SaltCritters.com

About to install my new RODI. Have question

91mini

I went to Lowes and got everything I need to install it. Will be installing it in the laundry room with lag bolts to the wall.

Can anyone give me some basic tips on what to do after installation? I know the some of the basics, like black is waste, blue is fresh water. Got the Y splitter from Lowes to hook up with the water coming out for the washer. Only one I could find was one used for garden hoses like this one.

Is there anything I should do when I run it for the first time? If I let it run until TDS shows 0 is that good enough?

Any other tips would be helpful too. Thanks

skimlessinseattle

Let it run for an hour prior to using it for your tank, even if it reads 0TDS after several minutes. This will ensure any fine particles have flushed out of the system.

godfathernikki
I went to Lowes and got everything I need to install it. Will be installing it in the laundry room with lag bolts to the wall.

Can anyone give me some basic tips on what to do after installation? I know the some of the basics, like black is waste, blue is fresh water. Got the Y splitter from Lowes to hook up with the water coming out for the washer. Only one I could find was one used for garden hoses like this one.

Is there anything I should do when I run it for the first time? If I let it run until TDS shows 0 is that good enough?

Any other tips would be helpful too. Thanks

You'll need to clean the membrane, they usually have a preservative on them.

Take out your di cartrage (and post filter if you have one) then run your system for a while. I think I let mine run for like 15-20 min, then checked the tds over a few more min to make sure it had stopped dropping. Once the membrane is flushed you can put your filters back in.

I also ran mine after that for another 20 min or so to flush out my carbon post filter that's on my drinking water line(I have mine set up with one tap for ro water, and another tap for rodi water)

May have jumped the gun. I installed it and started to run it already without taking out any of the cartriages to let it run for an hour. Will I be OK?

TDS coming in is 145 and out is 0 right now.

godfathernikki
May have jumped the gun. I installed it and started to run it already without taking out any of the cartriages to let it run for an hour. Will I be OK?

TDS coming in is 145 and out is 0 right now.

probably, as far as I know removing the di is to keep from using it up from sucking up all the gunk you flush out of your new membrane. You still probably shouldnt use the first few gallons though, just to be safe

For the first gallon out fresh I got 2 gallons of waste. I will continue to monitor the waste / fresh ratio. It should be 4:1 correct?

Also, I bought 2 straight valves to place on the waste and fresh water lines. Can I leave the water full open from the source and use the straight valves when I need water? Constant pressure shouldn't be a problem on the RO/DI unit right?

TDS out is still 0. Tested it with handheld tester and still 0

TDS in is around 145. Tested the waste water and its 247 TDS

I've read every word in the manual and it did not say anything about removing the filters and running the system before operation so I should be OK there I think.

It did however give instructions for the restrictor. Which they give you a calculation to follow. I cut the restitctor a little at a time to be safe because it didn't seem like the chart matched the ml that I was getting out of the unit. I cut it until there was only a nub left on it and now it gets 3.75:1 ratio but makes a noise.

C.I._Reefer

Cool, what are you getting after the membrane but before the DI? Should be good with a spectrapure, but you'll wanna kno since that is integral to the life of the DI resin

Just follow whats in the manual especially the output ratio. 3.75/ 1 is still too low. Also make sure your pressure is high enough.

BTW, the black tubing is not waste, its the input from your water source, the yellow is waste.

godfathernikki
Just follow whats in the manual especially the output ratio. 3.75/ 1 is still too low. Also make sure your pressure is high enough.

BTW, the black tubing is not waste, its the input from your water source, the yellow is waste.

If he cant get it higher than that he may have the same issue I'm having, which is too MUCH pressure. Ive got my flow restrictor as short as it can go and I still get about 3.7:1 at 100psi. I'm probably going to end up putting a pressure reducer on the system to correct it.

godfathernikki
I'd contact the manufacture and see what they say.

If he has the same $120 system from spectrapure that I have, it says 80psi max and 4:1min in the manufacturers instruction book.

And by looking at the charts provided in it for flow rate to restrictor length, you can see that you will never be able to cut it short enough for the proper ratio if your pressure is too high.

Archived