24 replies to this topic

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

Space Dog!

• Administrator
  • 8,673 posts
  • Joined 22 Jun 2001
  • Phoenix, AZ

For October we're featuring d9hp and his 20 gallon nano reef!

Posted Image

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find d9hp's tank journal in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for d9hp, and he'll try his best to answer them.
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

basser1

basser1

Nano Reefer Old Fart

• Members
  • 5,192 posts
  • Joined 28 Jul 2006
  • So. Indiana
:welcome: to the TOTM Club!!

Well deserved!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

stshy

stshy

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Joined 09 Dec 2010
I knew this was coming. Great tank, well desserved!

- Check out my tank -

THIRTY3

ry05coupe

ry05coupe

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
  • Joined 23 Jan 2009
  • Lexington, KY
Awesome!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335078-ry05coupes-rimless-92g-36x36x18/

teamschreiba

teamschreiba

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2010
  • Alexandria, VA
Congrats man it's well deserved!!
Posted Image

Dakarta

Dakarta

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2011
  • Indiana
Beautiful tank. Congratulations!!
Posted Image
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
http://tickers.Ticke...10930/n/Dakarta

d9hp

d9hp

half robot half reef

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  • Joined 01 Jun 2010
  • Raleigh, NC
Thanks everyone! It was quite a surprise to hear from Chris and I am really excited to be joining all the other awesome tanks here.
-Dustin
Posted Image

75g FOWLR

animalmaster6

animalmaster6

Moved On

• Members
  • 15,888 posts
  • Joined 29 Nov 2009
Congrats d9! :)

I've been wondering when you would get TOTM. You have an awesome tank, well deserved ;)

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 30,988 posts
  • Joined 19 Mar 2008
Nice tank! CM, home page says 3g pico reef, not 20L. :)

uwwmatt

uwwmatt

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,728 posts
  • Joined 19 Oct 2007
  • Wisconsin
Great tank
Cadlight25sig_zps08b1e94b.pngADAsig_zpsb193f687.png
Check out my previous June 2010 TOTM winner:Click Here!

DansTundra

DansTundra

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 18 Apr 2011
  • SF Bay Area
Congrats and you got a a awesome tank :)
BioCube 29 Build Log & Pic's
Posted Image
3 Panorama's LED's under the hood
Kessil powered SeaClear 50Gal Mixed Reef build
Posted Image
BioCube 14 Pic's & Info Transfered to BioCube 29 Sept. 2011

igotreefermadness

igotreefermadness

REEFER MADNESS

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Joined 09 Aug 2010
  • Lincoln, NE
Tank looks awesome man, I would just like to chime in on the comment you said, "keep your hands out of the tank and you will see great results". Earlier this summer, due to school and other constraints I only had a very small fraction of time maybe once every week to take care of my tank. This included manually topping off water and feeding etc. Aside from all of these unstable parameters, the PE I saw was the best my tank has ever had. It really made me appreciate the effects a person's hand can have on a tank, particularly in a nano reef. The coral thrive.
12 long gallons of REEFER MADNESS

th64

th64

Throttle

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Joined 23 Jul 2011
  • SoCal
congrats! looks like I should find some set of plastic tong-like holders instead of sticking my hand in the tank for misc. purposes. Any recommendations d9 or anyone else?

d9hp

d9hp

half robot half reef

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  • Joined 01 Jun 2010
  • Raleigh, NC

Congrats d9! :)

I've been wondering when you would get TOTM. You have an awesome tank, well deserved ;)

Nice tank! CM, home page says 3g pico reef, not 20L. :)

Great tank

Congrats and you got a a awesome tank :)

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate the kind remarks.

It's been fun for sure!

Tank looks awesome man, I would just like to chime in on the comment you said, "keep your hands out of the tank and you will see great results". Earlier this summer, due to school and other constraints I only had a very small fraction of time maybe once every week to take care of my tank. This included manually topping off water and feeding etc. Aside from all of these unstable parameters, the PE I saw was the best my tank has ever had. It really made me appreciate the effects a person's hand can have on a tank, particularly in a nano reef. The coral thrive.

Absolutely. If you can keep up with water changes all through those periods I bet you'd see even better results! Glad to hear you noticed that as well.

congrats! looks like I should find some set of plastic tong-like holders instead of sticking my hand in the tank for misc. purposes. Any recommendations d9 or anyone else?

Thanks th64. I really meant the comment to be taken more figuratively. I just meant that moving things around and micro-managing the system is what I believe causes people's slower growth. I think that simply putting corals in places where they are able to thrive and letting them do their own thing is the most ideal thing to do. Actually using your hand won't have any problems at all...and sometimes you've just got to get in there and move some stuff around!

My big paws always knock corals over too...and that just pisses you off more than anything.
-Dustin
Posted Image

75g FOWLR

Rehype

Rehype

R.I.P Jeremai

• Members
  • 9,390 posts
  • Joined 24 May 2007
  • New Jersey
Congrats buddy!well deserved.

11483425924_92a5374131.jpg

Glitch

Glitch

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 24 Aug 2011
  • SoCal
I've been lurking on this site for a while learning whatever I can so I can start my tank on the right foot. Your tank actually inspired me to get into sw and build the tank I am building. I first saw your tank on utube and followed it here. Not surprised at all that you have the TOTM. Ok enough ass kissing. If I have time to start a build thread hopefully you can give me some help, I'll need it.

Oh ya first post!

Edited by Glitch, 02 October 2011 - 06:48 PM.

th64

th64

Throttle

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Joined 23 Jul 2011
  • SoCal

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate the kind remarks.

It's been fun for sure!

Absolutely. If you can keep up with water changes all through those periods I bet you'd see even better results! Glad to hear you noticed that as well.

Thanks th64. I really meant the comment to be taken more figuratively. I just meant that moving things around and micro-managing the system is what I believe causes people's slower growth. I think that simply putting corals in places where they are able to thrive and letting them do their own thing is the most ideal thing to do. Actually using your hand won't have any problems at all...and sometimes you've just got to get in there and move some stuff around!

My big paws always knock corals over too...and that just pisses you off more than anything.

Oh haha alright got it!

johnamon

johnamon

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 28 Apr 2009
Hi d9hp,

Congratulations on winning TOTM! I am also running an arduino dimmed Cree CW/RB setup, but I'm not sure that my lighting is set optimally. I don't see much coral growth...

What percentage power do you run your LEDs at? I run mine at 65% of max current.

Thanks

john

steely185

steely185

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,019 posts
  • Joined 16 Feb 2009
  • Richmond, VA
I haven't had the chance to say it yet but congrats on the TOTM nod.

Arkayology

Arkayology

Just call me Indy

• Premium Members
  • 6,623 posts
  • Joined 08 Oct 2009
  • Santa Barbara, Ca
Congrats d9hp on TOTM! Well deserved.

boasdancepic.jpg

Archaeologists don't dig for dinosaurs

Arkayology's 40g Shallow Rimless April 2014 TOTM
60g SPS Cube
20h EssPeeEss Reef

Seller's Feedback

d9hp

d9hp

half robot half reef

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  • Joined 01 Jun 2010
  • Raleigh, NC

Congrats buddy!well deserved.

Thanks E!

I've been lurking on this site for a while learning whatever I can so I can start my tank on the right foot. Your tank actually inspired me to get into sw and build the tank I am building. I first saw your tank on utube and followed it here. Not surprised at all that you have the TOTM. Ok enough ass kissing. If I have time to start a build thread hopefully you can give me some help, I'll need it.

Oh ya first post!

Wow! That's awesome glitch. Glad I could inspire a little bit. This is a great resource...I learned most everything here. No, seriously. It's great!

Just PM me questions if you have any specifics...I don't always catch threads.

Thanks again

Oh haha alright got it!

Hi d9hp,

Congratulations on winning TOTM! I am also running an arduino dimmed Cree CW/RB setup, but I'm not sure that my lighting is set optimally. I don't see much coral growth...

What percentage power do you run your LEDs at? I run mine at 65% of max current.

Thanks

john

Hey John,

Thanks! Glad to hear you're running LEDs and I think we can get you sorted out on those lights working out for you. What is your current driver setup? Do you have control of individual colors? I run my blues at 100% which equates to about 800mA.

I run the whites around 40%-80% most of the time. That should be something like 350mA-650mA

I love the color too!

Cheers,
D

I haven't had the chance to say it yet but congrats on the TOTM nod.

Thanks for stopping by Dan...your old 37g was an absolute inspiration to me.

Thanks for that! :D

Congrats d9hp on TOTM! Well deserved.

Thanks SoCal...much appreciated
-Dustin
Posted Image

75g FOWLR

Hero

Hero

temperate reefer

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2009
  • San Diego, CA
Congrats! Great tank.

johnamon

johnamon

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 28 Apr 2009
Hi d9hp,

I have individual dimming of whites and blues, I have the whites now at 65% and the royal blues up to 75%. I'll leave it there for a month or so and edge up the blue if nothing happens.

Thanks for the advice

John

brandon429

brandon429

• Members
  • 5,244 posts
  • Joined 16 Feb 2002
  • Tx
D9 I stopped by to say great job. the picture of your tank up front page made me click and read it because the color was so soft purple and bright in that pic, its the nicest blue Ive seen on a tank.

one very old pico

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Congrats man.

Awesome Tank!