Top Shelf Aquatics

Josh's Dymax IQ3 Pico Reef

BGJ223

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Wow,

I stumbled on your thread today! I was like wow, love the aqua-scape. Your tank is going to blossom in all the right areas and when it does, it's going to follow the curve shape you have given it!

Just priceless with how you guys come up with ideas.. :o

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Evo Pico is a great pump, but it makes too much vibration noise in that small area. I ended up finding an aquatop pump that fit perfectly in the first chamber (The big one) and I used the stock pump in the small chamber.

@Mike - That totally hurts my feelings dude. I purchased the backbone of this tank from you and even gave you credit in the first post. lol j/k Glad you found the thread. I think I will be needing to contact you soon, this tank is going to need the micro-chiller.

I recently purchased a Dymax IQ3 and I plan to use it as a Zoanthid garden. I was thinking about adding a YWG at some point as well. I have currently modified the back chamber into a refugium and I am now ready to purchase the heater/powerhead. I was wondering if the Hydor Pico 180 would be overkill for such a tank. Zoanthids don't like too much water movement and I'd rather not stress out the YWG if/when I add him. Although I do want to make sure that I have enough movement to rid any dead spots in the tank so that waste doesn't accumulate in one spot.

I plan on purchasing a 25W Hydor Theo and placing it inside the main chamber (refugium) and either keeping the stock pump or replacing with more power. What are your thoughts since you are running the stock and the Hydor Pico Evo?

Fail on my part for not reading the last post as I haven't check on this thread in awhile. I want to run one pump in the small chamber but I'm not sure what would work best.

I recently purchased a Dymax IQ3 and I plan to use it as a Zoanthid garden. I was thinking about adding a YWG at some point as well. I have currently modified the back chamber into a refugium and I am now ready to purchase the heater/powerhead. I was wondering if the Hydor Pico 180 would be overkill for such a tank. Zoanthids don't like too much water movement and I'd rather not stress out the YWG if/when I add him. Although I do want to make sure that I have enough movement to rid any dead spots in the tank so that waste doesn't accumulate in one spot.

I plan on purchasing a 25W Hydor Theo and placing it inside the main chamber (refugium) and either keeping the stock pump or replacing with more power. What are your thoughts since you are running the stock and the Hydor Pico Evo?

Fail on my part for not reading the last post as I haven't check on this thread in awhile. I want to run one pump in the small chamber but I'm not sure what would work best.

I recommend the use of 2 pumps. The stock plus 1. This will provide with cross current and some random flow.

The Evo pico is an awesome pump, but not good for this tank if you want to keep it in the rear compartment. Many people like the minijet 404, which with some modification can fit in the rear chamber.

If you want to keep a watchman in the tank (which I don't suggest due to it's size) then you will want to make sure and get a lid for the aquarium also. Since it is such a confined space it will be more prone to jumping. Also the lid with drastically improve evaporation rates.

I recommend the use of 2 pumps. The stock plus 1. This will provide with cross current and some random flow.

The Evo pico is an awesome pump, but not good for this tank if you want to keep it in the rear compartment. Many people like the minijet 404, which with some modification can fit in the rear chamber.

If you want to keep a watchman in the tank (which I don't suggest due to it's size) then you will want to make sure and get a lid for the aquarium also. Since it is such a confined space it will be more prone to jumping. Also the lid with drastically improve evaporation rates.

I apologize. I mean the Yellow Clown Goby, I always get them mixed up. I ordered the lid that Dymax makes so that is already covered. I think I will go ahead and get the Minijet 404 and make the hole larger in the main chamber wall to hit a tube. Do you happen to know the best size tube to use?

I apologize. I mean the Yellow Clown Goby, I always get them mixed up. I ordered the lid that Dymax makes so that is already covered. I think I will go ahead and get the Minijet 404 and make the hole larger in the main chamber wall to hit a tube. Do you happen to know the best size tube to use?

Sorry I have no clue what size tube to use. I do have a tip for you on making the hole bigger. I used a 90 degree drill attachment and then put a bit a triangle sanding bit from a dremmel tool on the end of it. The fit was perfect inside the tank.

• 1 month later...

I fiannly took the time to add my Grandi Pally back into the tank. I also tossed a piece of Monti that came off the rock in my main tank.

IMG_20120106_174846.jpg

Also you can see in the upper left I crudely modified overflow so that it was less restrictive. I also put a new pump in to replace the one that just stopped working. We now have more flow. Things are doing pretty good. I am still getting diatoms on the glass which is super annoying, but hopefully that will pass soon. I also have a few apstasia in there that I will need to deal with soon. I think a peppermint shrimp should be able to polish them off in a few days. Then I will place it in my main.

I couple weeks ago I removed everything from the tank, then pulled the rock out and gave it a nice soak in saltwater and peroxide. It bubbled feverishly for a while, then I scrubbed the rock with a brush. I had some hair algae on there and the diatoms on the glass were really bad. Since then, no GHA just diatoms on the glass.

Took some macro shots of the tank

And Here are the pics

Here is Peppy

DSC_0616.JPG

DSC_0619.JPG

DSC_0622.JPG

DSC_0624.JPG

DSC_0634.JPG

DSC_0635.JPG

DSC_0639.JPG

DSC_0649.JPG

Can You find the Hermit?

DSC_0649.JPG

You have no idea how hard it is to take a decent pic of Xenia

DSC_0655.JPG

DSC_0657.JPG

DSC_0659.JPG

DSC_0667.JPG

Almost everything is in focus for this one.

DSC_0668.JPG

I almost forgot, I was able to get a couple shots of my pistol shrimp

DSC_0671.JPG

DSC_0669.JPG

I was at the LFS yesterday and found a single Yesllow star, Kenya tree tiny frag, and a zoa polyps. I glued them down last night and them started coming out right away. I will snap some pics very soon and post.

Also the pistol shrimp is constantly redecorating my tank. He moved my Pallys to the back of the tank. Took my mushroom to some undisclosed location. And managed to remove a zoa frag I had glued down. I am at war with this little bugger.

• 5 weeks later...

Here are some Cell phone pics of some frags I recently purchased. Hope you like.

First frag is an Acan. It is orange and teal.

IMG_20120210_155604.jpg

These 3 Red guys in the back.

IMG_20120210_155550.jpg

The single polyp up front and the 2 polyps on the rock in the back.

IMG_20120210_155540.jpg

The problem with having such a small tank, the frags need to be small too. On the flip side, seeing a bunch of small frags grow out together is pretty cool

As you can see we are in the process of going barebottom. About 90 percent of the sand has been removed.

Here is a FTS from 1/14

IMG_20120214_162338.jpg

I will bring out the DSLR today and hopefully get some better pics.

Nice acan!

Those 'red guys' are People Eaters, I just got some myself.

Loving the Grandi, I might have to hunt one of those down ...

Any particular reason for going BB?

Nice acan!

Those 'red guys' are People Eaters, I just got some myself.

Loving the Grandi, I might have to hunt one of those down ...

Any particular reason for going BB?

Woo Hoo!!! I have a comment, sorry I have been pretty lonely on this thread. lol

The Grandi is cool, I am hunting for a green one now.

I went BB in order to help with nutrient export. It was pretty easy to see the poop get trapped in the sand and I did not like that. Now I just take some large diameter tubing and siphon from the bottom for water changes.

Woo Hoo!!! I have a comment, sorry I have been pretty lonely on this thread. lol

The Grandi is cool, I am hunting for a green one now.

I went BB in order to help with nutrient export. It was pretty easy to see the poop get trapped in the sand and I did not like that. Now I just take some large diameter tubing and siphon from the bottom for water changes.

Heh yeah it can get frustrating when you don't get comments .. but good on you for persisting with updates. I find these threads as much for our benefit as anyone else's anyway =0)

Heh yeah it can get frustrating when you don't get comments .. but good on you for persisting with updates. I find these threads as much for our benefit as anyone else's anyway =0)

I know I like seeing progress in people's tanks, which is why I try and show it in mine.

I figured now would be a good time to toss up a couple pictures.

Full Tank Shot

IMG_20120228_160345.jpg

Shot of my zoa garden. A couple small additions were added to it.

IMG_20120228_160251.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone pics.

zoa garden will look amazing over time. also the top of the tank will look nice when those SPS grow out. i think this dymax has the potential to be come one of the best. imo you dont even have to add anything to the top or bottom and make it look cluttered. it will fill in over time.

zoa garden will look amazing over time. also the top of the tank will look nice when those SPS grow out. i think this dymax has the potential to be come one of the best. imo you dont even have to add anything to the top or bottom and make it look cluttered. it will fill in over time.

Thank you for the kind words.

I doubt anything else will be added to the tank. With the exception of a single polyp here or there if I find any.

But..... If I can get a pink or red SPS coral at a decent price, I will frag it and place a piece in here.

something red towards the top? i think that would look good too.

Yeah Red on the top is what I am looking for. The monti is an orangish red, but I want Red!

Archived