Cultivated Reef

Evil Bobbit Worm... Yesssssss!

TFMANIAC

Hello Reefers.

I've got a 2ft Invert only tank and I've recently spotted an evil Bobbit worm. I know alot of you feel that Bobbit worms are good residents to have in a tank. That they're excellent and clearing leftover and the gunk on the substrate but this one is huge. It's as thick as a wooden pencil and I must get it evicted.

It lives over here, very close to where the hermits gather and sleep. I call it the cave of Doom.

CODoooom.jpg

I've heard of setting a bottle trap with some prawn meat just near the location where it lives.

My question is, how effective is it? Wouldn't it just grab the food and retreat back to the cave?

How do I ensure that it goes all the way into the bottle and drops in?

Any help and all alternative extraction methods are most welcome.

Please... for the love of invertebrates.

Hello Reefers.

I've got a 2ft Invert only tank and I've recently spotted an evil Bobbit worm. I know alot of you feel that Bobbit worms are good residents to have in a tank. That they're excellent and clearing leftover and the gunk on the substrate but this one is huge. It's as thick as a wooden pencil and I must get it evicted.

It lives over here, very close to where the hermits gather and sleep. I call it the cave of Doom.

CODoooom.jpg

I've heard of setting a bottle trap with some prawn meat just near the location where it lives.

My question is, how effective is it? Wouldn't it just grab the food and retreat back to the cave?

How do I ensure that it goes all the way into the bottle and drops in?

Any help and all alternative extraction methods are most welcome.

Please... for the love of invertebrates.

I only thought people were keeping them in a species tank. In your invert tank it would grow incredibly because you stocked it with so much food for it. These things can get up to 25 feet in the wild and i remember reading a story of someone pulling one close to that out of a larger tank. The messed up thing was 25 feet of it could coil up into a 6" area......... I would get it out if you want to keep crabs and snails, if i can remember some had luck with a piece of fishing line and a small hook and some bait. Careful to not rip it in half, if you do get atleast one piece, or there will be two.

I get what you mean man but I don't have any evil intentions for this evil worm... but there are going to be some smaller inverts coming in soon... so this invert... is going into the sump or any reefer who wants it.

hmmm the fishing hook idea seems it might work... Will give it a try.

Thank you scythe

Guest TheBlueLorax

HO :o

Kill Him Kill Him NOW I had a Bobbit worm in my tank a once and it ate parts of my small star fish in a matter of days. I would see the star with chunks of his top bitten clean off. I have no love for these worms :angry:

hurricanefan1281
Id almost bet it would find its way back :ninja::scarry:

No, it was on michiganreefers.com search bobbit worm....

i was reading that post about that bobbit worm. the guy was like feeding it superglue and copper or something like that and it still wouldn't die! i didnt read all of it so i dont know what happened in the end...

That's if I ever catch the creep.

Into the sump he'll go... unless someone else wants him.

Bottle Trap day one... caught alot of Rice Grain sized pods...

saw that Devil Worm was peeking his wiskers from the hole.

Wait for night 2 update.

seriously though, weetie's suggestion is the easiest method. just give the rock a FW dip, the worm will come slithering right out.

yeah it is one of the base rocks... and don't want to screw up my scape just yet.

I feel that if after this week, nothing gets trapped, I'm gonna dip it. just a tiny side Question, Would freshwater kill my Coraline?

diablovt750

I had one of those in my 24g nanocube and it didnt bother me until it started pulling my polyps off the rocks. I tried fresh water dip, guy at the lfs told me to try club soda, I tried leaving the rock out of the water for over a week, and nothing worked. Finally I got fed up and took the rock out of the tank and with a hammer and chistlebust up the rock to make sure that I got him. He was almost 2 feet long! Good luck getting him out, it is going to be an adventure!

I had one in my 28 gallon. I had to bust up the rock to get rid of it. I actually forgot about the worm and left it sitting on a paper towel in my garage for 6 hours and was still wiggling around when I came back :o

nano-reefer1

its name bothers me couldnt they call it something else .ah i would freak out i couldnt have one in my tank id be affraid to wake up with out ma johnson ooo im gonna have nightmares tonight just thinkin about it

• 2 weeks later...

I saw him the other night and pinned him with a stick.

it broke in half and I got the tail end out

4 inches

then this morning... the head end, another 5 inches was struggling on the sand bed..

Extraction complete!

DSCN0326.jpg

they really shrink up and cover themselves with mucus when out of water.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived