Coral Vue Hydros

Ethan's 12g Vagabond Tank

ScubaEthan

That monti is in the perfect spot, I think :) What is that macro you have growing? And I love the blastos!!!!! I would like to have some just like that!!!!!

Yay! I'm glad you like the monti spot.

Uh I have no idea what that is. I just made an ID thread on my local reef forum and they think its calurpa and said to get a tang :huh: Not many nanos around here. Would I be committing a reefer sin if I got a teeny tiny one and had a big tank/permanent home lined up for it once it was done eating the algae? Or maybe a sea hare or urchin will do?

Here's some photos... even though they suck <_< There's three kinds of algae. One I can manage, the other two are becoming a pest. They both break into a million pieces if I try to pull them out.

This one is vine-like.

2012-01-30_18-25-19_284.jpg

This one is not vine like.

2012-01-30_18-26-10_241.jpg

I'll trade you some blastos one day. ;) I wish they would grow faster.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No clue on the id's. At least they aren't bryopsis!!!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't do the tang. Too much trouble to try and remove later on. Plus...he's be pretty stressed in a small tank. I'm sure at some point those macros will burn out on their own. There's always a cycle with algae. If I had to suggest something to eat it, I'd say an urchin.

My blasto is a super slow grower too!!!!!

That monti is in the perfect spot, I think :) What is that macro you have growing?

I'd like to reanswer this question.... a weed!!! Ugh I spent 40min picking at it and looks as if I didn't make much progress.

Also, my messing around made the rocks shift and I almost crashed my monti! I *think* I got everything straightened out and secured now. fingerscrossed I apparently don't know how to use that putty epoxy stuff.

I'll probably get a little tuxedo urchin. And hopefully my near future filter additions will help.

Lol I give people free stuff to make up for it though ;) haha

Very true! Its very sweet of you Brad :D The Oceanpulse you sent me is great and the corals seem to be loving it.

I officially suck at sticking corals to rock.

I think most of us do. I'm always seeing people complaining about gluing and I know I am awful at it. It took me 2 hours last night to get all the coral I moved over from the 10 gallon glued onto the rocks in the 30 gallon.

By the way, the shrimp gets on my finger now. Feels weird.

Mine does that too and man does it feel weird. I can try to shake him off and he doesn't budge though, so I'm stuck with him the whole time I'm working on the tank.

Oh and cloves can be really picky. I had to move mine around several times before I found them a spot they liked.

With gluing frags...make a big pile of glue....stick it where you want, and hold for 30 seconds. If its a leaning frag sometimes what ill do is ill make the pile, stick it to the rock then pull it off so the rock has a nice smudge on it put some more on the frag and then hold for a minute - let cure for 5 min w/o flow...voila ;) the superglue gel by locktite canhold the weight of a 5 inch clam attached to the rock, provided the clam doesn't release its foot from the rock :0

Thanks guys. If I want to glue a smaller rock to one of my bigger base rocks, can I put glue on the smaller one out of the water then stick it on in the water? I'm afraid my monti is gonna fall from the blasted hermits since they murdered the ceriths for their shells and are now ginormous.

Conversation between my girlfriend and I last night... we are supposed to be watching Lost (whole series now on Hulu) so that when we are together we can watch the same episodes. She's ahead of me.

"What are you doing?"

"nothing..."

"How many episodes have you watched?"

"One"

[pause] "Oh yeah, I forgot you sit in front of your tank for hours on end."

Tax refund! :bling: Using some for new equipment and the rest goes in savings.

I have an ebay one a lot like that and it works great. I'd highly recommend buying one. My brand new hydrometer was off by 0.02-0.03 within a month. Definitely go the refractometer route! :D

I got mine off of eBay too. It was a US seller. The one you are looking at is from Hong Kong. You might want to look for something closer. There's plenty on there. I tried to find the seller I bought from, but no luck so far.

