ReefCleaners.org

Zoa ID: Large zoas, not sure what they are!

melbell86

Hey all, so i got these zoas as hitchikers about 6 months ago, and i have no idea what they are. They were very small at first and seemed to have exploded within the last few months. I thought they might be some kind of people eaters because they have some white striping near the top when they close up and are a bit larger than "regular" zoas. or i thought maybe they could be palys? Im really not sure i need your help!Thanks!

042.jpg

030-1.jpg

I don't have an answer as to what then are but they are awesome looking. I would like to find out so I can get one for my tank. Hopefully someone will help out here.

those are palythoas. some people call them green people eaters but they are not true green people eaters. The green mouth (slit) in the middle identifies them as a people eater morph

those are palythoas. some people call them green people eaters but they are not true green people eaters. The green mouth (slit) in the middle identifies them as a people eater morph

Actually, the white markings on the outside are also very good indications of them being legit PEs.

melbell86

so are these PE zoa's? They have white stripe like markings when they close up. I can get them to close tomorrow and snap a picture if it helps. Im new to keeping corals, and have been searching around for a while now to try to figure out what these guys are. thanks everyone!

Actually, the white markings on the outside are also very good indications of them being legit PEs.

They are legit people eaters. But the trade name for them I have seen are called "green people eaters" I was just saying they are not "true green people eaters"

Heres a pic of "TGPE"

TrueGPEAri15April2010.jpg

melbell86

thank you! yeah they are definately not that green, but very similar. Im excited to get a cool hitchiker like this! I got the live rock from my LFS who got it from an aquarist who was breaking down his tank. All the rock was covered in coraline algae, and to my suprise when i got home, these guys!

melbell86

well i did some more looking around, and i think i may know exactly what they are. you cant tell too well from the picture, but there is a faint blue tinted ring around the edge of the paly's. I believe that these are blue ring people eater palythoas. Here is a google image of some that i found!

Palythoa_blue_ring_people_eater.jpg

thanks for the help guys, im glad to have finally found out what these cool guys are!

melbell86
What camera are you guys using.for.these pictures looks good

the firs two pictures are the only pictures i took! I have a Sony steady shot DSC-h50. Its not an slr or anything crazy, and it wasnt too hard on the wallet. I really love it! it has a 15X zoom on it which is really awesome.i got it almost 2 years ago and it works great. it took me a while to figure out how to get good tank shots (you have to adjust the white balance manually or else it looks blue).

Archived