xMutil4teR

xMutil4teR

Boomer

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 01 Apr 2011
  • North Jersey

Hey everyone,

I currently have a 10g reef and it has a hood with actinic lighting. I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to implement LED's as well, so I can offer the coral another type of lighting and get the most out of the color.

Any ideas?

Fluffeh

Fluffeh

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • Joined 02 Nov 2010
buy a ecoxotic all blue stunner strip! they are like 50 bucks and have 3M tape on it already if you just want to stick it to a surface or you can just screw it in.

look up ecoxotic stunner strips on youtube for some great videos

ReefEscape

ReefEscape

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Joined 01 Feb 2009
  • Jenison, MI
I just added the Ecoxotic 453nm Blue Stunner Strip and it really does make a difference. It costs $70 for the strip and the 24v wall transformer, but 1 transformer can run up to 6 strips. I have an Aquapod 24 with 72w cf lighting and it does wash out most of the color from 1 Stunner Strip, but when it is on alone, it is Totally Awsome (it does make the cf lighting about 2 shades bluer for a nicer look when they are all on together).

Psychosis

Psychosis

Pragmatism > Minimalism

• Members
  • 6,054 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2008
  • Minot AFB, ND
I'd recommend checking the classifieds. I just sold my strip with powersupply for $35, you can get them cheap.

Sig-1_zps8ba86648.jpg

^ It's now click-able. Awh yea.

Lawnman, on 31 Mar 2013 - 15:31, said:

Where is psycho at today? I need to read some of his awesome ramblings.

henryfdez

henryfdez

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 22 Feb 2011
  • Puerto Rico
Stunner strips no doubt.........I have a 12g Aquapod and I'm running 2 actinic stunners next to my 64watts of PC and you will not believe how bright the corals look. I'll post some pics to prove my point :D

This is what my light setup looks like so you get an idea:
Posted Image

These pictures were taken with just the 2 stunners on:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

These are with all lights on...look at how the colors still pop even when the daylights are on-
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"Try to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself."

Posted Image

xMutil4teR

xMutil4teR

Boomer

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 01 Apr 2011
  • North Jersey
Wow. I can't thank you all enough for the responses! I have found the next investment for my tank. I'm really excited and those pictures really prove how much of a difference it makes!

Thank you all so much. Other than classifieds, any other places where I can get them relatively cheap?

MrIcky

MrIcky

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,505 posts
  • Joined 26 Jun 2009
On the stunners, they are coming out with a 1/3 purple and 2/3 blue stunner which should be even poppier if you wait another week or 2.

reefNrod

reefNrod

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 25 Apr 2011
I couldn't quite tell but it looked like you were running a regular 10gallon tank not an AIO. If that's the case you might try the new ML7 from Orphek. It has 4 blue and 3 violet @ 2 watts each. I love the look of mine.

Check out the pics

http://www.orphek.com/index-8.php