Pod Your Reef

My Mr. Aqua 12g Long!

kristonenicolas

kristonenicolas

2/23/12

DSC_0303.jpg

I think it's about time I post my newest tank on here.

I bought the tank from Aquatic Warehouse for $75 with tax. Rocks/Sand/Water added first week of November. And just finished my cycle this week. Not sure what else to say about tank right now. Basically what you see is what's there.

I'm planning on my live stock to include crab based CUC, Skunk shrimp, and a Fire shrimp. But I'm having a REAL HARD TIME figuring out what fish to get. I want something with the personality of a Flame Angel. I wish i could put one in, but I'm afraid my tank is just too small for one. As for coral, I plan to only house softies for now and maybe try a few SPS in the future. No chemical filtration. Just LR, LS, Macro, and pods. Will add a skimmer if I need to, but I plan on 25% water changes weekly. Still need to add an ATO so if anyone has one for sale please shoot me a PM.

Please feel free to add comments and feedback!

Equipment:

Mr. Aqua 12g Long

(2) 7 LED PAR38 Bulb from RapidLED.com

MP10

DIY 10g Fuge

SWC 120 Cone Skimmer

Eshopps PF-Nano Overflow

Eheim Compact 1000 Return

DIY Stockman Standpipe

Pictures:

b82b87d5.jpg

a17c0518.jpg

Ikea bookcase

30f7a835.jpg

Ikea light stands

a20239f6.jpg

Par38

019c99ec.jpg

Waiting for sump equipment

dab277c5.jpg

Running!

25db5a9b.jpg

Overflow was just too loud for a bedroom tank

f0b27a22.jpg

added more rock to DT and fuge

3f0361e0.jpg

Tank as it sits now.

Love the rock scape and tank design overall. The lamps are awesome, I really want to use them on one of my tanks. This setup is also going to be very flexible for fish and coral options. Great job.

• 1 month later...

Nice tank Kristen! It's gonna take me awhile to get my tank running. I'm gathering all my equip slowly and waiting for the moment my wife is in a good mood to st it up!

:P

kristonenicolas

219226a8.jpg

update:

added SPS, changed out koralia nanos for mp10, and re-did bulb fixture! what do you guys think?

aa92eafe.jpg

628aeb79.jpg

c0b8e397.jpg

(crappy iphone pics)

kristonenicolas
What did you use for the baffles when you built your sump? Glass or Acrylic? I might go ahead and build one myself.

i wouldn't mix acrylic baffles into a glass tank. i actually used the glass from a 8"x10" frame.

i wouldn't mix acrylic baffles into a glass tank. i actually used the glass from a 8"x10" frame.

Well that was quite ingenious. Where did you get the stand?

• 4 weeks later...
kristonenicolas

Got a new camera! Nikon D5100. It's my first DSLR so I think I need some pointers. Either that or a new lens. Please leave some feedback!

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0319-1.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

Archived