114 replies to this topic

Neto

Neto

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2008
  • Maryland

I took some pictures in RAW for the first time with different settings, these are the best I got..

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Neto, 22 March 2012 - 05:05 AM.

Posted Image

miniwhinny

miniwhinny

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 25 Oct 2006
I speechless!!!!

Stunning, simply STUNNING :D

R33 GTR

R33 GTR

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2011
OMG its beutifull man

582495_10151329435611380_1001955470_n.jp

Rehype

Rehype

R.I.P Jeremai

• Members
  • 9,469 posts
  • Joined 24 May 2007
  • New Jersey
Looks great neto!

11483425924_92a5374131.jpg

Neto

Neto

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2008
  • Maryland
thanks guys!

I recently installed a media reactor with some BRS GFO in it!

Edited by Neto, 07 April 2012 - 05:13 PM.

Posted Image

Brad'snanocube

Brad'snanocube

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Joined 10 Dec 2011
Is the tang happy in the tank? I'm not the tang police, just a curious hobbyist!
6gallon Nano Cube

Neto

Neto

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2008
  • Maryland

Is the tang happy in the tank? I'm not the tang police, just a curious hobbyist!

well it moves around allot, goes through the rocks, knows all the hiding places follows me whenever I am around, whenever I feed, it goes near me and eats allot..

I think it is happy
Posted Image

JR!

JR!

BANGARANG!

• Members
  • 6,889 posts
  • Joined 01 Sep 2011
  • Medina Ohio

well it moves around allot, goes through the rocks, knows all the hiding places follows me whenever I am around, whenever I feed, it goes near me and eats allot..

I think it is happy

sounds happy to me. id move him in do time though

logo-grey.png FOKZMSG.gif

12476890073_3f76a2c307_o.png
13792750754_50b4aac8ba_o.jpg

Boboli

Boboli

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Joined 31 Aug 2011
  • Bakersfield
Cool tank! Thanks for the great ideas shown in your thread.
I have a 24w by 48l by 9.4h in the works. I will be posting a build thread soon.

Aunt Minnie

Aunt Minnie

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Joined 22 Sep 2010
  • Evanston, Illinois
Hey Neto,

Your stand is fricking sweet! Very contemporary and "ADA-esque." I'm looking to build something similar. Couple questions:

1.) Is that baltic birch ply you used to skin the stand?
2.) What did you use to seal/prime the inside of your stand?
3.) How did you affix the outer plywood to the 2x4 inner frame? I'm afraid that using nails or screws will mar the contemporary/sleek look of the stand, but don't know how else to attach these panels. I don't see any nails or screws in your design. Any tips?
4.) Did you apply any type of finish to the outer skin? Any plans to stain or dye the wood?

Thanks a bunch!

AliGaudiosi

AliGaudiosi

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 02 May 2012
wow your tank is stunning. :D I wish I had the skill/knowledge base to do something like this. Maybe I can work my way up! Thanks for some inspiration. wow

Neto

Neto

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2008
  • Maryland

Hey Neto,

Your stand is fricking sweet! Very contemporary and "ADA-esque." I'm looking to build something similar. Couple questions:

1.) Is that baltic birch ply you used to skin the stand?
2.) What did you use to seal/prime the inside of your stand?
3.) How did you affix the outer plywood to the 2x4 inner frame? I'm afraid that using nails or screws will mar the contemporary/sleek look of the stand, but don't know how else to attach these panels. I don't see any nails or screws in your design. Any tips?
4.) Did you apply any type of finish to the outer skin? Any plans to stain or dye the wood?

Thanks a bunch!

Sure

1. It is birch panel 1/2" from HD but not sure if baltic
2. Regular white semi gloss.. it will get dirty so you can clean and repaint easily :)
3. No nails or screws here just use wood glue, make sure that the frame us the one taking the load and not the panels. Frame does need screws +glue.
4. I left it naturally no stains but i did apply a polygloss clear finish. It shines good and protects it from water.

Recomendations:
Make sure that the top of the frame( part that gets contact with glass) is flat!! Allot of 2x4's are not straigt and this can put pressure on the tank and break it. You can achieve the flat top by getting straigt wood ad also putting them on a flat surface and glue the pieces together and later apply strong screws..

Panels need 45 degree cuts so you need a table saw and another person to help u move that panel. Measure three times to make sure it is accurate. Blade is 1/8" thick so take that into consideration too..
Posted Image

Neto

Neto

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2008
  • Maryland

wow your tank is stunning. :D I wish I had the skill/knowledge base to do something like this. Maybe I can work my way up! Thanks for some inspiration. wow

lol thanks

building stuff is not hard, it depends on tools, handy and attention to detail. Practice makes perfect and also, the internet is a great resource for building things. Sometimes it is much much cheaper to buy the materials and the tool to DIY thant to contract someone plus you have fun building it and you can keep the tool at the end for future projects. I have applied this rule for many many projects at my house and so far I have a table saw, miter saw, wet saw, 30 gallon compressor, pressure washer, nail gun, drill, etc etc etc just to name a few...
Posted Image

Aunt Minnie

Aunt Minnie

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Joined 22 Sep 2010
  • Evanston, Illinois
Thanks for the quick reply, that's very helpful info.

