ReefCleaners.org

Marineland Double Bright LED Light - Yay or Nay?

Willie

Hey reefers,

I've got a 10g FOWLR tank right now that came with standard LED's in the canopy hood. I love the LED shimmer effect and being a Canuck i've found this company and fixture:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ld-mldb1...24+Inch%29.html

I'm wondering if anyones (Canadians) got this fixture or have used JL before? I'd like to grow torch, fogspawn, hammer, and some other easy-ish corals.

Cheers.

Hey reefers,

I've got a 10g FOWLR tank right now that came with standard LED's in the canopy hood. I love the LED shimmer effect and being a Canuck i've found this company and fixture:

I'm wondering if anyones (Canadians) got this fixture or have used JL before? I'd like to grow torch, fogspawn, hammer, and some other easy-ish corals.

Cheers.

This is a great light and the peeps at J and L are great and will help you with any and everything!

I would say this light will work great for your purposes.

C.I._Reefer
This is a great light and the peeps at J and L are great and will help you with any and everything!

I would say this light will work great for your purposes.

Dude what are you smoking? lol. I wouldn't event try to keep softies under that fixture, and if you pay $80 for it you are on drugs. Its just simply not reef lighting. For 80 you could diy a really nice sps capable fixture for a 10 gallon. Definatey NAY

Hey reefers,

Cheers.

no, no, no, no. no good.

Damn. Well I guess it doesnt say anything about saltwater nor coral use. I guess I'll keep hunting. I've loved the shimmer affect of MH's but I find LED's give similar looks and don't overheat. Does anyone have other comparably priced (under $150) fixtures that can grow a good amount of corals?

Cheers.

I'm wondering if anyones (Canadians) got this fixture or have used JL before? I'd like to grow torch, fogspawn, hammer, and some other easy-ish corals

FWIW - I'm not Canadian, but I do own that fixture. I've keep frogspawn and hammer corals under it. They did okay, but there certainly wasn't any growth to speak of. After a while the lights started to fade and die out, and the coral didn't like that at all, so I replaced the thing.

I'd have felt gypped had I paid for the thing, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a reef tank.

C.I._Reefer
Damn. Well I guess it doesnt say anything about saltwater nor coral use. I guess I'll keep hunting. I've loved the shimmer affect of MH's but I find LED's give similar looks and don't overheat. Does anyone have other comparably priced (under $150) fixtures that can grow a good amount of corals?

Cheers.

aquastyles ships to canada dont they? you could diy a really nice LED fixture for less than $100. GU10s are really good too.

i have the marineland reef led light on my 10g. it's not bad, but the colors are bland. not enough blue.

good thing that tank is fish only. i threw some ugly palyps in there, and they looked even uglier under that light.

a par39 might not provide enogh coverage for a 10g. you'll have dark corners, but it's not to bad

Archived