Hey dude! I have that exact same macro growing on 2 of my rocks! I have had no luck identifying it!! I can tell you its not caulderpa or whatever(spelling) bc i just ordered a 1/4 pound for my fuge and it looks nothing like it. :(. (i was told that also) but i trim it with scissors with the pumps off and grab what I can out with a brine net. It seems to do a great job keeping my "nit's" down. But I have made 3 attempts in the 2 years Ive had it to fully erradicate it from the rocks and tank but it always comes back. Ive got every last root with tweezers before. A week later the rock was covered. It grows like a damn weed. If you find an id please please tell me. But it does do a good job cleaning our water. Tanks lookin good man! Nice new corals! Love the "petco" corals myself too. I found a store near my grandmas that must not have to many reef shoppers near it. I got a 2.5lb rock covered in 4 types of zoo's/zoa's for 25 dollars. And a bubble(traded it to a friend) the size of a softball for 6.99. (i convinced the guy that was the condy anemonie, he was so clueless) so you can get great deals at petco. Haha

Hey dude! I have that exact same macro growing on 2 of my rocks! I have had no luck identifying it!! I can tell you its not caulderpa or whatever(spelling) bc i just ordered a 1/4 pound for my fuge and it looks nothing like it. :(. (i was told that also) but i trim it with scissors with the pumps off and grab what I can out with a brine net. It seems to do a great job keeping my "nit's" down. But I have made 3 attempts in the 2 years Ive had it to fully erradicate it from the rocks and tank but it always comes back. Ive got every last root with tweezers before. A week later the rock was covered. It grows like a damn weed. If you find an id please please tell me. But it does do a good job cleaning our water. Tanks lookin good man! Nice new corals! Love the "petco" corals myself too. I found a store near my grandmas that must not have to many reef shoppers near it. I got a 2.5lb rock covered in 4 types of zoo's/zoa's for 25 dollars. And a bubble(traded it to a friend) the size of a softball for 6.99. (i convinced the guy that was the condy anemonie, he was so clueless) so you can get great deals at petco. Haha

Haha that's awesome. But not so awesome about the weed. Ugh. I feel your pain. Mine doesn't seem to grew that fast, but the tank is brand new. I mean it looks cool... but I just want to be able to control it so it doesn't control me like this:

algae.jpg

Found that on Google images while looking for an ID haha.

I remember one of those first few days after getting live rock... looking with a magnifying glass to find critters... saw a couple tiny shoots of that green stuff and was pleased. Why didn't I take it out them? :rant: Hindsight is always 20/20. It does look like a cousin to caulerpa.

Gena and Felicia: Looking for better refractometer seller :) Maybe that's why my gsp is pissed at me.

Hey, do you think this is it? Caulerpa brachypus?

https://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=e...ved=0CEAQ1QIoAg

Search for that species gave me this:

"This stuff is literally taking over Florida your tank may just be a small step in it's conquest of the east coast." :o

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/genera...-brachypus.html

I read in a scientific report that it is an invasive species in Florida and California and is now appearing in "reef smothering quantities."

This person had it too. Note to self: do not flush it down the drain.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192875

Look what I came home to!

2012-01-31_17-43-54_324.jpg

There's some gold stripped ones in the back.

2012-01-31_17-44-37_58.jpg

I think these grew overnight after my water change.

2012-01-31_17-44-19_560.jpg

Confidence boost B)

Placed my Marine Depot order for new and upgraded equipment :D

I think it is! I found the same link like ten minutes ago and was about to post it! It doesnt help theres 70 frikin types to look thru! Ugh is right! But if you keep it managed it looks ok. Gives the pods a place to hide too. I just keep it away from corals and mushrooms and trim it when it heAds that way. It seems to know where to grow. If i keep trimming one side(like near a coral) eventually it stops trying to grow that way and heads another direction. Just watch those roots. Itll shoot out a 6incher and you dont really notice it until those leaves show up overnight and then its a pain if it gets wrapped in something you dknt want it in. My rock did come from florida too. I got it here in maryland but it was marked aquacultured florida rock. It was just pretyer than the other 2 types. All good. I love the ugly stuff as much as I hate it.

Your corals look friggin awesome today! Maybe I should do a water change too!

I think it is! I found the same link like ten minutes ago and was about to post it! It doesnt help theres 70 frikin types to look thru! Ugh is right! But if you keep it managed it looks ok. Gives the pods a place to hide too. I just keep it away from corals and mushrooms and trim it when it heAds that way. It seems to know where to grow. If i keep trimming one side(like near a coral) eventually it stops trying to grow that way and heads another direction. Just watch those roots. Itll shoot out a 6incher and you dont really notice it until those leaves show up overnight and then its a pain if it gets wrapped in something you dknt want it in. My rock did come from florida too. I got it here in maryland but it was marked aquacultured florida rock. It was just pretyer than the other 2 types. All good. I love the ugly stuff as much as I hate it.

