Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Removing rim on a JBJ Nanocube

wombat

Title pretty much says it all, has anyone done this? Is it a mess in the making, or does it end up looking nice? The tank is nearly perfect, but I really hate the look of the lid and rim.

I'd seen one in the past with the rim removed. The tank is glass, so I think they heated and pried at it until it came off. Not sure what type of glue is used to attached the rim though. Probably just silicon.

thadscottmoore
I'd seen one in the past with the rim removed. The tank is glass, so I think they heated and pried at it until it came off. Not sure what type of glue is used to attached the rim though. Probably just silicon.

I did one! and its some very serious silicon glue type stuff! has a damn good grip on plastic and glass! took a while to take off, but- the final product was nice! I also gutted the rear out and built a overflow box out of scrap acrylic. got a 70watt Metal Halide hood with LED supplement lights.

Click on my link to the 24G

I feel like I have a half decent walk through on how to do it.

First page.

I'm not trying to hijack but I read your walk through and was wondering if the edge/rim of the glass is still sharp and can cut you. did you do something to it? I don't think i would like sharp edges around the rim

I'm not trying to hijack but I read your walk through and was wondering if the edge/rim of the glass is still sharp and can cut you. did you do something to it? I don't think i would like sharp edges around the rim

Only if the glass gets chipped.

Heating the plastic will work wonders too, unless the tank is stocked and running already.

Click on my link to the 24G

I feel like I have a half decent walk through on how to do it.

First page.

Awesome, thank you! I was hoping a guinea pig had already tried this...I take it no leaks at all?

Brilliant idea to use a heat gun. Mine is still empty so I can use the whole bag of tricks.

Awesome, thank you! I was hoping a guinea pig had already tried this...I take it no leaks at all?

Brilliant idea to use a heat gun. Mine is still empty so I can use the whole bag of tricks.

Np. I just wish I would have recorded it on video to help even more but I didn't think it was that popular.

No leaks at all and it has been de-rimmed for over 4 months now.

Good luck and just remember to take your time!

Thanks again. So to clarify you make the cut and then pull the shortened sections off as one whole piece? Did you use a screwdriver or something to wedge it out or just yank?

I'm digging your lamp holders too. I was thinking pendant but hanging one would be a pita. Plus I already have two par38 lamps laying around. Do you get any lazy drifting of the gooseneck over time?

I just did this over the weekend on my 28g pics of it are in the members tank area. I used a hack saw and cut the trim about ever 6 to 8 inches. i then used a utility knife and cut out as much silicone as i could from under the rim. Then you just pull up with some force it will pop off. The fun begins after you get it off a razor blade and some time is needed to scrape all the silicone off.... I plan on hanging the AI nano over mine as well...

Thanks everyone for the help. This was pretty easy once a Dremel got involved. I used a box cutter up under the rim to cut most of the silicone away, then a cutting wheel to go through the plastic in the front center and back center. Once you can get under it the whole piece will pull away.

Like Texas says it takes quite a while to get off all the silicone residue...

Thanks everyone for the help. This was pretty easy once a Dremel got involved. I used a box cutter up under the rim to cut most of the silicone away, then a cutting wheel to go through the plastic in the front center and back center. Once you can get under it the whole piece will pull away.

Like Texas says it takes quite a while to get off all the silicone residue...

Looks great! Nice job

Looks really good man!

How long did it take you?

you all got me thinking about doing it now... but my tank is up and running and would be a total PITA

Looks really good man!

How long did it take you?

you all got me thinking about doing it now... but my tank is up and running and would be a total PITA

Removing the rim takes about 10 minutes. Getting off all the silicone residue took about an hour and a half. Brand new razor blades and a bit of 95% ethanol make the job much much easier.

Archived