Top Shelf Aquatics

Did Marineland Fail?

krug1313

What's your take on the new reef capable LED fixture from Marineland?

From early reviews it seems this fixture just isn't powerful enough. I figured with all these LED fixtures out for Marineland to look at they would have packed more power into the unit. From what I understand it's hitting 80 par (umol if that's the same thing) @ 18" from the sandbed. I'd like to see what some our our LED user/pros;) have to say.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/31/exclusi...ure-marineland/

Uber Fail....

They released that 1 LED fixture with the statement "this light is not meant to keep corals"

What's the point of LED's and no corals?

???? #### the big box bastards they need to stay on there own turf i hope there product is ####

ROFL.They didnt have corals in mind when they were designing this unit. FOWLR or freshwater with easy plants..

Uber fail though for trying to compete with other, coral growing, units.

Pretty much. For those familiar with LED lighting I'd imagine they won't touch this fixture with a 10 ft pole. I'm thinking marineland is banking on noobs as their primary purchases. As soon as they see "reef capable" they'll be all over it. Seriousley I can't believe they came with this to the market given what's already out there.

Uber Fail....

They released that 1 LED fixture with the statement "this light is not meant to keep corals"

What's the point of LED's and no corals?

ummmmmm, seriously? :mellow:

Reefing is just a portion of the hobby. There is plenty of money in the freshwater/FO saltwater industry, at which they were aiming the product.

ummmmmm, seriously? :mellow:

Reefing is just a portion of the hobby. There is plenty of money in the freshwater/FO saltwater industry, at which they were aiming the product.

+1

They really should have left out the "reef capable" out on these. I mean they obviously have an intrest in the reefing hobby but have just fell short. It's no secret this fixture was being aimed at reefing.. That's all they've been talking about. Reefbuilders seem to think marineland has a gem in their early testing stages. Still I'd really like to hear from the LED guru Evil on these. They should sell these as a diy kit and let you put your choice of LEDs while using their form factor.

nano_keeper30

Reef Capable no, but it probably does put out a good spectrum of light that would enhance the look of any FOWLR or Freshwater tank.

But do give them props, a majority of marinelands stuff is pretty decent quality. I am a marineland fan, always have been. They seem to offer you a great product at a great price. I am sure they will hit the nail on the head with a lot better product pretty soon that will be cost effective yet plenty useable.

doesn't look like it has anywhere enough blue for me. and i tried their other one the crappier version of this one. and it sucked way worse. i mean as soon as i turned it on i started wrapping it back up and took it back to the store for some T5's. so yeah it will probably suck. and they are gonna want what around 150+ your better off saving your money and gettinga fish need it 4 bulb set up with 2 actinic stunner strips and still come up saving money over this POS imo.

Deleted User 6

It's plenty reef capable you dumbs. You think a reef has to have LPS or SPS? That will grow zoas and other softies just fine. Anyways, they didn't make it for the hardcore reefer.

Archived