Your corals look friggin awesome today! Maybe I should do a water change too!

Good advice. I just noticed that... upon closer inspection it has started to creep around another rock. Ugh! Just trying to accept it and not fight it so hard (but control it). There must be pods hiding in it cause I noticed Bailey was hunting and catching pods but I rarely see any. I actually don't know where my rock came from, besides the LFS ha.

Thanks! It was a lovely sight when I walked in the door.

The elusive porcelain crab lives! This is the third time in a month I've sighted it. Accidentally tapped the glass with my flashlight and heard "splash." Time to make a fish wall between the display and chambers.

Yeah definatly want a wall so fish dont jump back there and get turned into chum by the pumps. I like that about my cube vs the old ones. The divider is much better, and i didnt have to scrape paint for the fuge. I have a porcelin crab in mine somewhere, but sometimes I dont see him for 2-3 months at a time. Sneaky little crab he is. And its funny, just like you said, as soon as my lights come on my clowns swim right to the rock with macro and get their pod breakfast. Its hilarious when you see them smashin their little faces into the glass, only to realize theyre after the little critters. I had some heat issues last night. Apparently when i rinsed my floss and closed the lid it hit the adjustment on my heater and cranked it! Thank goodness i checked it before leaving, and i turned it down and did a quick change with cooler water and brought it back into normal. Hopefully everyones ok when i get home.

Whew! I check my thermometer a lot. Maybe I'm paranoid. Hope they are okay.

Glad to know my porcelain isn't the only shy one. They were shy at the LFS! But I guess it had less hiding places and a more crowded tank. They're so cool looking though :mellow: sigh. I'm paranoid that it will die and I won't know it. But I guess I'll be able to tell by a spike in ammonia.

And sir, I do believe my clowns are funnier than your clowns. Mine definitely did a flip in the return flow last night :happy: And I think they were playing follow the leader through some narrow spaces in the rock. Bailey was checking out the hitch hiker crab (which is getting bigger and more brave to come out of the shadows). She was an inch from it just watching. The crab is gonna have to go soon... I'm scared it will eat someone.

Haha. I dunno. Mine are friggin goofs. The famale gets me all the time! She falls asleep and gets sucked up against the filter intake slots. She will sleep there until I turn the lights on, panic everytime, and she swims over to the glass like "hey jerk! Why did you wake me!"the male chases her, and she just has to look back at him and he instantly goes sideways(submits) and does his cupid shuffle(funny dance) They best entertainment is my bicolor dotty, it thinks its part of the clowns. Im not kidding here. It swims right up next to the clowns and tries to do the cupid shuffle! A dancing shaking bicolor? Crazyness. It also sleeps perched next to my green clown goby. YeAh, i have some weird acting livestock to say the least. But they have done it for a year, no problems w aggression so screw it. Oh, ps. All were well upon arrival home. Back at 78. I was worried all day at work. Corals all look great too.

he male chases her, and she just has to look back at him and he instantly goes sideways(submits) and does his cupid shuffle(funny dance)

haha good stories. I like the term cupid shuffle. I have been calling it a seizure.

The corals look very happy :happy: Did you find yourself a refractometer?

:) No I was actually busy at work the past couple of days so I haven't bought one yet.

Who in SoCal wants to go diving with me on February 25th? My girlfriend gave me approval, and in fact is encouraging me since she knows how badly I want to go.

Who in SoCal wants to go diving with me on February 25th? My girlfriend gave me approval, and in fact is encouraging me since she knows how badly I want to go.

I've actually got plans to dive on the 25th, but unfortunately not in SoCal. I'll be diving in Point Lobos State Reserve up in Carmel, CA that day. I'm excited you're getting to go diving! You'll love the kelp forests and the Garibaldi :)

I've actually got plans to dive on the 25th, but unfortunately not in SoCal. I'll be diving in Point Lobos State Reserve up in Carmel, CA that day. I'm excited you're getting to go diving! You'll love the kelp forests and the Garibaldi :)

Noooooooooooooooo come down to Catalina :tears:

Noooooooooooooooo come down to Catalina :tears:

Wish I could, but 5 hours both ways is a heck of a drive for a day trip. I think the next time I'll be down there diving is in March for the close of lobster season.

Nick....dotty doing the clown do me shuffle..haha my helfrich does the same ;)

Ethan as always your tank is looking awesome - the star polyps are so cool. I just got myself some grass too ;)

Archived