ReefCleaners.org

*StevieT's Guide to Moving a Tank*

StevieT

Orange Crush

I'm totally not reading this thread, but I like the title and if y'all think it should be stickied, pm me :flower:

or hey lani's already here. whatev.

Come to think of it, it might make a good article. PM chris too!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hah, the pictures of you trying to rescape made me laugh so hard because I was just there myself. Sitting infront of my tank, saltwater EVERYWHERE, salt on every surface of my tankstand, and me with piles of liverock on 5g bucket tops. I definitely agree that once you take down a scape just LET IT GO. You will spend countless hours trying to recreate it and in the end you won't be happy.

When I was into planted tanks, I was super anal about getting everything looking just right. I'd get so pissed if a plant uprooted on me after I got everything just right! After awhile you just have to say f it, and just leave it alone.

I'm totally not reading this thread, but I like the title and if y'all think it should be stickied, pm me :flower:

or hey lani's already here. whatev.

Come to think of it, it might make a good article. PM chris too!

This one's all yours! :lol:

Stevie has a couple of other cool guides linked in his sig. Maybe he can start a compilation of reefing how-to guides and we can sticky them all as one post? Or something like that... I dunno. Whatever you think. :flower:

Militant Jurist

Stevie has a couple of other cool guides, linked in his sig. Maybe he can start a compilation of reefing how-to guides and we can sticky them all as one post? Or something like that... I dunno. Whatever you think. :flower:

Perhaps one big stickied thread titled The Hitchhiker's Guide to Reefing by StevieT.

I moved my tank a year ago, but luckily it was within the same zip code. I'll probably be facing a larger move in the next couple of years, but it's nice to see such a comprehensive guide!

Good write-up Stevie. I've moved at least 20 tanks in the past few years. I've never had the patience, or the dry hands, for a camera. I've moved everything from a 5.5 gallon from one bedroom to the next to my 125 across town. I feel your pain on the aquascape, luckily I love trying new ones, so I'm not nearly as attached as you were.

I use a couple of coolers (a 12 gallon and a 7 gallon mostly) and lots of 5 and 6 gallon containers. It's all in the planning, and honestly, distance does not matter. Heck, a nice drive gives you a little time to catch your breath, regroup, and do a little more planning in your head about the re-setup.

My tank moving advice:

Fish and corals are tougher than most people give them credit. Just make sure everything stays wet and nothing is going to get crushed. Beyond that, I promise the livestock is going to be okay.

Use coolers. At least for the livestock. The longer the transport time, the more important this becomes. If necessary your corals and fish can live in a cooler with a heater and a powerhead. Live rock will be fine at room temperature for a day or two as long as it's wet, even without circulation.

If you've been considering a tank switch, do it during the move. You're going to have to rescape and move everything anyways. Doing it during the move saves repeating the effort and mess. Plus, excuse to upgrade! (It's also a great time to get rid of that pesky damsel or dottyback or nuisance crab. Once you've got him, don't let him go back in the tank!)

Plan everything. Every step. Write it down if you have to.

Don't rush. Mistakes happen when you rush. If something goes wrong in the middle of the process, don't panic. You rush when you panic.

Have towels. Things will get wet. Really, really wet.

Good luck!

Hey everyone, great advice here... I have the erm... "privilege" of moving my tank in a few weeks (& probably upgrading to a 40br thanks to Evilc)... It's going to be hard, so I'm probably going to take a day off. Honestly I would have followed a similar pattern as StevieT outlined in his guide, but still it was nice to see it explained (with pictures!).

I did have one question though... I've moved my tank a few times when it was FW, and it was difficult to keep the water in all the containers... Does anyone know of a good way to waterproof the seams of a cooler? I'm almost thinking of using some type of weatherstripping? If anyone has ideas I think that might be a good idea for the DIY forum (and add a link to this thread)!

Thanks for the guide.

Does anyone know of a good way to waterproof the seams of a cooler? I'm almost thinking of using some type of weatherstripping? If anyone has ideas I think that might be a good idea for the DIY forum (and add a link to this thread)!

Thanks for the guide.

I didn't transport but a gallon or so of water in a cooler for the fish then what was around the live rock. Most of it was bagged with the corals. The cooler with the fish was only half full to allow for splashing. I used a heavy duty garbage bag and laid it flat on top of the container with the rock, then snapped the lid over that. Worked well enough to seal in the water. Some did get out but it wasn't more than a few cups

A week earlier to this move I relocated my FW tank. I did the bag method on the tops of the coolers and it seemed fine. Some got out but not much, just don't fill them up more than half and no wild turns :)

My tank moving advice:

Fish and corals are tougher than most people give them credit. Just make sure everything stays wet and nothing is going to get crushed. Beyond that, I promise the livestock is going to be okay.

