Top Shelf Aquatics

Xenon's Fluval Edge 6G build thread with pics

xenon

Hmm, I've considered taking the HOB filter out of my Edge 12g. Do you think there's enough flow with your powerhead for good oxygen exchange in the water? I have a Koralia 425. Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm a newbie still!

I really wish there was a way to test for oxygen levels. I have 33X turnover with the Vortech at the lowest setting (200gph) so I am pretty confident that I am getting enough flow for oxygen exchange but its hard to compare to the AC20 because it breaks the water surface.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way you are using the studio light is awesome! :D I can see you got your backdrop ready at the side as well :)

I believe the 33x turnover will get enough oxygen for sure. I did just use my Evo 240 powerhead for a few days and all are fine.

I think you might want to leave the ac20 in for gas exchange. Due to the narrow opening of fluval edge there is very little space of gas exchange so you keeping ac20 is really beneficial for that even if you don't need for filteration. Based on my experience with this tank i have seen large pH swings when the ac20 is not running and thats not good for fish as well as coral.

i kinda see what you are saying about gas exchange.

im confused about a few things though.

the way i ran my ac20 is i had the water level up almost all the way to get rid of the waterfall splashing sound and water splashing. it created a small wave in the fluval.

now since i have removed the ac20 i use my powerhead to make a wave in the square opening.

so what i am confused about is what makes the difference if its the ac20 making a small wave and the powerhead making a small wave?

both just agitate the surface of the water, just one is quieter and doesnt cause as much salt creep as the other.

i do plan on holding onto my ac20 and will run carbon and filter floss in it for a day after a wc, just to get the floaties and polish the water a little bit but dont plan on running it 24/7

sorry for the thread hijack xenon, just curious is all :)

Once my cycle is over, I will test PH to see if my gas exchange is decent with just the Vortech.

I got my AI Nano LED light today from Premium Aquatics. Now I need to figure out how to mount it under the stock good without it falling into the tank. :)

23.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

New project. Can you guess what its going to be?

26.JPG

I am building a house for a bluespot jawfish. I will be adding more sand to hide the plumbing.

27.JPG

I love everything about this build so far and that's a cool little idea; what size pvc is that?

Thanks. :)

That's 3/4" PVC but I didn't use any PVC piping to connect the fittings together. I wanted the fish to have more space inside the fittings. I just used PVC cement and it came out really strong. I also drilled holes in each fitting and covered the entrance in crazy glue and dipped it into fresh sand.

so what i am confused about is what makes the difference if its the ac20 making a small wave and the powerhead making a small wave?

sorry for the thread hijack xenon, just curious is all :)

With the ac20, the water has to pour down into the tank. This means at one point there is a relativly thin layer of water traveling through the air. This thin layer has a very large surface area to volume ration, meaning there is a greater area for diffusion creating a more efficient oxygen exchange. Other than this, however, nothing much is different.

Love the tank! :) Your making me want to get one! Can't wait to see what's next

Ah I see what you are saying.. but I keep my water level high to keep bubbles out. So the water glides down the front of the filter and right into the water, not really a waterfall or in the air per say....

I don't like the idea of the filter bc of the splashing/salt creep. That's why I took my filter off.

Oh and this thread is making me want a jaw fish, I have always wanted one but I am afraid of deep sand beds....

Can you show pics of how you have the jawfish burrow setup? And how deep is your sand bed?

Oh and this thread is making me want a jaw fish, I have always wanted one but I am afraid of deep sand beds....

Can you show pics of how you have the jawfish burrow setup? And how deep is your sand bed?

The sandbed is now 1.5-2" deep. I am trying to make it uneven for a more natural look. The jawfish house is now buried so there is not much to look at other than a hole. lol

It's still cloudy in my tank from adding an extra 4lbs of sand so I wont be able to post any pics until it clears up.

The sandbed is now 1.5-2" deep. I am trying to make it uneven for a more natural look. The jawfish house is now buried so there is not much to look at other than a hole. lol

It's still cloudy in my tank from adding an extra 4lbs of sand so I wont be able to post any pics until it clears up.

That's cool! I have 1-1.5" of sand in mine currently, and the powerhead is making it uneven..lol

I may get a teeny yellow head.

my friend has a yellowhead in his nano with only 3/4" sand max and the jawfish has made his home under a rock and closes his "shell door" at nite.

my friend has a yellowhead in his nano with only 3/4" sand max and the jawfish has made his home under a rock and closes his "shell door" at nite.

Good idea. I will need to get a sea shell so that he can close up his hole at night.

Yeah, I'm going to give him plenty of sea shells and rubble to play with maybe even a couple small smooth stones...plenty of toys... :happy:

Found this inspiring. I'm getting an MP10 for my 12g Edge.

Found a way to mount the new lamp yet?

Not yet. The light is being used for my QT bucket at the moment. Good thing there is no light required to cycle a tank.

I removed the stock light today so I can start the planning. I also moved my Vortech controller to the side of the rear tunnel to make room for the AI LED controller.

Once my cycle is over, I will test PH to see if my gas exchange is decent with just the Vortech.

I got my AI Nano LED light today from Premium Aquatics. Now I need to figure out how to mount it under the stock good without it falling into the tank. :)

23.JPG

I'm eagerly tracking this thread to see how this Nano is going to look in the tank! :bowdown: Everything you have shown has been awesome! Great build.

I'm eagerly tracking this thread to see how this Nano is going to look in the tank! :bowdown: Everything you have shown has been awesome! Great build.

Thanks!

I will post up more pics soon.

I tweaked my aquascaping a little so the water is not crystal clear just yet.

I decided to figure out how to mount the light fixture this evening. I ended up getting it solved pretty quickly. I drilled 2 holes in the top of the hood and used a plastic spacer to angle the light towards the front of the tank. I did that because I was getting too much light concentrated in the back.

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

I am now thinking I need some type of light reflector under the fixture to spread the light towards the sides. I will get that figured out before the fish/corals go in.

I decided to figure out how to mount the light fixture this evening. I ended up getting it solved pretty quickly. I drilled 2 holes in the top of the hood and used a plastic spacer to angle the light towards the front of the tank. I did that because I was getting too much light concentrated in the back.

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

I am now thinking I need some type of light reflector under the fixture to spread the light towards the sides. I will get that figured out before the fish/corals go in.

That's a great idea! Did the screws come with the fixture? Are you worried about them coming off? How's it sound, any vibration?

That's a great idea! Did the screws come with the fixture? Are you worried about them coming off? How's it sound, any vibration?

Yes, the screws were included with the light. The spacer is mine though.

Absolutely no vibration with the LED lights at 100% and the fan running full out (very quiet).

Is that really a 300$ light?

I got an old 6 gallon Edge I want to convert into a small SW tank with coral. For 300 bucks I could get a real SW tank.

Tank plus light nearly 500$. Cost of a 29 gallon Nano Cube.

Archived