6 replies to this topic

harleychic

harleychic

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Joined 14 Apr 2007
  • Toledo, Ohio

I'm not sure why, probably my low budget Finnex clamp on lamp, but, starting to get some green going on on my LR. I'm doing 20% water changes once or twice a week. Is there a snail that will help me, without starving to death in a short time?
10 gal NPS with tube anemones, sun coral
10 gal reef
numerous picos with weird and wonderful inverts
2.5 gal FW (my first and only FW) with dwarf frog, ghost shrimp, plants
1 amazing jabbering African Grey parrot

Chris George

Chris George

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Joined 20 Jan 2009
  • Silverstand Beach, CA
Dwarf Ceriths are good algae eaters but don't require a lot to live. My larger snails have all started dropping off since I have almost no algae in the tank, but those dwarf ceriths are up on the glass cleaning every day.

Getting back to the fact you aren't sure why you're getting algae. Have you tested the water you're using for top-off and for water changes? I'm going to say that the vast majority of algae outbreaks can be traced back to the source water.

brandon429

brandon429

• Members
  • 5,250 posts
  • Joined 16 Feb 2002
  • Tx
Also post pics

Depending how things looks you may need to manually remove it
After the fact snail/crab/anything additions to remove algae work about 10% of the time-usually they don't go where you want them to

one very old pico

tennis20

tennis20

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 06 Feb 2012
  • Classified
My margarita snails do great

and emerald crabs
I like spongebob 

My 6 Gallon (Retired)
http://www.nano-reef...p;#entry3788341

The Nothing from the Ocean RSM 130
http://www.nano-reef...-130/?p=4449848

Formula462

Formula462

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,499 posts
  • Joined 20 Apr 2009
  • Texas
margarita or black turbo snails are not true tropical snails. they are temperate water snails and in temps above 77 they really don't last that long. most of the time anyway. I loooove Nerite snails. small, efficient, pretty shells, and they like to get where the glass meets the sand. they clean that are better than i can.

Deano

Deano

The 3 eyed monster "RIP"

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  • Joined 28 Nov 2006
  • The Land of Oz
I would agree with the above post, Margarites are not a good choice. They have a tendency to crawl out of the tank and there survival is iffy. I have tried Ceriths, Dwarf and Large but I have had little luck with survival.

+1 Nerite is my favorite snail and the Tapestry Nerite Snail sold by Reefs2go is the best choice for a Pico. They are small, attractive, great survival and will stay in the tank, best of all do a good job cleaning the algae from your rocks.

Edited by Deano, 26 February 2012 - 06:54 AM.

d0lph1n

d0lph1n

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • Joined 02 Feb 2011
  • Newport Beach, CA
Check if your LFS has this type of snails and try one:
http://www.liveaquar...amp;pcatid=2844

Edited by d0lph1n, 26 February 2012 - 02:39 PM.