ReefCleaners.org

Ethan's 12g Vagabond Tank

ScubaEthan

Xenia and cloves are very similar but the xenia will pulse. Both are moody corals :lol:

See the directions on the marine snow and do about half what they suggest. Slowly build up. I've never used that product so not sure on how it performs. I do know that SPS will benefit from dosing things like that, in addition to good lighting.

A lot of people have luck with just doing weekly water changes with their sps tanks. Do you have test kits for Ca, mg, etc? You can see how much your corals utilize to determine if you will need to dose.

Well then I believe I have xenia and cloves! The pulsing ones weren't in the tank yet when I took that photo.

I used marine snow the first time I had this tank set up a couple years ago and it seemed to do well for the corals. You do need to feed corals planktonic food, right? Did I just make up a word?

I do not have any of those advanced test kits yet. But they are on my ever growing list of things to buy. :huh:

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Tank Man. I have a biocube14 with basically the same exact setup. I make my water the same day I change it, and let it sit for a week before using it. Meaning the stuff I pour in is a week old(new) and then I make another 2gallon bottle before putting everything away and let it sit under the sink until the following water change. I used to do twice a week but fohnd my mushrooms seem happyer with once a week, i guess it gives the system time to build up more nasties for the shrooms to eat. Im super jelly faced(jealous) of your rics! Makes mine look dull.

Nice Tank Man. I have a biocube14 with basically the same exact setup. I make my water the same day I change it, and let it sit for a week before using it. Meaning the stuff I pour in is a week old(new) and then I make another 2gallon bottle before putting everything away and let it sit under the sink until the following water change. I used to do twice a week but fohnd my mushrooms seem happyer with once a week, i guess it gives the system time to build up more nasties for the shrooms to eat. Im super jelly faced(jealous) of your rics! Makes mine look dull.

Thanks! Good plan on the water. That's what I want to do but didn't know if it could sit that long. That way I only have to deal with water changes once a week and have time to perfect the salinity and temperature.

Psh you think mine are good? Check out gena's.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...135&st=2100

Cool pinstripe palys, I have some too, the pictures don't do them justice do they?

Nice tank btw. :)

Nooooo not at all. Plus I only have my Droid to take photos with. They are really sweet.

Nice scape, and you already started off awesome...with a blasto...lol must...have blasto garden...

Ha thanks. A blasto garden would be kick ass. But it would take forever since they're slow growers. :angry:

slow growers and its so hard to find color variations...theres this one guy that has an AMAZING collection...I envy him...

slow growers and its so hard to find color variations...theres this one guy that has an AMAZING collection...I envy him...

oo oo link!

surgicalsense
Oldie but goodie. I think the pinstriped palys are my favs so far. The are metallic green in person.

Those are pretty .. you really scored here :)

:o

me too.

And that awesome first one came from Petco?!

Those are pretty .. you really scored here :)

I've always loved the look of blastos more than acans. I checked out that link you put up, Joel. His blastos are incredible!

I have one blasto in my tank. I've had it forever and it's still just one head. Such a slow grower for me.

If I could find a supplier, I got $500 set aside to spend on blasto's....in random colors....but no one person has multi colors for sale

If I could find a supplier, I got $500 set aside to spend on blasto's....in random colors....but no one person has multi colors for sale

If you can find the bright pink center with green outside (I think that was the combo), let me know :)

I don't even have that much set aside for my whole tank :rolleyes: Maybe I should change the title to "Ethan's cheapo 12g build" lol

So I'm thinking about dremeling out a rectangle on my hood to slide the LED strip into so it can release heat from the top.

Woot page 3 B)

You will eventually, you'll find your niche and be hooked on something haha..thats what this hobby does to you...gets you hooked

I don't even have that much set aside for my whole tank :rolleyes: Maybe I should change the title to "Ethan's cheapo 12g build" lol

Haha, Brad (Deckoz) makes everyone feel cheap. :P He's got himself some nice stuff!

You will eventually, you'll find your niche and be hooked on something haha..thats what this hobby does to you...gets you hooked

+1^

Everything is looking great. Those are some nice corals you've got so far :)

Everything is looking great. Those are some nice corals you've got so far :)

Thank you!

Lol I give people free stuff to make up for it though ;) haha

Good for you. Pay it forward B)

Hokay. So. I got home to find the peppermint shrimp eating a nassarius, the GSP and cloves are all closed up, and my orange ricordea is MISSING :scarry:

Found the ricordea under some new coral that got moved. And the shrimp was stomping on everything so I decided it was time to move corals from the sandbed.

I officially suck at sticking corals to rock.

By the way, the shrimp gets on my finger now. Feels weird.

Going to test water to see why the gsp and cloves are all closed up. Water change scheduled for tonight.

Photos to come!

Photos!!!

The monti

2012-01-30_19-12-24_64.jpg

Pom pom xenia

2012-01-30_19-10-09_433.jpg

Cloves? Looks so unhappy :(

2012-01-30_19-09-46_958.jpg

Some of the blue cloves and my favorite nerite snail.

2012-01-30_19-20-28_828.jpg

It's so pretty! :wub: just not a pretty picture :mellow:

2012-01-30_19-09-07_426.jpg

Dun dun dun full tank shot. I moved the branchy piece of rock to the sand front right and put the gsp on it, its still closed. You can see the hole it was covering on the left. I'm hoping this will allow me to see the porcelain crab I got and never see.

2012-01-30_19-08-41_247.jpg

So while I was drying off a bit of the GSP to superglue it, a small paly fell off and bounced onto the floor. I got down on the carpet with a flashlight and can't find it anywhere! All I found was how badly I need to vacuum. Never thought I'd lose a coral to carpet surfing. I hope it doesn't smell. :huh:

That monti is in the perfect spot, I think :) What is that macro you have growing? And I love the blastos!!!!! I would like to have some just like that!!!!!

Archived