Coral Vue Hydros

Why the algae?

bryanphillips

bryanphillips

I just tested my water and my nutrients are all zero; my phosphate may be closer to 0.25 but nothing extreme. I have recently seen an increase in my bubble algae population, some weird hair like macro (not hair algae) and red slime have started to grow in my tank. My tank is just about two months old and I have had no problems before this. I do regular water changes and use RO water. My lighting is two PAR30s over a 10g. Any ideas of what I can do?

Thanks, Bryan

disaster999

you using RO or RO/DI water? add DI if you are only using RO

if you are using RO/DI water, check the TDS and see if filters needs to be replaced

run some GFO media or the new PO4X4 pellets to absord PO4 in your tank.

red slime algae usually means an excess of nutrients in your tank. feed less, increase flow, change carbon, more water changes to bring nutrient level low.

bryanphillips

It is an RODI unit and the filters were changed in December. My tests show nitrates at 0, phosphate 0-.25. I have started to feed less and the flow in my 10g is over 650gph. I guess I will just have to try some carbon or phosphate remover but not sure what it would be removing? Thanks for the reply btw

It is an RODI unit and the filters were changed in December. My tests show nitrates at 0, phosphate 0-.25. I have started to feed less and the flow in my 10g is over 650gph. I guess I will just have to try some carbon or phosphate remover but not sure what it would be removing? Thanks for the reply btw

Phosphate at .25 is pretty high... Macro algae or GFO will help you out as well as feeding less.

Phosphate at .25 is pretty high... Macro algae or GFO will help you out as well as feeding less.

Yes that is high are you using a hanna checker? With reagent tests the phosphate tests are very hard to be accurate at low levels. I was reading zero and still had lots of phosphates. Phosphates are taken up so fast that the test cant read them.

Test results would be skewed if the presence of undesirable algae is showing up.

2 months old isn't that old and probably just took a while for the buildup to spur the growth.

I don't know much about the PAR30 bulbs, but reduce to 1 or the lighting duration.

you using RO or RO/DI water? add DI if you are only using RO

if you are using RO/DI water, check the TDS and see if filters needs to be replaced

run some GFO media or the new PO4X4 pellets to absord PO4 in your tank.

red slime algae usually means an excess of nutrients in your tank. feed less, increase flow, change carbon, more water changes to bring nutrient level low.

^This and try some Chemi Pure Elite

Thing to do is get your nutrients down, then everything will take care if itself in time. Doesn't look like your running a skimmer or reactor. There is just no way you can keep feeding your tank with no real means of exporting the nutrient. I agree with bazzarro, it likely took 2 months for the nutrients to build up in the substrate, now your saturated and the the algae has begun. I might look into a small reactor and run RowaPhos or some other GFO, but this may not solve the issue completely. I would also look into a HOB fuge with some macro. These may help but only if you cut the feeding down for a while.

bryanphillips

I feel like if I feed any less, my fish will be eating barely anything. How little can they live off of? I feed just flake and mysis. I will set up the fuge, I already have an AC fuge but was waiting on some chaeto to come in to the LFS that has. I was told to get rid of the any carbon so I did, I run carbon 24/7 on my other FOWLR but I was told not a good idea for these tanks. Should I add some carbon in addition to a phosphate remover? Thanks guys.

I don't run a skimmer, carbon, or use phosphates remover. I have LR, a CPR hang on fuge, and perform water changes weekly.

Using those media will not fix your problem, there's a source that's fueling it.

If you have high nutrients and too much lighting it's just going to increase more algae growth.

I reduced feeding to once a day.

I feel like if I feed any less, my fish will be eating barely anything. How little can they live off of? I feed just flake and mysis. I will set up the fuge, I already have an AC fuge but was waiting on some chaeto to come in to the LFS that has. I was told to get rid of the any carbon so I did, I run carbon 24/7 on my other FOWLR but I was told not a good idea for these tanks. Should I add some carbon in addition to a phosphate remover? Thanks guys.

Some flake foods are very high in phosphates.

bryanphillips

I've been feeding flake foods to my fish for as long as I've had aquariums. What could I replace that part of my feeding with. And I will just have to see if adding some macro will help in addition to maybe an hour off my lighting schedule.

I've been feeding flake foods to my fish for as long as I've had aquariums. What could I replace that part of my feeding with. And I will just have to see if adding some macro will help in addition to maybe an hour off my lighting schedule.

How long are your lights on for now? Generally 7-8 hours is recommended. I feed frozen food. I first soak it in tank water to melt. Then I put it in a metal sieve and rinse it before adding it to my tank.

How long are your lights on for now? Generally 7-8 hours is recommended. I feed frozen food. I first soak it in tank water to melt. Then I put it in a metal sieve and rinse it before adding it to my tank.

+1 and I also add a little bit of New Life Spectrum pellets.

bryanphillips

My lights are timed on for longer than that, they come on at 1030 and go off just before 8. I'll cut that down a lil and look into some frozen foods. Also maybe a little larger water changes every other time.

Archived