Top Shelf Aquatics

Coral frenzy or Reef roids?

MatthewStarr

I was wondering which product you all think is best for the reef. I have a 6 gallon tank with mainly zoanthids and mushrooms. A few other LPS corals. I want to purchase a product that feeds these guys besides my lighting. So I was curious which you have all used and which you think is best. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I use reef roids, but mainly for sps cause it's a really fine powder. I have a bunch of zoas and rics and I think they eat it?? I also use reef cleaners filter feeder formula as well and I really like it, well my corals really like it.

Mushrooms and zoanthids shouldn't really need supplemental feeding. You could chop up some mysis shrimp and target feed your LPS.

I'm not sure, but I believe that Reef-Roids might have a particle size that's specifically better suited for zoanthids and mushrooms, while Coral Frenzy might suit a wider range of corals.

• Coral Frenzy particle size: 53-1700 microns
  • Reef-Roids particle size: 150-200 microns

Make sure that you don't overfeed. Closely monitor nitrate and phosphate levels (using a good low range phosphate test kit) if you are broadcast feeding.

Cant you just target feed then follow with a big wc?

You can do that if you want. How often are you planning on feeding? That could end up being a large volume of water you are going thru over time.

I just use Coral Frenzy. Its like a one stop shop. LPS/SPS/Even the fish will eat the left over larger pelets!

I personally leave the skimmer and filter off (just run powerhead) for 3-4 hours to let all of the food become absorbed.

You can do that if you want. How often are you planning on feeding? That could end up being a large volume of water you are going thru over time.

I feed my dandros, blastos, duncans,lobo, chalices&sunpolyps once a week frozen mysis then I do a one gallon wc that same evening . My spec is 2 gallons ,I just let the zoas and palys eat what ever is in the water colum from that large feeding
SerenityReef

+1 to seabass

At least in my tank I find I have to be very careful with Coral Frenzy or my levels get off...been looking at Reef Roids but no experience.

Not trying to thread high jack ...but anyone have experience with fauna marin lps pellets

I had a small sample Coral Frenzy and my corals liked them but I recently got my hands on Fauna Marin LPS and Golden Pearls...

I use Fauna Marin LPS pellets and feed them to my Acans/Ricodea Floridas. Then I use the same pellets and try to grind them up into smaller powder and combine it with Golden Pearls for my SPS/Ricodea Yumas. I target feed all my corals.

If anything, I noticed Coral Frenzy and Golden Pearls makes my SPS/Brittle Stars go crazy for them. Acans, they seem to like meaty chunks, like mysis shrimp or the Fauna Marin pellets

I use cheap Formula one pellets and Acans/LPS all eat them up.

I have both reef chili and coral frenzy but they do a nice job dirtying up the tank a good amount so I'll do that maybe once every two weeks.

TheDudeAbides

It seems that the leading benefit of reef roids is it does not dirty up the tank or potentially throw off levels, where as it's more of a concern than coral frenzy? Would that be accurate?

I'm looking to spot feed once a week for my 16g nano, then do my weekly water change the next day. Based on the feedback and other reading I've done online, it seems like reef roids might be worth the premium vs coral frenzy.

It seems that the leading benefit of reef roids is it does not dirty up the tank or potentially throw off levels, where as it's more of a concern than coral frenzy? Would that be accurate?.

I'm not aware that Coral Frenzy is better or worse than Reef-Roids. I think most food will add phosphate and nitrate. Although some fish food is preserved with poly-phosphates (which adds even more phosphate).

It's not just what doesn't get eaten that will contribute to both nitrate and phosphate; what gets eaten will also contribute to both.

I think tanks should be disqualified from TOTM if they test positive for doping.

Well yeah. And maybe even strip some past winners of their recognition too. ;) I see Congressional hearings in the future.

Archived