SaltCritters.com

20L De-Rimmed

avalanche1201

avalanche1201

***update***

I have modified my Current 36w lighting system to hang it from the stand.

Cover

Picture008.jpg

Bulbs

Picture009.jpg

Reflector

Picture010-1.jpg

Once I removed the cover and the bulbs I got down to the reflector and removed that by taking out the four screws in the corner. Once the reflector was removed I drilled 4 holes. One (1) next to the ballast and One (1) next to the switches. As well as Two (2) more more towards the middle of the fixture.

I suspended it with black chain underneath a screw held into place with a washer and nut. Some of the threads are also caught on the metal creating a strong hold with the unit.

Front View hanging:

Picture011-1.jpg

Top View:

Picture012-1.jpg

Now I'm trying to decide on my next move...Start the plumbing or work on saving up for a DIY LED light and other equipment (pumps, skimmer, controllers etc)

Thanks for looking and any input/ideas/suggestions are appreciated

edit:

will fix the image rotation soon

Build looks great, my first tank was a DIY rimless 10g. Never regretted removing it.

I must say, I'm also intrigued by this Tonka Tree. Pic? Lol

can you even drill that tank? I thought all those Aqueon tanks are tempered

I also have the same exact tank from Petco and i drilled 3 holes in the back glass. I believe the 40b are not tempered at all. I think the other sizes from Aqueon are tempered tho

avalanche1201

From the sites I've seen the 20L is not tempered...if that has recently changed I will let you know when I go to drill it.

No updates but I will be sanding the stand down to smooth it out and get rid of the factory markings on the studs. I decided I like the framed out look and it will also help keep weight down by not skinning it. I will be making doors though to help finish off the front.

As for now I will leave you with a picture of the Tonka Tree at night. The photo was shot on 11/07/12 (straight from the camera no post editing)

DSC_2874.jpg

• 1 year later...

What ultimately happened to this build?? I hate threads that just end :( Especially because I love almost everything you're doing and want to know if I should take some of your ideas!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived