Top Shelf Aquatics

BC29 media basket flow problem

acronce

Hi all,

I've got a fairly new BC29 media basket set up, with both baskets in chamber 2. I've got floss, Purigen, and Chemi-pure in the first basket, and cheato in the second. I took out the tab and glued flow guides to the plastic piece that goes where the tab used to be to direct the flow to the floss. I kind of screwed up one side so not all the flow goes in the basket, but most of it does.

Flow was great for a while, but has started backing up recently and is flowing over the edges of the first basket. It's as if the water cannot go through the floss/Purigen/Chemi-pure column fast enough.

I thought it might be the floss, which I clean twice a week or so and replace weekly. Also the Purigen was looking light brownish, so I took it out for a recharge. During this weekend's water change, the Chemi-pure bag looked like it had detritus in it, so I took the whole basket and dunked it in the water pulled from the change and shook it around a little.

Now I've got the basket back in with fresh floss and the same Chemi-pure. I left out the Purigen for now because the recharge process is still ongoing. Flow is still very bad with water spilling around the edges.

My guess is that the Chemi-pure bag is still clogged and is blocking the flow. I guess this is a stupid question, but should I pull it out and rinse it? The reason why I ask is that the installation instructions indicate that you shouldn't over-rinse this product. Also I don't have an RO source, so I'd have to rinse with filtered tap water.

Any suggestions on resolving my flow problem would be appreciated.

Best,

--

Allen Cronce

Allen-

Tie your chemi pure bag to the middle shelf to pick it off the bottom holes.

Bag%20Tied.jpg

IMG_7669.jpg

My guess is that the Chemi-pure bag is still clogged and is blocking the flow. I guess this is a stupid question, but should I pull it out and rinse it? The reason why I ask is that the installation instructions indicate that you shouldn't over-rinse this product. Also I don't have an RO source, so I'd have to rinse with filtered tap water.

No need to keep rinsing. When you get a new bag you can just use tap water.

Tie your chemi pure bag to the middle shelf to pick it off the bottom holes.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did tie the chemi-pure bag to the middle rack, but it might be slumping against the holes if the bag stretched or something. I'll pull the rack and check it.

Best,

--

Allen Cronce

Sure enough, the chemi-pure bag had slumped down and was covering the holes. I hoisted it up and retied it and flow is back to normal.

I didn't realize how key it was to keep the bag off the holes. Now I see it's critical.

Thanks for the advice StevieT!

Any time. That bag is likes to block just enough flow, and with the basket being four sided it has no where to go. Not that back up is really that bad, but we don't like to see too much of it as owners.

Archived