Pod Your Reef

Tiny aiptasia on my tank glass (I think)

JamieSheffield

JamieSheffield

I just got back from a week out of town, and was happy to find my tank in great shape...no losses, water quality good, no algal blooms, all equipment working...

What I did notice however was a bunch of tiny clear flower-like things on the glass of my tank...more over by the light leakage next to my HOB refugium than anywhere else (photosynthetic or phototropic?)...

I think that they look like aiptasia, and I was wondering if I need to wait until they are bigger before treating them...most of the reading I've done would seem to be used in treating big ones...

Thanks,

Jamie

Picture would help identify them, aptasia on glass sounds kinda strange. Usually you'll see them

On your LR, I could be an have been know too be wrong lol

JamieSheffield

I wish that I could upload a pic...my laptop is at work, and my iPad, which I'm using now doesn't work well for macro pics, and these things are tiny...the thing that gives me some hope is that they seem to be photosynthetic/phototropic, gathering by the fuge light at the back of my tank...

I'll post some pics tomorrow...

Jamie

If they are tiny an there are lots of them most likely IMO they most likely aren't aptasia. However if you had one drop eggs they surely could be, but I'm kinda thinking prob not.. There was a post similar I think Saturday, can't recal what they ended up being though. I'll see if I can find the post to direct you too.

Captain Hook

I get tiny white things on the glass (kinda look symetrical and feathery) if I dont clean it with the magfloat every few days, Im not sure what they are but they have never gotten bigger and not aptaisia. Its got to be some kind of filter feeder and if its on your glass now, its probably on your rock too and you just cant see it.

Fearlessmoto

IMHO i would say most likely they are aiptisia but without a photo identification is just about impossible

if you don't want to take a chance go get yourself a couple peppermint shrimp, or if your tank is big enough a copperband butterfly, , there are other aptisia eaters out there, but those two are supposed to be most effective.

if they are photosynthetic or have a slight green tint around the top they might be mojano anemones, which are just as bad and you may want to remove them as quickly as possible, the good thing about majanos is they are tough, not stringy like aptasia, so they can be carefully pulled off with a scraper and collected in a net as they appear, either way good luck, im subscribing to this topic in case you post apic.

JamieSheffield

I took a bunch of pics with my digital camera, and can post pics tomorrow from work...they scrape off easily...I have never seen/had an aiptasia in my tank, so don't know how I could have gotten this many eggs in my tank, but who knows...I was planning on ordering some shrimp anyway, so will get some pepps...

Should I postpone ordering other stuff that I was getting ready to order? I was going to get a couple of zoa and ricordia frags...

Jamie

maybe hydroids? do they look like this

Hydroids.jpg

That's exactly what they look like...time for more research...

Thanks,

Jamie

Archived