1. Would 12 LEDs be too much, just enough or not enough light for the 5g? I plan to take a few frags out of my main display and I have a mixed reef with some hardy SPS (birdsnest) alot of LPS and Softies). I don't think I want to do SPS in the pico though. ( I haven't built the fixture yet so I could use as many or as few as are needed)
2. I have an old maxijet 1200 that I want to use as my return... would that be too much flow? I do have a plan to put a valve in the return to tone it down if needed ( the plan is to drill a small hole in the return before the valve to reduce the pressure that might build up if I turn the valve down). Also would I need any additional flow in the tank... like powerheads?
3. If lighting is sufficient, are there any other foreseeable issues with keeping anemones in a Pico. I would love to get one of those Neon Tube Anemones and other kinds as well. What other species focused setups could work in a pico?
4. I'd like to use black sand but the only places I have seen selling them only sell 20lb bags. Where could I get black reef safe sand in smaller amounts? I don't need live because I'll be using LR from my main display
5. I've mostly ruled out putting fish in the tank but... if I did which ones would you guys recommend... from your experiences?
6. Any other tips/tricks I should know about before I get going? Ive been reefing for over a year and I know the attention to detail that will be required for a tank this small.
Sorry for the long post guys and thanks in advance for any answers, comments, and suggestions.