ReefCleaners.org

Bc 14 media basket question.

Jmorton

Ok so I'm having an issue with algae building up on the glass and the outside of my media basket. The media basket is a half inch or more smaller than the chamber itself. So my problem is not with the basket but the non moving water on the outside of it. I do have the stay hold directing the water into the media basket but the chamber is still full of water inside the basket and out. So i am guessing the slow moving water is what's causing the build up. I would say this algae must be cyano, its reddish purple, and some tan but very slimy. Is it normal to have to pull the media basket out every other day to clean it? Another thing I have is when I'm running filter floss it seems my chaeto melts away (turns to a slimy mush) from the same algae forming on it and starving it out due to not enough flow. I'm not real sure if I'm doing something wrong or not but I am here to find out. I keep my water level just below the first shelf in the basket. My nitrate and phosphates stay at 0. Any help for me? Oh and I also upgraded to the mj 900.

Hello-

What are you using for a fuge light? And are you turning your filtration pump off when you feed? What you describe sounds like cyano and or red slime and shouldn't be there. There is a lack of flow around the basket but not inside. My best guess is bad light, no light and or a saturation of nutrients.

For light I'm using a 100w comparable spiral bulb(daylight 6500k). I do not turn off the pump when I feed my fish 3 times a week, a small quarter inch or so chunk of rods. I do turn it off when I spot feed my corals with mysis. I only feed my few lps one mysis per head (all less than 5 heads) twice a week. There's not a bit of algae Anywhere except Round the outside of my media basket unless I use polyfill then its on the light Side of the basket inside.

When I said glass in the firs post I meant the back window. Never have this algae in the display.

Archived