Coral Vue Hydros

15 gallon Kessil lit.

miniwhinny

I've been doing that for the last 8 months on my 10g. All I have is a Koralia nano 425, and not so religious water changes. Only thing I've lost is my scolly, but looking back I have a strong suspicion that is because I let it go too long without a WC and there was not enough calcium left in the water.

I say go for it!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like it can easily be done but has the downside of blowing particulates not being removed.

I'll have to give this some more thought before I decide.

If your 15 is sitting under a cabinet, you could drill a small hole underneath and run two .5" black PVC tubes to a 5g tank with a Hydor slim skim or whatever inside. You could run chem filtration in there as well. You'd have to section off a small square in the display for a pump and return. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. If you put some thought into it you could make it look real nice. Pre cut acrylic costs next to nothing.

If your 15 is sitting under a cabinet, you could drill a small hole underneath and run two .5" black PVC tubes to a 5g tank with a Hydor slim skim or whatever inside. You could run chem filtration in there as well. You'd have to section off a small square in the display for a pump and return. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. If you put some thought into it you could make it look real nice. Pre cut acrylic costs next to nothing.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good idea. I think hubby's patience would wear thin if he caught me drilling holes in the cabinets though ;) Don't want to push my luck - he's pretty tolerant of my addiction so far.

My options are to either run it Berlin with nothing or to paint the back short side and run a HOB filter there. I was trying not to have a gazillion wires all over my counter - maybe I'll have to make some sort of box that can hide them.

Berlin won't really work here as it requires a DSB and live rock. all your going to have is live rock. I honestly think that you'll be fine with the limited livestock you are putting in here.

With some diligent husbandry you should be fine filterless.

As far as flying particulate goes this could actually benefit the dendro. You could also just make part of your weekly maintenance to run a filter on it for an hour or so to remove the particulate if it bothers you. I think you will be fine though just allow the particles to settle and vacuum them out with the waste water. This will get most of it under control.. Simple is often the best solution.. try not to over think it.

neonstingray

I assume you need to avoid any guys that would try to sift through or burrow in sand to avoid playing a sick joke on them? I'm interested to see how this looks.

Austin

Berlin won't really work here as it requires a DSB and live rock. all your going to have is live rock. I honestly think that you'll be fine with the limited livestock you are putting in here.

With some diligent husbandry you should be fine filterless.

As far as flying particulate goes this could actually benefit the dendro. You could also just make part of your weekly maintenance to run a filter on it for an hour or so to remove the particulate if it bothers you. I think you will be fine though just allow the particles to settle and vacuum them out with the waste water. This will get most of it under control.. Simple is often the best solution.. try not to over think it.

You've convinced me. Filterless it shall be :) After all I can always add stuff later if I feel I'm not succeeding.

I assume you need to avoid any guys that would try to sift through or burrow in sand to avoid playing a sick joke on them? I'm interested to see how this looks.

Austin

Oh wouldn't that be so mean (*evil chuckle*) ;)

Well today is the big move and I'm NOT looking forward to it. All of my "good" stuff is going into this 15 and it will become my main tank in the future. I'm also babysitting my sons 20L (indefinitely) and for teh past week have had 4 poor fish (waiting for this move today) sitting in a 5 gallon!

So, my stuff gets moved to the 15.

The 5 gets everything put into large buckets, the tank taken down and cleaned.

The 20L gets everything put into large buckets, the tank taken down and cleaned.

The 40B has what's left put into large buckets.

Then...

The 40 B gets split in half with some glass and silicone (the Berlin Wall as I'm calling it) so I can combine the 20L, the 5 and what's left from the 40 into one tank. I need my sons stuff separated so I know what's his for when he eventually wants it back. I'll post pics when I'm done lol.

The move went well. Of course it took me all day yesterday to get the 'scaping the way I wanted it but I can honestly say "I'm happy" :)

I moved over my best stuff and put on the Kessil. I'm still working on the hanging system for my Rapids - should be ready this evening so I can add those too.

So here's some pics.

1513.jpg

1514.jpg

1515.jpg

1516.jpg

1517.jpg

1518.jpg

1519.jpg

1520.jpg

1521.jpg

1522.jpg

1523.jpg

1524.jpg

IMO hands down best aquascape I've seen on NR. And I love mini nems so... This is truly inspiring. Tanks like this are 30% of what keeps me doing this. ;) So nice. Ok I'm done.

Thanks for the kind words guys :) Much appreciated. I did have the advantage of being able to make an "instant reef" by being able to transfer everything including the water from my other tanks.

...and pschom...WOW! What a compliment! I'm very humbled...thank you :)

I highly recommend the 15,000k Kessil A150w to anyone seeking that color pop from their corals. I've never seen my corals look so stunning as they do under the Kessil Ocean Blue. The color pop seems to be across the range too. I've got greens popping, reds popping, oranges, purples and blues all glowing like they're on fire.

Archived