move the heat away from the bulb. It is possible that the bulb may have overheated due to not being able to dump the waste heat efficiently.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just an FYI, I noticed in one of your screenshots that you had the PAR 38 bulb in a gooseneck style lamp with the shade still on it. Your LED bulb may have overheated, you need to run them without a shade or shroud around the heatsink so the air circulation can move the heat away from the bulb. It is possible that the bulb may have overheated due to not being able to dump the waste heat efficiently.

I had taken that into consideration but LEDs are typically designed to provide full power at a temperature between 60 and 80 degrees C. This is the temperature of the LED itself. The bulb always stayed cool to the touch, warm, but never too hot to handle. This was one of the most impressive features IMO. Doesn't seem like an over heating issue.

i know when i do searches for different things I find many questinos but rarely any follow up or conclusions.

I had a pretty good sized aiptasia in my tank and started to see 2 small babys. It was getting very close to my frowspawn and i knew it had to be dealt with. The local store (reef solutions) made a recombination for aiptasia rx. I used it and it worked just as advertised. turned the pumps off, squirted a little bit in the mouth and bam, no more aiptaisa now!

• 9 months later...
xxShaddowxx

I'm really jealous that your pistol shrimp is active. I just got a Randall's a few days ago and he has yet to show up since I put him in. I even went and got the goby that he was paired with at the store but i don't think they have found each other....

• 1 month later...

Just going through your thread again and I forgot that I posted on here. . I would also like to know how your tank is doing. I just bought an 8 gallon for my fiancé. And I put a par 38 full spectrum bulb and I run chemi pure elite in the filter.20130328_174846_zps87ef1fd6.jpg

• 3 months later...

No this is my 4th salt water tank. I started with 2 30 gallon tanks. Then consolidated to 1 75 gallon tank and set up that one for my fiancé. But doing an upgrade of the 75 gallon to a 190 gallon within thr next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. It is nice for a budget build. I had to raise the led alot. I had a gbta and it would never open fully in the day only at night but as soon as I raised b it it started to stay in one place and open during the day. I was going to be an sps tank but ive decided to do a zoa and paly only tank. I wantbto upgrade it to a im nuvo 8 because its glass this acrylic scratches real easy.

• 5 months later...

great tank whisky!! i too bought an aqueon evolve 8 gallon. first tank ever. definetely going to be following yours to see how yours comes out!! Im new to the whole reef keeping so im curious as far how you use your filtration in the back etc. right now i think there is a bag of biomax in it...i saw someone post they use chemi pure elite..is it necessary to have something in the back? also i saw that you said you change your pump..is that easy to do in the back? did you do it for more flow?

id love some input about my tank when you can thank you if you dont mind!!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/341197-uniquee-pico/

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Definitely going to follow, I've been looking for a small tank to do for my next year of college! Something small, and this almost perfectly fits the bill!

• 1 month later...

Well its been a while but i'v decided to update. Struggling with some cyno or diatoms right now. headed to my LFS at lunch to up my clean up crew. I think the pistol shrimp has a taste for things in shells ;) or he buries them under sand and they die. But its ok, the shrimp is still my favorite thing to watch, really fascinating how he digs and moves rocks around!

post-73799-0-12306900-1398266602_thumb.jpg

Archived