inTank Media Baskets

BB or DSB.....any thoughts?

bucfan

I cannot decide on whether to go BB or DSB with my new 100g set up. I know that BB tanks are so much easier to keep clean. Only problem is until you get a good layer of coraline algae on the bottom you are left staring at the bare glass bottom which can be an eye sore. And it also limits some critters you can have. On the other hand a DSB (which I have run on my nano for 18 months) gives a more natural look but is harder to maintain. Also, you run the risk of a nutrient spike should anything get terribly disturbed. And critters can die off under the sand bed and you never know it. Also, after some time the deeper sand layers starts showing up dirty colors. Never had a shallow sand bed so I'm not familiar with that. I am now not sure which way to go. Any suggestions to help me decide will be appreciated.

I’ve been thinking about going BB. This guy gives directions to paint the bottom to look like sand. The brown one actually looks like real sand in the pics.

http://www.fishyreview.com/fake_sand.html

That looks, really, REALLY good. I'm suddenly finding my self really tempted to go BB on my next tank, even though that hadn't even been a consideration a very short time ago.

saw a guy recently mix clear epoxy or something with sand in bottom of tank so he has a sand bottom but technically it is a bare bottom because all the sand it hardened together

1fishmonger
saw a guy recently mix clear epoxy or something with sand in bottom of tank so he has a sand bottom but technically it is a bare bottom because all the sand it hardened together

Sounds very permanent hah.

chucktdbm321

i have a tank with that is bb and has the bottom and back painted black looks very sharp and doesn't have the awful reflection from the bare glass

Personally i fancy shallow sand beds.

You don't have to worry about it getting disturbed and realeasing a lot of nasty stuff, any my Conch keeps it nice and white 24/7

Archived