inTank Media Baskets

aquaclear filter into refugium

illdoya

Hey everyone!

So reading other thread got me thinking - the aquaclear 70 (or bigger needed?) - can be made into a refugium?

What is needed to make this? Is it worth it? Is the AC 70 the best filter to mod like this?

Does refugium need separate lighting? Does the AC filter series have stand-alone lighting?

This will help me grow beneficial bacteria/plankton/copepods (sorry for misspelled lol) right?

I am hoping to keep a mandarin in this one but have read about its needing live pods... is this a good solution?

So I know - a ton of questions - help and advise for a newbie?

Thanks in advance!!!

Use the search bar there are like a 100 threads and guides to making it and why to use it. Good step in this hobby is research first.

Yes

Maybe

Yes

Yes

No

Yes you can mod it. Its probably one of the best for the mod due to how much space is in it. You need lighting. It gives pods a place to live. You won't keep a mandarin in a 10 gallon unless it's gladly eating frozen.

Hey everyone!
Hello!

So reading other thread got me thinking - the aquaclear 70 (or bigger needed?) - can be made into a refugium?
Yes.

What is needed to make this? Is it worth it? Is the AC 70 the best filter to mod like this?
It can be as simple as the AC and a light, or you can grab an intank basket for it.

Does refugium need separate lighting? Does the AC filter series have stand-alone lighting?
It needs one, they don't. There is an easy DIY mod for a plastic gang box. Some pictures of mine are here in this thread if you scroll down.

This will help me grow beneficial bacteria/plankton/copepods (sorry for misspelled lol) right?
Mostly used for growing macro algee. Can be predator breeding grounds for copepods, but the amount that will breed is dependent on the size of the situation.

I am hoping to keep a mandarin in this one but have read about its needing live pods... is this a good solution?
I know of no one who has been able to keep a mandrain in a 10 gallon with a self sufficent pod population.

So I know - a ton of questions - help and advise for a newbie?

Thanks in advance!!!

Mandrains are exremely beautiful fish, but you won't be able to get them to survive on pods in a 10 gallon. You might be able to get one to survive as the only fish in a 10 gallon if you could train it on frozen, but the mandrain police would probably come after you if you tried.

AC HOB fuges are great. As stated above, I've got one, the mod is easy. If I were to do it again, I'd probably get the AC110 though. The extra space for equipment, purigen and chemi-pure etc.

Ive been watching youtube videos of it it to get s better idea and it looks like the 110 is the go-to unit so ill probe spend the extra few bucks lol

Thanks for posting the link to that thread gonna check tonight

Archived