Top Shelf Aquatics

My Chaeto has HERPES!

like-fish

topic line says it all. Assuming this is red bubble algae. None in the display yet. I will keep an eye out. and remove as i find it. Any other suggestions (please noone say condoms)

IMAG0066.jpg

Looks like Botryocladia skottsbergii (Red Bubble Algae) to me. None of those are sexually mature so that's a good sign. You will know they are mature when they form dark spots on the surface of the bubble. An example of the algae's appearance when sexually mature is shown in Jruberti's post (links 1 and 3). Remove them as you see them, try not to pop them, if you find one with spots its best to remove the rock from the tank and break off the fragment of rock that the algae is on.

Red bubble algae, in my opinion, is the most difficult thing to get rid of. Other stuff I was always able to starve out or treat but not this stuff. Good luck.

If its only on the cheato right now i would remove all of the cheato and replace it. 5 to ten bucks for a clump of cheato or a possible bubble algae nightmare

There is a huge debate that has been raging between san diego aquarium enthusiasts for years, about using real ocean water from the scripps pier. it is filtered through some mystical 7-stage filter, is free and lots of people use it, but the biggest warning it: you may get red algae.

after looking at pictures of this crap, i am definitely not going to use that water.... heh

If its only on the cheato right now i would remove all of the cheato and replace it. 5 to ten bucks for a clump of cheato or a possible bubble algae nightmare

+1

Archived