whitlock

whitlock

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2004
  • Aurora, Illinois

Hey All,

I need some advice on fragging some green star polyps. I have a large rock covered in them and they have grown up on the back glass of my tank. The mat on the glass is about 6" long and 4" high. If I slice the mat away from the rock, will the mat peel off the glass easily or will I need to slide a razor blade under it to release it from the glass. Or would it be better to slice it into a grid while on the glass and remove it piece by piece? Thanks for any help.

DIstudio

DIstudio

Destroyer of Donkeys

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Joined 14 Jun 2011
  • Central Illinois
should peel off relatively easy. then slice into 1" squares...in 3 weeks you'll have a garden of GSP...stuff's a weed!
the main system!

Aequitas, D's 2.5 gallon pico!

DONKEYS.... They will eat you alive. True story.

Dear Sallie Mae....KISS THE DARKEST PART OF MY HAIRY WHITE @SS.....

Hoosierfan

Hoosierfan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 26 Feb 2008
  • Nicks English Hut, Bloomington, Indiana
I'd remove it from the glass and then cut it. You may or may not have to pry it loose with a razor. As a general rule, You usually don't want to cut the coral any more than you have to while inside the display tank. Do it in a tupperware dish or something.

spanko

spanko

Somewhere there is a place where we belong.

• Members
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined 01 Feb 2007
  • Michigan
You may be able to slide a credit card between the glass and the mat also. I agree do as much slicing as you can outside of the tank.

whitlock

whitlock

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2004
  • Aurora, Illinois
Thanks everyone, I will do most of the cutting in a separate container. I would like to avoid any type of "coral glue" and let them attach to small rock pieces naturally, if I tie them loosely to the rocks with fishing line, how long before they grab on?

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Tropics

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Ayrshire, Scotland
You're better off with the glue. I tried rubber banding mine to a piece of rock, 3 weeks later still no luck! ended up super glueing them to my back wall instead. started growing about a week after the glueing.