I agree with your philosophy on buying tools...so far I've acquired a miter saw, drill press, palm sander and clamps...no table saw yet though.

The table saw is next on the list, as I've had to rely on my less-than-trustworthy Home Depot to rip panels up until now. However, a decent table saw is unfortunately not cheap ($350+) and a great table saw is totally outside the realm of affordability ($1000+). Given the fact that I at best tackle projects like this once/year, I'm not sure if even an average table saw is worth it.

Any suggestions for a good value-based (read: inexpensive) table saw which is not a total piece of crap?

Neto

Neto

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2008
  • Maryland
I did all my work on a 10" ryobi table saw its like $129.99
Posted Image

Deleted User 4

Deleted User 4

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 11,474 posts
  • Joined 05 Jul 2009
Update?

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

Space Dog!

• Administrator
  • 8,740 posts
  • Joined 22 Jun 2001
  • Phoenix, AZ

Very nice custom build Neto, all the details of your design are beautiful. I particularly like the stand. How is your nano reef doing these days?

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Neto

Neto

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2008
  • Maryland

the tank is doing great, no major algae issues, parameters are stable and everything is growing. I have more corals now, some are still small but have been growing great. I am upgrading my 10g sump to a 15g refugium (no skimmer) soon.

Will post picture later this week!

Posted Image

pschom

pschom

Reef Jigalow

• Members
  • 2,856 posts
  • Joined 13 Oct 2010
  • Pimpin Reefs Since 2010
Awesome man. Good color from that light. I have a frag of the same favia? and the color your getting is amazing. Cool tang. I had one in my 30 for a while, but when I started adding more fish he was cramped. If he was the only one I would have kept him.

I have been sucking it out as well but not as agressive as I could be.

The Inspiration: A Shallow Odyssey

BC 29 AI LED - One Journey Ends, Another Begins

Neto

Neto

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2008
  • Maryland

Awesome man. Good color from that light. I have a frag of the same favia? and the color your getting is amazing. Cool tang. I had one in my 30 for a while, but when I started adding more fish he was cramped. If he was the only one I would have kept him.

Its a christmas favia, however its dying for some reason.. I might need to put it in the shade soon

DSC_0488_zpsdb81fe39.jpg

DSC_0489_zps61d26745.jpgDSC_0496_zps8062ecc3.jpgDSC_0499_zpsabd03621.jpgDSC_0483_zps8b02897b.jpgDSC_0480_zps86b996d1.jpgDSC_0478_zps9497427b.jpgDSC_0477_zpsc8a7a7c6.jpgDSC_0475_zpse8e4ff9a.jpgDSC_0474_zps05959ebb.jpgDSC_0472_zps170959a2.jpgDSC_0469_zps21bbb6da.jpgDSC_0466_zps69ad8626.jpg

photo6_zps734a4bcc.jpg

Posted Image

Velvet Red

Velvet Red

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 12 Dec 2012
  • Auckland , New Zealand

Nice!

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996

High School Reef Junkie

• Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • Joined 28 Aug 2011
  • Florida, Tampa
Nice I have the same radioactive dragon eye zoa morph.

pschom

pschom

Reef Jigalow

• Members
  • 2,856 posts
  • Joined 13 Oct 2010
  • Pimpin Reefs Since 2010

UPDATE? 

I have been sucking it out as well but not as agressive as I could be.

The Inspiration: A Shallow Odyssey

BC 29 AI LED - One Journey Ends, Another Begins

Neto

Neto

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2008
  • Maryland

UPDATE? 

Tank had an alkalinity drop recently because I left it solo for 2 weeks (I was on vacation) and I am still cleaning it! Some of my SPS's lost their colors but they are coloring up again. I left it at 8dkh & 420ppm calcium. After I arrived from vacation it was 5dkh & 400 cal. Now its back to the normal parameters so its slowly recovering!

This is new to the tank:

• New Bigger Sump & refugium, better design, filter sock, chaeto, skimmer & media reactor.
  • Marine Color MCD-3-M (3 head dosing pump) to dose alk, mag & cal (coming in the mail soon)
  • 30 caribbean nerite snails
  • Got more corals recently (green slimer, purple stag, ORA blue hawkins, Ponape bnst, Pink bnst, Bopa bnst, purple cap, ricordea's & some zoa's from the caribbean) 

I will post pictures sometime next week after tank settles.

Posted Image

mgsullivan24

mgsullivan24

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 16 Apr 2011
  • O'Fallon, Missouri
Awesome tank, I'm tagging along
Custom 5g DT, 2.5g sump, aquaticlife 115 protien skimmer, danner mag 1.9 return, k2 viper 70w ushio 20k, PrestigeLed dimable 36w full spectrum PAR38, 2x Ecoxotic 453 PicoStrips, hydor nano circulation.
Mixed reef 

Full Zeovit switched July 2nd 2013, so far so good

http://www.nano-reef...f/#entry4366062

20g high w/ 10g sump 60w Cree LEDs