32 replies to this topic

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL

So this is what happens when you leave your quarantine tank running for too long. I originally set it up to treat a bout of Ich..my "welcome" to saltwater aquariums. The first 8 weeks of owning a nano reef sucked! I was treating 2 fish with hyposalinity and changing 5gals of water every other day to keep the nitrites down. After returning the fish to my biocube, I just kept it running and let it complete its cycle. I figured it couldn't hurt to have a backup tank right? Well after a while I started using it to rinse off my tools, stopped changing the water all that often etc.. clearly neglecting the tank (paying for it now with some hair algae). So basically didn't care about the tank at all (hence the term IDFC) until I needed to pull some rock from my biocube. The rock came from Petco and has never been right <_<. So the tank sat with 2 rocks lookin stupid for a few months. In October I started to get back on top of my water changes, added a AC70 fuge mod and was able to eliminate the cyano outbreak. So I did what anyone would do...added sand and started stocking it..and well the rest is history. About half of the livestock are starter corals from my biocube. Here's a shot from 6 months ago and some current FTS.

FTS: 06/14/2009
Posted Image

FTS: 01/26/2010
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ah shucks.. guess I really do care about the tank.

edit: ok maybe not.. left the lights on all night..woops

Edited by MikeTR, 27 January 2010 - 05:50 AM.

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
Hmm.. wonder what else I can cram in here.. gotta be a hardy critter though. Thinking about a shrimp or something. (I should actually be thinking about working) haha... anyways.. I think the LFS got a new shipment in yesterday so I might just have to cruise on in there on my lunch hour.

Lalani

Lalani

Wait... what?

• Moderators
  • 27,243 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2007
  • Louisiana
That has to be the worst quarantine tank I've ever seen.

:P
Looks good and I love that St. Thomas mushroom.

20L

KCP - Canon 550D - Canon 28-135mm - Canon 100mm macro - Canon 50mm - Sigma 10-20mm - Flickr

Oh and everybody is a dick here except Lani. She is an evil genius which is different.

DON'T TALK ABOUT LALANI LIKE THAT!  :angry:

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
Thanks! I can't figure out if it's a shroom or a ricordea. I thought it was a St Thomas when I bought it but the LFS sold it as a Ricordea. :huh: If you piss it off then it spews its stringy guts out.. either that or it closes up just like a zoanthid does. Sides all fold up to the center. It's an interesting creature.

I almost trashed this whole setup at one point. I heard water dripping on the floor at about 1am..this was the same night someone else posted up a thread about their walmart tank leaking.. and then the second one they got as the replacement leaked.. and I thought.. well I'll be damned. Turned out since I hadn't replaced the carbon filter in months it was backing up the flow and dripping over the side. Whew!

Lalani

Lalani

Wait... what?

• Moderators
  • 27,243 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2007
  • Louisiana
It's most definitely a St. Thomas mushroom aka warty corallimorph (Discosoma sanctithomae). :)

20L

KCP - Canon 550D - Canon 28-135mm - Canon 100mm macro - Canon 50mm - Sigma 10-20mm - Flickr

Oh and everybody is a dick here except Lani. She is an evil genius which is different.

DON'T TALK ABOUT LALANI LIKE THAT!  :angry:

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
Sweet! Thanks for the ID. Was hoping that's what it be.

scubasteve2580

scubasteve2580

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Joined 24 May 2009
  • texarkana
you friggen reef-addict!!! :P thats something i would do right there. i set up a 10 gallon frag tank and before i knew it i was setting up a refugium and feeding pods...... and its in the works too.

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL

you friggen reef-addict!!! :P thats something i would do right there. i set up a 10 gallon frag tank and before i knew it i was setting up a refugium and feeding pods...... and its in the works too.

Yeah man I know! I actually want to upgrade the tank.. :) facepalm.. not right now tho, need more space.. and it does look pretty good I think. Maybe I need to stop caring about my biocube so much ;) (like that'd ever happen).

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
St.Thomas mushroom eating mysis deploying clownfish aversion tactics.. :ninja:
Posted Image

Screename_116

Screename_116

Joe

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Joined 17 Dec 2007
  • Ohio
Pretty good looking QT tank, haha!

What kind of light? I am setting up a 10g to tide me over for a while. :)
Planning a new tank for a new house.

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
20" Current USA Satellite Orbit 2 x 40w.. combo 420/460actinic, combo 6500/10000k bulbs. Next go around I'd like to switch to just a 10k for the daylight.. I think the 6500 is helping the algae growth.

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
FTS: 04-18-2010
Posted Image

Sammy:
Posted Image

Left half:
Posted Image

Sammy and Sylvester (sly).. they always be swimming around together.. such vivid colors! Love these fish.
Posted Image

Edited by MikeTR, 18 April 2010 - 07:31 PM.

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
So let's see here.. I still see some rock poking through..need to fix that. I'd like to stick something coming off the Tonga branch that's right behind the cherub.. dunno what though.. also what can I cram in with the palys that will hold it's own and give that side some more color?

Diskusting

Diskusting

hello :-)

• Members
  • 623 posts
  • Joined 08 Aug 2006
  • TBA
wow sweet ten G man. Love the cloves and zoas, they look sweet when they spread through the rockwork like that.
Yeah.

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
Yeah man!.. thanks for the kind words.. I need to get some updated pics and still trying to place some of the coral that's on the frag rack... I'm runnin out of room!!

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
FTS: 06/08/10
Posted Image

shan

shan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,955 posts
  • Joined 22 Jul 2008
  • Bowie Tx

FTS: 06/08/10
Posted Image

VERY NICE TANK MAN!
Moving on up!
6/24/12 moved up to the new Red Sea 500s, 135g
34g Solana w/ Outer Orbit 150w MH + 4/24w T5
http://www.nano-reef...?...209562&st=0
Upgraded from 14month 12g nanocube
Birthdate 10/4/2009

racechase

racechase

oo e oo eo

• Members
  • 1,516 posts
  • Joined 01 Nov 2008
  • Gainesville, FL
Beautiful tank mike! When i get back down i'm def coming to get some cloves from you!

parker32259

parker32259

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 12 Jan 2010
your just growing out that angel..........right? :rant:

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL

your just growing out that angel..........right? :rant:

He went back to the LFS.. and I did actually look up the stocking list on here and the cherub was listed under the 10g..

CanadianNano

CanadianNano

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 27 Jun 2010
  • Canada
i think you should take the frags off the sandbed, put em in another tank, and let this grow out, it will be beautiful!

.Newman.

.Newman.

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 6,909 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2010
  • New Jersey (North)
i think you should send me some cloves eh? :D

tank looks great.
Posted Image

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
FTS 10/23/10
Posted Image

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
Since it's time for updates.. I'm really thinkin about getting rid of all those brown palys on the right.. replacing it with different live rock and getting a couple maxi mini nems or something with a lot of color.. or just doing a massive zoa garden.. not really sure yet. The left side is pretty colorful.. and the right.. although it's cool having a ton of palys over there.. is well.. brown. decisions decisions.

Brooklyngal

Brooklyngal

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • Joined 17 Jan 2009
well this is a crappy QT tank! you should give it all to me :happydance: