inTank Media Baskets

Zoanthids open for only 2 hours or so

Neto

Some of my zoanthids are opening for only 1-2 hours and then they close up for the rest of the day. They are looking good, some of them are looking like they are bent backwords like a plate upside down and other are kind of shinny (bad looking)... One of my sps (green slimer) lost all of the green color, only the polyps are green.

Whats wrong? Are they just consuming the energy they need and then closing up? Are they melting?

I have 18 leds (9 royal blues & 9 cool whites) and most of the time, the blues are full power and whites are like 35-40% of power.

help!

I had some keds reds that wouldn't open and they were under a 150w halide, moved them into the shade and they opened up. I'd say with your LEDs your burning the #### outta your coral. Is your slimer brown or whitish (bleached)?

I had some keds reds that wouldn't open and they were under a 150w halide, moved them into the shade and they opened up. I'd say with your LEDs your burning the #### outta your coral. Is your slimer brown or whitish (bleached)?

part of it is brown, other is white =(

I would say not enough light maybe or light shock.

Zoanthids are very hard to keep long term and often one would have to dose vitamin C to have any long term success and prevent them from melting. I have read that the zooxanthellae inside can oxydize and that poison some how the polyp and that vitamin C would prevent that oxydation. Not sure if that's true but vitamine C dosing work well for me and I have yet to see a colony melt since I have been dosing 2 weeks ago. I was having a meltdown about every 2 days.

Be sure that your parameters are very stable. Dose if necessary to keep that stable.

What salt are you using? I nearly lost all my zoanthids when switching to H2O and now I am using IO Reef Crystal and that work very well. Polyps are huge! I started using Reef Crystal after visiting a zoa collector that had huge polyps on his zoanthids and he was using that salt, was very happy with it. I am not saying it's your salt but it is a possibility. So many things can go wrong with zoanthids, especially the smaller blue varieties. Light can shock them, amphipods can eat them...a lot of things irritate them like algae, spaghetti worms etc... water parameters must be very stable and it is best to feed them. Chromaplex is the best food for them.

Some of my zoanthids are opening for only 1-2 hours and then they close up for the rest of the day. They are looking good, some of them are looking like they are bent backwords like a plate upside down and other are kind of shinny (bad looking)... One of my sps (green slimer) lost all of the green color, only the polyps are green.

Whats wrong? Are they just consuming the energy they need and then closing up? Are they melting?

I have 18 leds (9 royal blues & 9 cool whites) and most of the time, the blues are full power and whites are like 35-40% of power.

help!

turn your leds waaaay down for a while, whites and blues at 20%.. wait a few weeks till your coral recovers and then ramp back up. Having your blues at 100% is the problem so don't go that high again, the royal blue LEDs put out more par than the CW's..

To test for light shock just move them into the shade.. I suggested dimming your LEDs so you don't have to move all your coral..

Well originally I used these lights with no problems on my 10 gallons, however, this tank has a height of 20".. Now I am using them in my 10" shallow tank so that might be the problem...

I will turn the lights down and monitor it...

I would say not enough light maybe or light shock.

Zoanthids are very hard to keep long term and often one would have to dose vitamin C to have any long term success and prevent them from melting. I have read that the zooxanthellae inside can oxydize and that poison some how the polyp and that vitamin C would prevent that oxydation. Not sure if that's true but vitamine C dosing work well for me and I have yet to see a colony melt since I have been dosing 2 weeks ago. I was having a meltdown about every 2 days.

Be sure that your parameters are very stable. Dose if necessary to keep that stable.

What salt are you using? I nearly lost all my zoanthids when switching to H2O and now I am using IO Reef Crystal and that work very well. Polyps are huge! I started using Reef Crystal after visiting a zoa collector that had huge polyps on his zoanthids and he was using that salt, was very happy with it. I am not saying it's your salt but it is a possibility. So many things can go wrong with zoanthids, especially the smaller blue varieties. Light can shock them, amphipods can eat them...a lot of things irritate them like algae, spaghetti worms etc... water parameters must be very stable and it is best to feed them. Chromaplex is the best food for them.

Parameters are stable I check often. I will also do dose vitamin C from now and then.

I am using Oceanic salt, but was using reef crystals. I changed the salt because I thought my problem was the salt itself.

I also just added a skimmer and its just being a workhorse. I pull almost full cups of dark green skimmate every 3 days or so. I have the Eshopps psk-75

Archived