ReefCleaners.org

Animalmaster6's Aquatic Ramblings and Endless Quest for Water

animalmaster6

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6
cool and why are you not going to have a refugium? :huh:

I really wish I could! I can't really afford it right now. I'm getting a sump and my 12G is going to be my Hospital Tank, I'm also planning a possible frag tank. If it is possible I will plumb in a refugium in a few years,.

animalmaster6
id say a refugium is more important than a frag tank especially if u have a mandrin.

That's what I thought. Is it possible to plumb in a refugium in a few months?

there is a thread on here that a guy is asking if setting up a refugium when the tank is already cycled will cause another cycle which i think it will but i didnt read the thread.

animalmaster6
there is a thread on here that a guy is asking if setting up a refugium when the tank is already cycled will cause another cycle which i think it will but i didnt read the thread.

I'll have to look for it.

animalmaster6
Dont you plan on having a sump? Just make room for a fuge in there.

Yes, I'm having a sump. I never know you could put a fuge in their. I would definetly be able to get a Sharknose pair if I have a fuge. I'll look into it! Thanks D3!

animalmaster6
LOL! I thought you said to lay off all the small gobies lol.

I would LOVE to get a pair of Neon Gobies or Sharknose Gobies could I do it?

Also, no Red Head Goby for me. I originally wanted one but I was told it would fight with the Greenabnded Goby and they would kille ach other. :( I wanted one sooooooo badly! Sorry Weeber. No other blennies. I have a high enough fish load. it's killijng me not to get a Tailspot Blenny lol

Does anybody else think I can get any more really small gobies? This is really important! Gobies are my all time favorite fishes! Please Help!

Still need help!!!!

Minor Update

A minor update. My dad came one step futher to the idea of having a refugium!!!!!

No more big red letters.

All you do... is buy a sump. In the left and right chambers, you have your equipment. In the center, you throw some chaeto in it and a small light.

Throw in all the gobies you want, as long as they are compatible.

animalmaster6
Isn't that paint dry yet??

lol I looked at paint for hours and hours! Can't decide on which color.

No more big red letters.

All you do... is buy a sump. In the left and right chambers, you have your equipment. In the center, you throw some chaeto in it and a small light.

Throw in all the gobies you want, as long as they are compatible.

I like big red letters -_- ...

I would rahter have a different tank. If we have a fuge we will have to have a seperate tank. I don't think our sump will be too large.

I can have all the gobies I want? That doesn't make any sense though.

lol I looked at paint for hours and hours! Can't decide on which color.

I like big red letters -_- ...

I would rahter have a different tank. If we have a fuge we will have to have a seperate tank. I don't think our sump will be too large.

I can have all the gobies I want? That doesn't make any sense though.

If the gobies don't kill each other, then yes. 3 yellow watchman gobies wouldn't work. A clown goby, a neon goby, a trimma goby, and whatever other gobies I guess your interested in would work. Not all gobies are compatible with other gobies, you just have to look at the individual species you are interested in. With a different tank, it will be more complicated. It would be better to have a larger sump with a refugium chamber.

animalmaster6
If the gobies don't kill each other, then yes. 3 yellow watchman gobies wouldn't work. A clown goby, a neon goby, a trimma goby, and whatever other gobies I guess your interested in would work. Not all gobies are compatible with other gobies, you just have to look at the individual species you are interested in. With a different tank, it will be more complicated. It would be better to have a larger sump with a refugium chamber.

So basically I can't overstock gobies? I will have my goby/shrimp pair, Pearly jawfish, pair of Sharknose Gobies, Greenbanded Goby, Firefish, am Mandarin, and a few blennies and I could still have more gobies.

I will seriously think about getting a large sump with a fuge built in. The ppl we got the tank from I think had a built in fuge in the sump. Maybe they can help...

So basically I can't overstock gobies? I will have my goby/shrimp pair, Pearly jawfish, pair of Sharknose Gobies, Greenbanded Goby, Firefish, am Mandarin, and a few blennies and I could still have more gobies.

I will seriously think about getting a large sump with a fuge built in. The ppl we got the tank from I think had a built in fuge in the sump. Maybe they can help...

You WILL overstock gobies when you get enough gobies that you don't have enough territory for them all to have. ALSO when you buy certain gobies that won't live well together (for example, 3 or 4 shrimpgobies) OR when you buy fish that won't do well with gobies (some blennies will fight with gobies).

In a larger tank, there will be less territorial disputes. Blennies for example, will not do well with more than one in a tank. Clownfish won't do good with more than 2 in a tank. Just research the goby you like, and make sure your other fish won't pick on it.

So you CAN overstock on gobies if you buy like 20+, or make the wrong choices.

animalmaster6
Macro! omgomgomg omgomgomg

Part of the reason I want a fuge!!!!

