inTank Media Baskets

Medym's 4.5gal DIY'd

medym

Well clean up is mostly done. Wow, I made a bit of a mess putting this all together!

I am starting to notice algae growing in fine form on the rocks at the top of the tank. The cycle seems to be complete, my numbers are all stable. The temp is bothering me as the tank always seems to be at 79.9-80.3 degrees. I might try to rig up a fan in there to keep it a little lower. If I close the door to the office and have my computer running, I am worried the temp could climb even a couple degrees more.

To battle my algae, CUC recommendations would be swell. I have a surplus of hermits in my 56 gallon, but given the small size of this tank and what would be a limited selection of shells, I am not sure if they are the best option for me.

I also want to visit my LFS and look at getting some zoas. I am thinking of placing them to the left as pictured:

kS3pd.jpg

That will leave the right side open, where it does get some high flow from the powerhead and the AC70. I was thinking GSP or frogspawn, but I am concerned how that will work if I opt to add a goby (which I want to do).

Also note a small green thing growing on front of the right hand rock. I didnt notice it, at first, but it seems to be growth from some old epoxy that was on the rock I opted not to remove. I am not sure what it is, but it seems to be turning away from the light, so I think it might not light the high lights it is getting there. When my moonlights go on, it is neon green.

Suggestions or feedback are, as always, hugely appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been busy! After a few visits to the good ole LFS I have gotten myself quite a bit!

Clean up crew and been in for a while,(couple hermits and snails) and they did a great job polishing off the live rock making it look great!

I have also picked myself up some corals which have done very well.

Pictures are big and I do not feel like resizing them:

Candy Cane and what I believe is a little macro algae below it

iLpkM.jpg

GSP and zoas in the background

Y5Eri.jpg

FTS:

BT4Oj.jpg

If ones eye were to wander to my bottom right rock, they may notice a green little thing there- no idea what it is.

Side note to self, adjust timers to daylight savings time already!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The three corals are doing great so far. Openning nice and wide and the GSP is already showing signs of it spreading/growing!

I have really been needing to stay ontop of my top offs, but thus far its been great and I am starting to see some great coralline algae growth along the rocks and glass already. I am taking the family for a week to Disney world so I have been panicing to find a way to keep this pupping running problem free. My solution: Reefkeeper Lite (gotta love Black Fridays!). I have it running the lights right now, temp probe and I am going to be finishing an ATO this week for it.

I need to find a solution to manage my cables though! So many cables are running everywhere and it is getting out of hand.

Plan for my return is to sort out my cords, find a good clean way of mounting my RKL, make a more permanent ATO source (currently 5 gal on floor) and finally redo the case holding my light. Busy busy!

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I have posted an update!

Here's some new pictures!

Goby and Shrimp dynamic duo!

dkNeI.jpg

Interesting growth at back of a rock. (no idea what it is)

1ZNxW.jpg

I have three bits of macro algae in my tank it seems though! Chaeto in my HOB, but more interestingly is the hitchhickers to the rocks. I have a little bit of Halimeda and Sargassum. Hasn't gotten very large nor is it that noticable, so I figured I would keep em in there

Full tank shot

E0TZV.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Small updated FTS:

xiO81.jpg

Sorry for the quality. The Candy Cane is doing nicely and looks like a new heads are sneakin in. GSP is, with no surprise, thriving in its spot and I often find the odd hermit having a nap in the middle of it.

Sadly though, the rock with the Candy Cane has been growing Dictyota all over it. I do my best to clean it up, but it keeps coming back. I was thinking about adding an Emerald Crab, but I am concerned he will get into a fight with the Pistol Shrimp. Does anyone have any experience in this?

• 4 weeks later...

Xlwp7.jpg

Few new additions to the tank. Almost have the Dictyota under control via regular pruning/plucking of the effected area. Doing a lot better now!

Not sure what corals I might add next, or where, gotta figure that out. I wouldnt mind adding a couple more to this tank.

nofriendsbz3
Xlwp7.jpg

Few new additions to the tank. Almost have the Dictyota under control via regular pruning/plucking of the effected area. Doing a lot better now!

Not sure what corals I might add next, or where, gotta figure that out. I wouldnt mind adding a couple more to this tank.

Seeing tanks like this make me want to get back into the hobby. Havent had a tank up in 3 years, but have been getting the itch to get back into it. Im thinking a Pico tank might work. Just have to get the blessing from the wife as I am also a Home Brewer (I make beer). Be careful with the GSP's they grow fast and take over areas.

Archived