Great advice here, they are not as fragile as some make out.

Stevie has a couple of other cool guides linked in his sig. Maybe he can start a compilation of reefing how-to guides and we can sticky them all as one post? Or something like that... I dunno. Whatever you think. :flower:

If that would work better for everyone I can do that. I don't care but do see need to keep the stickies uncluttered. We could link the water change guide, glue thread and this All-In-One no pun intended. The glue thread was made into an article, who knows if anyone reads those :lol:

Orange Crush

should be articles imo. I mean hell, that's what they're there for. I AIM'd chris, but not sure if he got it. I'll hit him up again.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome article, Steve. I've always wanted to document a tank move but I seem to forget all about it once I'm actually doing the move. Also I've only moved tanks across town so they were fairly quick and painless.

Moving my pico was super easy and took only two styrofoam coolers, two one-gallon jugs and a rubbermaid container. The RSM on the other hand was a much bigger ordeal. We "borrowed" a thirty gallon Brute trashcan from Home Depot, bagged up everything into coolers and dollied the stand and the tank with the sand in it on the back of a pickup.

Planning ahead definitely makes the move a lot easier and smoother. For moving a large tank it really helps to have friends help you. And a dolly.

And a dolly.

Good point. I was very adamant to document this move since this question is brought up a lot here. It was a pain to keep that camera near by, have a dry hand, and actually remember to take a shot. Looking forward to seeing your RSM progress.

I'll be moving all of my tanks over the next month or so. I'll try to document one of them. Either the 20 or the 54, the 125 is way too much work, I can't worry about a camera during that nightmare.

it looks fine..but this tank was a signature tank that im sure everyone on nano-reefs had came across atleast once..this was the bread winner...it still is tho..i love the detail u put into this thread and i mean its all happen to us at least once when were trying to get that stubborn invert or fish out of our tanks and knock the aquascape over and its just never the same again...its alright it still looks great

I agree, the tank will never look as good as it did in my office in IL. It was in a dark corner, had a better scape and just popped. With the high lighting in this new room it is very hard to capture what it looks like in real life.

Debating on moving it again when I buy a house soon or just starting a new tank. Just remembered this thread and leaning towards a new tank :lol:

• 1 month later...

What does everyone think of rinsing the sand you already have before a move? I know what it looks like when you move, I've done it twice before, and it is disgusting, but rinsing it should clean it up pretty well shouldn't it? And new sand is completely devoid of any life anyway so rinsing away everything from the old sand should compare pretty similarly to using new sand, right?

I've done half rinses before. Never completely cleaned it out, because I didn't want to start over with new sand. If you're okay with starting with new sand, then by all means, rinse away.

I've moved 4 tanks in the past 2 weeks, 1 more to go next week! Sorry, no pictures, the deadline has been tight so I've been rushed. Rushed too much and broke the 20h fuge under my 125. I've got to drill a new one this weekend now. I felt dumb.

LMAO! I don't think I have ever seen something so funny on this site. I almost bought a costume that looked like that two days ago.

[/b][/u]Protection while I was away for 7 days from my tank:

IMG_9775-1.jpg

IMG_9777.jpg

LOL!!

• 4 months later...

That was a good read, especially "attempt # whatever"...lol

I recently tried to move a single rock in my 40 that led to 2, then 4.

After the wife and kids took off, "Do you need some alone time with your tank honey?".. 6 hours and too many accidental frags later i was satisfied...well, sort of.

Thanks for the laugh -

• 2 weeks later...
bluefunelement

about to upgrade from a nc24 to a 30g Finnex and after reading your thread I actually got 2 of 30g's so I can setup one temp next to the nc24 to move frags and fish into then LR into a tub - setup new 30g in it's place and just focus on LR till I'm happy while the corals and fish chill in their own tank

After try #xxx I'll drop in corals and fish till I'm happy then tear down the temp 30g and declare myself winner.

Thanks for the great doc thread

bluefunelement
Very good idea with the two tubs. That would have been very helpful.

In addition to tubs - 2 identical tanks

UpgradePrep.jpg?derivative=mmedium&source=web.jpg

• 2 months later...
Peanuttiest

Very helpful guide! But I still need some advise...My 14g Biocube is in my classroom and I'm planning on bringing it home for the summer. Is it small enough where I can just drain most of the water, put the LR and corals in separate buckets, and transport as is with fish and sand inside it? It would be a 30 minute drive to my house. Or should I dismantle it like you did and start with new sand?

Archived