inTank Media Baskets

Pico Powerhead Suggestions

Snowsrfr

Setting up a 3 gallon pico and was looking for some suggestions on a decent powerhead for this set up. Just gonna keep zoas, shrooms, etc. Been looking at the Rio 50, Mini-jet, Hydor pico ph. Anybody have any experience with any of these or suggestion on something else? Thanks.

Mr. Microscope

I had a MiniJet 404 for a while. It stopped working after 4 or 5 months. I'm now using the Koralia Nano. It's much stronger. Perhaps too strong. Would be great for an SPS tank though.

Mr. Microscope

Well, there you go. I say too strong, Newman says not strong at all. Being that the truth is always somewhere in between, that makes the K-nano the perfect strength. :lol:

haha, I actually had to change from a Rio50 to a K-nano and it feels as though I've actually downgraded... but the statistics dont lie. compared to the Rio's ~68 gph the K-nano is supposed to be more than 3 times that much at ~240gph...

Mr. Microscope

I also have my AC70 on almost full strength. So, that adds to the general swish in my tank. I do wish it was slightly less wirlpooly. Judging from my anthelia though, there is some nice random flow.

I also have my AC70 on almost full strength. So, that adds to the general swish in my tank. I do wish it was slightly less wirlpooly. Judging from my anthelia though, there is some nice random flow.

I insalled one of the new smaller korali nanos about two weeks ago . I wanted the 280, but wound up with the 425. It does a good job in my 5.5.

This is a great pico pump, and has adjustable flow: http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant....ode=Tunze_pumps

This looks very similar to the return pump included with dymax cubes. Perhaps they are rebranded tunzes.

Anyway I just got the mini jet 404. I was surprised it's not very mini. I had to take off both the top and bottom covers to fit it in my return section. If I were to put it in my pico as a powerhead it would be quite the eyesore.

Mr. Microscope
Anyway I just got the mini jet 404. If I were to put it in my pico as a powerhead it would be quite the eyesore.

It is. Here's a FTS of mine from last December.

FTS20091216.jpg

• 3 years later...

So a MP10 in a 3 gal pico is good to go?

I am also looking for a powerhead, but nothing that will be too crazy.

I have SPS and LPS

thesmallerthebetter

So a MP10 in a 3 gal pico is good to go?

I am also looking for a powerhead, but nothing that will be too crazy.

I have SPS and LPS

i love my mp10 on my shallow 3 gal, but for a cheaper option i love the sicce nano voyager....smaller than a k nano and no click on startup

Archived