Coral Vue Hydros

Good crabs and bad crabs

Swedereefer

Sorry man never had them. My neighbor got them in jail one time from the blankets.

First time for me.. itches like hell, and the claws pinching the nuts isn't nice either..

Anyone knows if this are good/bad crabs.

IMGP7767.jpg

IMGP7766.jpg

IMGP7765.jpg

IMGP7762.jpg

IMGP7761.jpg

no 1 and no2 are porcelain crbas and good. No 3 is a box crab and not really reef safe i think. risky in my opinion.

No 4 and 5 are BAAAAAAD. Don't let them get back into your tank. They'll nip at your corals!!!!!

no 1 and no2 are porcelain crbas and good. No 3 is a box crab and not really reef safe i think. risky in my opinion.

No 4 and 5 are BAAAAAAD. Don't let them get back into your tank. They'll nip at your corals!!!!!

Thank you, i can have 3-5 run around in my refugium then i guess.. they will have to work hard to get to the aquarium..

Found a 6th one also.. porcelain crab?

IMGP7769.jpg

Porcelains should only have three pairs of walking legs, while "true" crabs have four. They are filter feeders and so reef safe. So, the first two are porcelains, and the rest are "true" (brachyuran) crabs. Most of them appear to be usually unsafe Xanthids, but the last picture (post #5), could be a harmless trapeziid (or maybe mithrax).

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchcrabs.html

I think No 4 is definately a Xanthid Crab, just caught mine today. Check out thread in sig for pic of crab. He was a nightmare, breaking off bits of live rock , making tunnels in the rock, filling the tunnels with the rock he was breaking off.

Thanks for all the help, have found 3 box crabs and 5 gorilla crabs. Looking for more every evening. Good it's a new tank so it's just to pick up the stones and search.

Archived