I want some hermits in there too. Thin Striped hermits too be exact. From Reef Cleaners

You WILL overstock gobies when you get enough gobies that you don't have enough territory for them all to have. ALSO when you buy certain gobies that won't live well together (for example, 3 or 4 shrimpgobies) OR when you buy fish that won't do well with gobies (some blennies will fight with gobies).

In a larger tank, there will be less territorial disputes. Blennies for example, will not do well with more than one in a tank. Clownfish won't do good with more than 2 in a tank. Just research the goby you like, and make sure your other fish won't pick on it.

So you CAN overstock on gobies if you buy like 20+, or make the wrong choices.

I would never put 3-4 shrimp gobies or even a different clown goby together. I'm very cautiuous.

I am aware that blennies can get very territorial. I am thinking of getting only 1 Barnacle Blenny. I'm getting 2 species of blennies because barnacles are one of the more peaceful blennies.

Can I get another smaller goby? Like an Eviota or a Masked? Maybe a pair? Or would that overstock?

Part of the reason I want a fuge!!!!

I want some hermits in there too. Thin Striped hermits too be exact. From Reef Cleaners

I would never put 3-4 shrimp gobies or even a different clown goby together. I'm very cautiuous.

I am aware that blennies can get very territorial. I am thinking of getting only 1 Barnacle Blenny. I'm getting 2 species of blennies because barnacles are one of the more peaceful blennies.

Can I get another smaller goby? Like an Eviota or a Masked? Maybe a pair? Or would that overstock?

I think you would be fine with that. You could probably put in both of them. Also consider the larger fish that might not like the gobies, if you are going to have any. Gobies are pretty peaceful so they are going to be easy to mix.

animalmaster6
I think you would be fine with that. You could probably put in both of them. Also consider the larger fish that might not like the gobies, if you are going to have any. Gobies are pretty peaceful so they are going to be easy to mix.

Thank You so much Nemo! Gobies are my fav fish so obviously I want as much as possible lol.

I will have 2 tangs but they are one of the more peaceful tangs.

Thanks again

animalmaster6

One more question:

Can I have this:

1 very small goby

1 very small goby

Pair of Sharknose Gobies

1 Two Spot Bimaculatus Blenny

Plus the original list obviously

Is this overstockijng? I know I already have 2 species of blennies but the Bimaculatus Blenny is tiny and acts like a goby

Thanks

One more question:

Can I have this:

1 very small goby

1 very small goby

Pair of Sharknose Gobies

1 Two Spot Bimaculatus Blenny

Plus the original list obviously

Is this overstockijng? I know I already have 2 species of blennies but the Bimaculatus Blenny is tiny and acts like a goby

Thanks

lol

dude

i had a pair of tangs, a regal angel, a 6 chromis 3 gobies and like 4 damsels in my 75 and the DSB handled it all at that point i wasnt skimming even if youre worried about overstocking. you could fit more in there if you manage it properly.

what about firefish, or a shrimp goby pair? and like a sand sifting goby at some point or a group of wheelers watchmen gobies?

are u having a DSB? you could also use rockwork with lots of caves and crevices and stuff to break up fish always seeing each other.

heres a thread of a dude who had loads of small gobies etc for some inspiration. his tank is smaller than urs

http://www.ultimatereef.com/TOTM/2008_august/

animalmaster6
lol

dude

i had a pair of tangs, a regal angel, a 6 chromis 3 gobies and like 4 damsels in my 75 and the DSB handled it all at that point i wasnt skimming even if youre worried about overstocking. you could fit more in there if you manage it properly.

what about firefish, or a shrimp goby pair? and like a sand sifting goby at some point or a group of wheelers watchmen gobies?

are u having a DSB? you could also use rockwork with lots of caves and crevices and stuff to break up fish always seeing each other.

heres a thread of a dude who had loads of small gobies etc for some inspiration. his tank is smaller than urs

http://www.ultimatereef.com/TOTM/2008_august/

Alright thanks for the help East!

Check out my list on a few pages back. I'm having a Firefish and I'm transfering everything from my 12G.

I'm not getting sand sifting gobies. Too anoying when the sift sand right on your corals lol.

Maybe I'll get another small goby or two.

Thanks for the link.

What is DSB? A skimmer? I'm definetly having a skimmer.

Alright thanks for the help East!

Check out my list on a few pages back. I'm having a Firefish and I'm transfering everything from my 12G.

I'm not getting sand sifting gobies. Too anoying when the sift sand right on your corals lol.

Maybe I'll get another small goby or two.

Thanks for the link.

What is DSB? A skimmer? I'm definetly having a skimmer.

a DSB is a deep sand bed. helps with denitrification if you have fine sand. also arent u getting any big fish? tangs or angels or butterflies or anything? id love to try like 3 or 5 yellows in a 125 :P

haha tru about the sandsifters,

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=206

that guy ive seen in the wild dosent swim much so where they pick up the sandd they sift and drop. same behavior in tanks but ive never had one.

whats your coral stocking plans?

Archived