Pod Your Reef

Help diagnosing Clownfish with discoloration

mcalvi3

Hello everyone long time lurker and I finally decided to post because I need some help. I started an rsm130d and everything is going fine except that I am worried about one of my clowns. I purchased two perculas that were not paired. Initally they were getting along until two weeks ago I added a frogspawn and Torch. The larger clown became territorial. Ever since I added the coral and the fighting started I noticed the smaller one started to get lesions on his stripes. He eats well not as much as initially but it may be because the larger one nips at him when he wants to eat. He pretty much stays at the bottom of the tank and if he moves he is reprimanded by the larger one. I am hoping the marking is just the female being to rough with him. Today the lesions were better and there is more white than before. Could it be itch or Brooks.

Thanks

IMG_2216.jpg

Im not 100% but considering that you just added frogspawn and torch coral you might look into something called hyper melinization. If thats the case it is just irritation from the corals and is harmless.

Maybe he's related to Michael Jackson?? :huh:

In that case, I would keep him off the meds. ;)

Hah! Ya'll aint right. I hope thats what it is. This guy liked hanging out in the Torch. He looks like he is healing but I will keep and eye and start researching quarantine tanks just in case.

If he's in the torch that's probably what it's from. One of my clowns has black spots all over him from the frogspawn, the other one (that's been living in the frog for a while now) had a bunch as well but they've gone away as she got used to the stings.

Thanks to everyone for the replys. I run purigen and chemi pure elite. Not sure what it was. I think it was either that he was bouncing back and forth from a frogspawn to a torch or my female was a little too rough with him. They finally paired and he is in his corner while she is hosting the torch. His white stripes have almost healed and he is eating good so hopefully I don't have anything to worry about. But thanks to everyone I was worried about the little guy.

if it was an irritation from corals, there would be black spots not white patches. turn the lights off and aftre an hour shine a flashlight on it. it it looks worse then i think you might have brook. doesnt look like 100% brook to me. might be an external parasite.

Archived