SaltCritters.com

Want to buy a leather

91mini

I researched the cabbage leather and think this may be what I want. Any other suggestions on cool leather's for a nano? I would like something pink if that is possible. My specs are below.

My tank may be too cramped though and I was thinking about adding live or dry rock to the large opening I have in the back of my tank to attach it too.Would this be OK? If not from the picture I attached do you think I have a suitable spot to put it? I was thinking the tank is too cramped but I see other tanks on here that have so much coral that they are touching each other and you can barely see any LR. I would like for mine to look like this eventually. I am loving watching these guys expand and take up more space.

Can you add more rock into the system without harming anything? I would prefer to buy some dry rock so I don't add any hitchhikers. This tank has been running for a year and the last thing I would want right now is to disturb the good thing I have going.

post-67333-1333936839_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

You can add rock just make sure its cured by YOU before you put it in there.Leathers are pretty hardy i wouldnt worry about adding one but if you put it right up against something that stings then your asking for trouble.

I will move or sell that button polyp on the plug in the aquarium on the right side and place it there I think.

If I get dry rock I should not have to worry about curing right? Can just put that right in?

Just a bit of fore warning, all leather corals get big. Toadstools, colt coral, cabbage leathers, I've seen them all a foot tall and all most as wide. That said you'll obviously want to keep up on fragging them, but that's easy to do with leathers. By most nano reefing standards, you have a ton of space left for coral.

Dry rock can just be added, no worries about a cycle. It would be a good idea to make sure they aren't covered in dust from shipping.

Well, there is a type of "mini-toadstool" leather that simply repeatedly splits or divides with growth, never getting bigger than about 3" for each head that develops - takes on a "colonial" appearance. I have had one for a couple of years and it/ they just keep splitting and creeping...I think I saw them offered online a few times recently too, although I picked one up at my LFS.

Thanks for the advice. I have started a 100G project but am doing it slow. Projected to finish it and have it cycled by late summer. I'm hoping that I can frag some of my nanos coral to put in it. So i guess I will plan to get a small leather so by the time it grows i can move it over and frag out another piece for the nano.

I actually have a tongue coral that is getting really big in the nano. It will be the first to move.

I like how your tank is set up...love how the palys on the back board are growing right on there...lol. I'm thinking of adding some rock myself in my tank. I got enough space in the back and could use some more areas for putting coral on. Of course, I've thought about putting some leather corals in as well...but finding someone selling them are rare, especially at my LFS. IDK..maybe it's just my timing...lol.

Archived