Innovative Marine Aquariums

New poker star montipora turning green

mrg02d

Hey guys, I recently got a frag of pokerstar montipora. It is in need of coloring up, but the polyps are a super bright green. I noticed that the skin is starting to turn this neon green now. I looks as if the polyps are bleeding into the skin. Very weird. The polyps are also showing much less extension.

It came from an led lit tank and went into my led lit tank. I started it out near the bottom in direct light. It's now on the sand bed. Has anyone seen this before?

Matt

gulfsurfer101

What are your parameters, I've kept that monty before and the pe was crazy popping. The only time the underskin was visible was under moonlighting once the polyps retracted. Lighting also plays a huge role in sps pigmentation. I use to buy cheap brown sps kept under vho's just to see what it would color up to under my mh's.

Hello, as for parameters I am unsure. I'll have to do a battery of tests. I know that this is the only coral that is acting funny. I've also never seen or heard of this before. Bleaching and browning are common and easily diagnosed, but having the skin turn neon yellow around the polyps is weird. I've been running GFO and doing large water changes. I also got some h202 in the tank when dipping frags for algae. Maybe this is due to parameter swings or suddenly drops in nutrients?

Matt

Might just be a rainbow monti, different lights are different lights

Ahh..another Tallahassee reefer. You must know of high tide aquarium? I got the pokerstar from them, along with most of my corals. They were sure it was a pokerstar as it was fragged right off their mother colony of it. I looked closer and it appears the polyps are browning and the skin around the is what is turning neon green. It's as if the color pigments moved from the polyps to the skin! Wild huh? I bet thesis a first for coral issues!

My first guess is nutrients in the water column. I had my tank go south over the last few months from neglect, but I got to it and got it back into shape. Maybe my tank wasn't ready for new corals and this pokerstar is letting me know? I've got a frag of Jedi mind trick in there doing okay, although I know that that really isn't an indication.

Seems that pH swings or alkalinity swings would effect most the corals, no? Might it be safe to assume high nutrients causing issues?

Matt

Cool! Are you at FSU? I have a few corals from high tide, I go there once a week for my saltwater.

The rest of your corals may be acclimated to your tanks parameters, whether it be higher nutrients than high tides, or larger swings. So that may be why they are still lookin fine while the new frag isn't looking so hot. Alk swings usually end up in burnt corals, where edges or tips "bleach". But my guess would still be lights. Even though the coral is coming from LED to LED, they may be different color LEDs, run at different power, different optics, and at a different level/height, which all factor into the PAR and spectrum available to the coral. So it may just take a while for that particular species to adjust. I've had a hell of a time trying to keep montiporas like sunset and rainbow in color with my tank (even though all other acroporas and my setosa are doing great). I blame it on the LEDs lol

Oh, and I just read your sentence about using H2O2. In my experience lately, my montis don't stand the stuff, it has killed one completely while not affecting my other SPS to try and eradicate some bacteria or gold algae

Cool! Are you at FSU? I have a few corals from high tide, I go there once a week for my saltwater.

The rest of your corals may be acclimated to your tanks parameters, whether it be higher nutrients than high tides, or larger swings. So that may be why they are still lookin fine while the new frag isn't looking so hot. Alk swings usually end up in burnt corals, where edges or tips "bleach". But my guess would still be lights. Even though the coral is coming from LED to LED, they may be different color LEDs, run at different power, different optics, and at a different level/height, which all factor into the PAR and spectrum available to the coral. So it may just take a while for that particular species to adjust. I've had a hell of a time trying to keep montiporas like sunset and rainbow in color with my tank (even though all other acroporas and my setosa are doing great). I blame it on the LEDs lol

Yeap, fsu. Electrical Engineering. How much is high tides saltwater per gallon? I'm wondering just how much a price difference it is from buying it versus mixing it. They have great prices on salt.

I'll keep running my GFO and up the water changes and see what happens. I had sunset monti that did awesome under my LEDs until I let xenias grow up on them and let the water quality drop. Now they are all but gone. Hoping they came back.

Matt

Yeap, fsu. Electrical Engineering. How much is high tides saltwater per gallon? I'm wondering just how much a price difference it is from buying it versus mixing it. They have great prices on salt.

I'll keep running my GFO and up the water changes and see what happens. I had sunset monti that did awesome under my LEDs until I let xenias grow up on them and let the water quality drop. Now they are all but gone. Hoping they came back.

Matt

Very cool man, I'm a Bio major and work in CRMC ER.

Its $4.30 for 5 gallons. But I only have a 4 gallon tank, so it's easier for me to just buy it premixed and use as needed. You may actually try not running the GFO for a bit and see how things react too.

Very cool man, I'm a Bio major and work in CRMC ER.

Its $4.30 for 5 gallons. But I only have a 4 gallon tank, so it's easier for me to just buy it premixed and use as needed. You may actually try not running the GFO for a bit and see how things react too.

Hmmm...I started the GFO after getting the tank back up and running. I need to do a phosphate test and see where they are.

What kind of salt do they use for the premixed water? I might try it out as I have so little time with my degree and work and all.

Matt

Pretty sure it's instant ocean, i havnt had a problem with it yet. I don't test anything either, at all. Don't know my temp, ph, SG, po4, etc... I just let the tank show me.

Reef Crystals?

Yeap, I am using the reef crystals in my tank. One thing I forgot, the last few days I have been running carbon instead of GFO thinking there might be some nastiness in the water. I believe it was during this time that I noticed the pokerstar going weird on me.

I wonder if the carbon stripped something out of the water that the corals need for coloration? Amino acids maybe?

Thanks guys,

Matt

Archived