Cultivated Reef

Need advice on adding new clown

pschom

A few days ago one of my clowns (I had two) jumped when the other was plastering it. Sadly it died. So I got another. I have the new one in a small breeder box for now. Both fish are sleeping together side by side. Question is, how long should I keep the clown in the breeder? Both look pretty happy that the other is there.

I have a top now so they cat get out.

I'd give it at least 24 hrs, feed the tank, then let the new clown out right before the lights turn off. Hopefully with a full belly and no lights your first clown won't be as aggressive. Let us know how it goes.

I'd give it at least 24 hrs, feed the tank, then let the new clown out right before the lights turn off. Hopefully with a full belly and no lights your first clown won't be as aggressive. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks. You think today, or should I wait until Monday evening?

You don't say what species of clowns you have which would help more as some are more aggressive towards one another than others. Also which of the two is the larger, perhaps the original one? However as all looks well at the moment I would introduce them soon and obviously keep a close eye on them. The original one may do some shaking and posturing but as long as there is no real aggression then they should be fine. .

You don't say what species of clowns you have which would help more as some are more aggressive towards one another than others. Also which of the two id the larger, perhaps the original one? However as all looks well at the moment I would introduce them soon and obviously keep a close eye on them. The original one may do some shaking and posturing but as long as there is no real aggression then they should be fine. .

Thanks. Both are Ocellaris. Larger one is the one already in the tank. So I guess I'll drop the new one in tonight after a good feeding and close to lights out. Fingers crossed.

Thanks. Both are Ocellaris. Larger one is the one already in the tank. So I guess I'll drop the new one in tonight after a good feeding and close to lights out. Fingers crossed.

Good luck, always hard to call these things but IME all should be well. Hopefully the larger one will become a female (if it isn't already)The new edition which is most probably a sub adult will become male (if it isn't already). I think you stand a very good chance of pairing them without to many problems. Let us now how the introductions go.

Good luck, always hard to call these things but IME all should be well. Hopefully the larger one will become a female (if it isn't already)The new edition which is most probably a sub adult will become male (if it isn't already). I think you stand a very good chance of pairing them without to many problems. Let us now how the introductions go.

Interesting. What makes you say this? I mean, what are the determining factors and other stuff I don't know? ;)

Interesting. What makes you say this? I mean, what are the determining factors and other stuff I don't know? ;)

Well known and documented that male clowns can change into females but not the other way round. The dominant fish (usually the larger of the two) will become the female while the sub adult will stay smaller then the female and stay or turn into a male.

Common clowns in the wild usually consist of a matted pair in their host anemone along with a number of sub adults. Should the female die then normally the male will move up become female and take her roll while one of the sub adults will move up the pecking order and become the male and her mate.

Captain Hook

I had the same situation with my black percs, I added a smaller one after the large one had been in there for 8-9 months alone. It kinda bullied it a bit and chased it around like crazy for a week or 2 and than it calmed down a bit. At some points it chased it right into the overflow and I had to put the bigger clown in the sump for a few days. This seemed to help, so if it should happen....I recall reading advice on adding a larger fish as opposed to a smaller clown fish, but I made it work so Im sure you can too. Also feeding when adding and lights out helps. I fed my big clown alot before I added the smaller one.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give them a feast of a supper tonight and drop the new one in afterwards. As it is now the larger one seems ok with the small breeder box and clown in its sleeping spot. Hasn't really shown aggression. I'll update tomorrow.

Since I added the new one I hasn't seen any aggression at all. Maybe they think I'm feeding when I look in so they stop F'n around. They slept on each other all night and are swimming together this morning...almost in unison.

Couple Pics (if you want to hate on my Yellow Tang please visit my tank thread)

fbc8d23c.jpg

78283774.jpg

Archived