Photo

Marineland Double Bright LED Light - Yay or Nay?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Willie

Willie

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 20 Mar 2012

Hey reefers,

I've got a 10g FOWLR tank right now that came with standard LED's in the canopy hood. I love the LED shimmer effect and being a Canuck i've found this company and fixture:

http://www.jlaquatic.....24 Inch).html

I'm wondering if anyones (Canadians) got this fixture or have used JL before? I'd like to grow torch, fogspawn, hammer, and some other easy-ish corals.

Cheers.

10g Journey

New 10 Gallon has begun! *** Black clownfish added Mar 19 - 2012 ***

16bio

16bio

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Joined 03 Dec 2011

Hey reefers,

I've got a 10g FOWLR tank right now that came with standard LED's in the canopy hood. I love the LED shimmer effect and being a Canuck i've found this company and fixture:

I'm wondering if anyones (Canadians) got this fixture or have used JL before? I'd like to grow torch, fogspawn, hammer, and some other easy-ish corals.

Cheers.

This is a great light and the peeps at J and L are great and will help you with any and everything!
I would say this light will work great for your purposes.

C.I._Reefer

C.I._Reefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  • Joined 20 Jan 2012

This is a great light and the peeps at J and L are great and will help you with any and everything!
I would say this light will work great for your purposes.

Dude what are you smoking? lol. I wouldn't event try to keep softies under that fixture, and if you pay $80 for it you are on drugs. Its just simply not reef lighting. For 80 you could diy a really nice sps capable fixture for a 10 gallon. Definatey NAY

jonny roks

jonny roks

JonnyJ

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • New York

Hey reefers,

Cheers.

no, no, no, no. no good.

Willie

Willie

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 20 Mar 2012
Damn. Well I guess it doesnt say anything about saltwater nor coral use. I guess I'll keep hunting. I've loved the shimmer affect of MH's but I find LED's give similar looks and don't overheat. Does anyone have other comparably priced (under $150) fixtures that can grow a good amount of corals?

Cheers.

10g Journey

New 10 Gallon has begun! *** Black clownfish added Mar 19 - 2012 ***

cniemira

cniemira

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 19 Nov 2009
  • Northern Virginia

I'm wondering if anyones (Canadians) got this fixture or have used JL before? I'd like to grow torch, fogspawn, hammer, and some other easy-ish corals

FWIW - I'm not Canadian, but I do own that fixture. I've keep frogspawn and hammer corals under it. They did okay, but there certainly wasn't any growth to speak of. After a while the lights started to fade and die out, and the coral didn't like that at all, so I replaced the thing.

I'd have felt gypped had I paid for the thing, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a reef tank.
My only advice: triple check the validity of any advise you get.

C.I._Reefer

C.I._Reefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  • Joined 20 Jan 2012

Damn. Well I guess it doesnt say anything about saltwater nor coral use. I guess I'll keep hunting. I've loved the shimmer affect of MH's but I find LED's give similar looks and don't overheat. Does anyone have other comparably priced (under $150) fixtures that can grow a good amount of corals?

Cheers.

aquastyles ships to canada dont they? you could diy a really nice LED fixture for less than $100. GU10s are really good too.

halcyonism

halcyonism

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2011
  • Yakima, WA
Just get a PAR38 bulb for $90 and be done with it, should be plenty of light for a 10g tank.

cuboy

cuboy

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined 02 Aug 2008
i have the marineland reef led light on my 10g. it's not bad, but the colors are bland. not enough blue.

good thing that tank is fish only. i threw some ugly palyps in there, and they looked even uglier under that light.

a par39 might not provide enogh coverage for a 10g. you'll have dark corners, but it's not to bad