Cultivated Reef

South Florida fish store reviews

keydiver

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to mention them before but REEF'S EDGE has some REALLY nice corals, he has maxi mini's and ALL SORTS of acan's and other LPS corals as well as ALOT of SPS corals

He has some Montipora's that started off as frags and he just never sold them and they are literally 20+ inches across if not larger, Last time I was in there he has a hammer coral that was roughly 18" from left to right and about 10" from top to bottom when it was CLOSED!

They are on the corner of Orange Dr and 441 just west of 441 on the north side of the road

Reefs Edge

(954) 316-5153

4707 Orange Dr

Davie Fl 33313

The owners name is Mark but usually his wife will be the one who is at the shop as he is usually out doing service

I'm going to be traveling to Naples, FL next month, any places you guys recommend I check out while I'm there?

Not really in naples, but in fort myers there is boardroom aquatics and aquarium and reef center. Boardroom is smaller and not a well equipped, but they have some nice choice pieces ( got a huge very nice red planet acro for about 50). The owners are pretty business savvy and aren't afraid to haggle.

Aquarium and reef center is much larger and has much better selection as far as variety goes.

• 4 months later...
Jacob042426

strictly fish

this one is my favorite. i love going there and clearing out underneath the frag racks. they give you everything for $5. I got a blasto, chalice and a lot of nice zoa frags, all for $5. also a great selection of fish and a nice staff.they also have 2 incredibe displays and very nice sps. i give it a 5/5. :)

exotic aquariums

i dont love exotic. the staff is really cocky and can be rude. the corals arent very nice and are always covered in algae and discolored. it is filled with a bunch of noobs too. i give it a 2.5/5. :(

reef aquariums of miami

incredible display and custom made aquariums. amazing rare lps. a little on the pricy side. the guy who runs it is great. 4/5

fish collection

lots of people in there always. lots of fw, and mostly fish. not many corals and most are beginner stuff. sometimes youll find something there. 3/5

somethings fishy

something is fishy there. :mellow: "bioballs work because of surface area" "curry chicken tastes good because of surface area" :lol: if you have been there, you know what i am talking about. :P it is very outdated. easily a 1/5. :scarry:

Blue Seas is close to the house. They have some decent pieces though mostly overpriced. Worth stopping in and cruising through. Sometimes you can pick up something reasonably priced. They usually have a nice selection of invertebrates. The corals always look happy. So mixed review. Nice livestock but as a rule, overpriced. 3.5

Coral Kingdom

9129 Taft Street

Pembroke Pines, FL

Small store loaded with quality livestock. I mean loaded. If its out there, Victor has it. Super nice colonies and tons of frags. 5 out of 5

Coral Reef Farm

2848 Stirling Road #D (?)

Hollywood FL

Lots of livestock and very knowledgeable guys that run it. Its where I get my NSW for my water changes. Mostly large colony stuff geared toward bigger reef tanks but they always have smaller stuff as well. Just not as much. 4.5 out of 5

• 1 month later...

Putting a good word for Dana Cramer at Cramer's Caribbean Critters in the Florida Keys.

Famous for his Dwarf Seahorses, but I went in for his low priced beautiful Ricordeas, combined with the ultra discounted Fedex shipping rates.

The online shopping experience, is and uncommon one but efficient; you pay for your items through Paypal, and receive them two days later via Fedex. There is no communications in between, unless he's not able to deliver the order on time.

If you are looking for a hard to find items, then Dana is your guy; he has built quite a reputation on this.

Overall experience 5/5, although not aware his fulfillment methods, got a little nervous, when i did not received an order confirmation email.

Putting a good word for Dana Cramer at Cramer's Caribbean Critters in the Florida Keys.

Famous for his Dwarf Seahorses, but I went in for his low priced beautiful Ricordeas, combined with the ultra discounted Fedex shipping rates.

The online shopping experience, is and uncommon one but efficient; you pay for your items through Paypal, and receive them two days later via Fedex. There is no communications in between, unless he's not able to deliver the order on time.

If you are looking for a hard to find items, then Dana is your guy; he has built quite a reputation on this.

Overall experience 5/5, although not aware his fulfillment methods, got a little nervous, when i did not received an order confirmation email.

Wow, $5-$6 a ric... very nice find i may be placing an order with them

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much agree with all the reviews on this thread.

I would like to add a review of someone who is open to the public but runs his business out of his home.

Southside corals:

Facebook page

(786) 564-2330

First off Carlos is a pleasure to deal with, he is very knowledgeable, honest and its extremely evident that he loves the hobby! He has by far some of the nicest, healthiest corals I have seen of any South Florida store. Not to mention the prices are extremely fair and most things are frags from his own stock. He is a zoa/paly collector so if that is your thing he has the most amazing morphs I have ever seen in person.

I highly recommend checking him out. If you are not local he does offer shipping and is in the process of getting his web-site up and running.

I am in no way affiliated with this person.

I pretty much agree with all the reviews on this thread.

I would like to add a review of someone who is open to the public but runs his business out of his home.

Southside corals:

Facebook page

(786) 564-2330

First off Carlos is a pleasure to deal with, he is very knowledgeable, honest and its extremely evident that he loves the hobby! He has by far some of the nicest, healthiest corals I have seen of any South Florida store. Not to mention the prices are extremely fair and most things are frags from his own stock. He is a zoa/paly collector so if that is your thing he has the most amazing morphs I have ever seen in person.

I highly recommend checking him out. If you are not local he does offer shipping and is in the process of getting his web-site up and running.

I am in no way affiliated with this person.

I fully second this post. As an avid zoa/paly collector, it's great to have a guy right around the orner that has a huge selection of stuff. I was over there yesterday actually. He is even housing some of my sps while I get my new tank params stable.

This is a good dude. He is expanding his setup that now includes 2 60g frag tanks, 3 pvc tanks, and 2 new huge frag tanks. His coral is superb quality and his prices are fair. I strongly encourage anybody looking for nice zoas/acans to give him a ring.

• 2 weeks later...

Strictly Fish:

I've been going here since I first started in this hobby and honestly have never seen a better store. They're staff is extremely knowledgeable and not to mention their prices are incredible as well. My favorite thing about them is that it's not one of those places who offers you the more expensive product that does the same as the cheaper just to make money. The corals are always incredible, I can't leave the store without purchasing something -___- I love the fact that they have the corals separated with the $20, $30, $40, $50 section and all the corals are easily viewable. By the way, if you haven't checked them out lately they're new display tank in the back of the store is legit incredible. I'm in no way affiliated with this store, however I've had my share of Aquarium shop hunting down Bird Road and it's really the only one who has helped me and never failed me yet. Rated 5 out of 5

Exotic Aquariums:

This is not a bad store, however I can't say it's a good one either. The staff is usually just some guys who don't really care about the hobby and they do NOT know how to handle the livestock. I purchased 2 Bangaii Cardinals from them and the I tried to explain to the guy how to tell male from female and he didn't know the difference and just responded "I really don't give a #### about sexing them, so what do you want" which I found rude lol but I didn't really care, what I did care about was the way he handled the fish that I was about to purchased he had the fish out of water for a while and when I told him he rolled his eyes at me. Then to top it off he put the fish in the bag and spun the bag SO FAST that I literally thought the fishes were going to die because it became a twister in there, it made me sick. Maybe it was just this guy, and I had my bad luck. But they're staff has never been the helpful kind when I'm there. They usually walk by customers and just ignore them until you hunt them down. All in all, the livestock they offer is nice. The corals are a bit overpriced so I wouldn't recommend buying corals. Once again, Maybe I just had my bad luck with this one employee (although none of the others have ever offered to help unless I hunt them down) but this guy truly made me not want to shop at this store. Rated 2 out of 5 because as they do offer nice fish and corals the staff is in no way helpful and most of the items in the store are overpriced.

There'a a new store around Bird and 67th, has anyone been there yet? I went by and truthfully was not impressed, and actually left somewhat annoyed by the (who I assume to be) owner. I would rather not explain what happened and would like to see the opinions of others.

My first impression though is that the store is a lot of fanfare with very little to show for it. But, they just opened, so I suppose like a tank, they need time to cycle ;)

Just my two cents! I also wish, for the life of me, I could remember the name of the store.

• 2 years later...

Nice review KeyDiver!

I love VIP Reef and Exotic Aquariums. House of fins is my "Go to" store because its so close by, but I usually just get water there.They do give me fair trades though- like ill bring 6 pipe organ frags and leave with a small LPS or a few zoa frag.

They are the LFS that will sell you a tank, live rock, live sand, two clowns, and a CUC in one day though without mentioning cycling.

House of Fins has moved- the address on the 1st post is no longer correct.

ReefTop? Definitely not my favorite!

Never seen such an unprepared staff. They refuse to give you prices on most of the corals and won't sell them if the "Manager" is not there, which is 4/5 days of the week.

Although Ive been there to buy things like Radion Wide angle Lenses or my ReefLink, their corals are sub-par IMO. Lots of hair algae, zoas floating around the bottom of the tank, etc. Only coral I bought there was a $5 shroom, which was floating around their tank lol.

Wow, $5-$6 a ric... very nice find i may be placing an order with them

Tried checking them out but

"Due to some sudden family issues, we are currently unable to accept any new orders; however, we will be back in full operation in 6 weeks. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks"

:(

• 3 weeks later...

You guy's HAVE to check out Blue Sea's Aquariums...I work there now since I had been shopping there for awhile and they have BY FAR the BEST coral selection of anyplace I have seen, The corals are about as healthy as you could ever imagine, they have tons of frags for the guys with smaller tanks as well as large pieces for guys that can fit them, SERIOUSLY GO CHECK THEM OUT

Thye are on the south east corner of sunrise blvd and university drive in the plaza where denny's is at and we are located between ofra day spa and japan in...I work monday through thursay from 12-6 so come in and ask for me "mike" and I will help you out and get you the best prices I can on any corals or inverts or fish you need

The first time I walked in this place I had to change my underwear because the coral selection was so incredible, It's a fairly small store but we have a TON of coral

The number is 954-452-4006

If I am not there ask for jeremy and tell him I sent you in, I assure you that you will fall IN LOVE

idk if you still work there, but i went in and the store is asking around $2k for a master scoly. One of my personal friends owns his own business, does appointment only, and sells 2-3 inch master scales for 600 a piece, and 4+ inches for 800.... theres a nice selection, but god are the prices high, with those prices the corals must be growing diamonds....

House of Fins (US1 &129th) has a new owner with GREAT corals at a much better price than before.

i would love to go to all the store miami offers, but i live in coral springs, don't really wanna make the hour+ long drive for what my very good friend already has at better prices ya know....

i would love to go to all the store miami offers, but i live in coral springs, don't really wanna make the hour+ long drive for what my very good friend already has at better prices ya know....

Haha I get what you mean! I have my sources too ;)

I live in Doral and have checked out all stores from Hollywood down to The Falls. Strictly fish is the best store by far. Ocean view aquariums for fish as second choice.

I live in Doral and have checked out all stores from Hollywood down to The Falls. Strictly fish is the best store by far. Ocean view aquariums for fish as second choice.

the best by far for what? I'm into very rare corals, not small frags and fish...

the best by far for what? I'm into very rare corals, not small frags and fish...

If you have special needs, you may want to check them out yourself.

This thread is great, I'm actually working on a site that will have a list different fish stores near you and let you filter by what they offer (link in my thread). I'm still working on Florida, but I'll definitely use this as a reference point to make sure I add all these stores.

Archived