Cultivated Reef

CruiZe's 15 gallon nano !

cruiZe

Hmm, cool, you used auto tint like I did. It looks great! Now I wish my tank was rimless :D

In answer to one of your earlier questions, you could probably do a water change now, if you like... though it's not imperative... I've read that changing water will actually extend your cycle if you're still in the ammonia / nitrite stage. Your tank is like mine (never showed ammonia or nitrite), but after the nitrates in my tank rose to 5 ppm, they suddenly dropped to 0 and haven't been seen since. I can't really explain that... but IMO, water changes are best done proactively.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 26

found a crab eating dead shrimpy today :( He was scavenging well for over a week, and I fed him some flake food twice with the turkey baster which he happily accepted. The last time I fed the shrimp was 3 or 4 days ago, but I know he was eating aptasia and other things in the tank.

Water test this eve was 0,0, ~18 nitrates (not quite 20, but way darker than 10) 1.025sg, 78 deg, 8.2 pH

I did my first water change proceeding the dead peppermint. I did only 2 gallons, nitrates are still about 15.

So was it the nitrates or the lack of food that did my peppermint in?

3 crabs, 3 snails, and HH kenya tree seem happy.

edit; the peppermint had a successful molt 4 or 5 days ago, he seemed really happy after that.

nice tank, how hard is it to keep the pars in check im thinking of starting a 10 or 5.5 gallon pico and i want it to be rather care free. considering if things go wrong i have the other tank to lend an hand

I brought the LR home from fishdrs in a bucket of sw, so I didn't have any die off, amm, or 'trites ever. Nitrates have been around 10-15, but I just started my water change schedule (every sunday) so that should take care of that. Temp swings are kinda random, but I'm running a cheap glass heater (EBO Jager should be here this week!) I'm working on the SG swings now, trying to get a drip setup to match evap exactly. I guess I mess with it a lot, but just cuz I'm bored.

I have had 2 peppermint shrimp die on me but that was just due to stupidity on thier part. They arent the smartest shrimp in the sea lol. Even with a skimmer and weekly water changes my nitrates are ~20. Hopfully they will drop some eventually but 20 is fine by me.

Tried something new this morning, I turned off all the pumps, so the water basically stopped, then dropped in a few pieces of flake food to see what would come out after it. I had only seen 1 bristle worm before, but I found out I have at least 6 ! I was also able to see all sorts of pods swimming around that I can't usually tell if they are alive, or just debris blowing around. With the still water I was able to see a lot I didn't know I had. Here is a pic of one trying to get a piece of the blue legs lunch...

post-45639-1252605177_thumb.jpg

Got my big CUC from reefcleaners today ! I can't say enough great things about John, amazing what you can get from him for 20 bucks.

Here are the "10" Dwarf ceriths I ordered...

post-45639-1252605148_thumb.jpg

Here is the whole mix trying to figure out which way is up !

Snail PILE !

post-45639-1252605166_thumb.jpg

The Nass snails took off into the sandbed within seconds, after an hour most of them have gone on their way, the big florida ceriths are still closed tho.

Full list of what I got in my 1st post.

Yep, the cerith mainly come out at night. It's awesome watching them come out after lights-out. The nassarius will come out really fast if food is dropped in lol.

• 1 month later...

Clowns_near_Frogspawn.JPG

Now I have fish in my 'fish tank'. Makes the non-reefers feel more comfortable when they come over.

Fuge_chaeto.JPG

My 6gal fuge is up and running !

post-45639-1257172385_thumb.jpg

Militant Jurist
Now I have fish in my 'fish tank'. Makes the non-reefers feel more comfortable when they come over.

I know what you mean! I used to get that all the time about my coral & invert-only 20L. It's gotten better now that I've got a fish in my 29g. Oh the peer-pressure to get a fish! :P

The clowns and frog are looking good!

• 1 month later...

And I thought I had a lot of snails! Looks good, really clean set up. I'll update my thread with a FTS this weekend when it's all cleaned up. I think i'm going to get some more ceriths this weekend as well.

post-45639-1260136962_thumb.jpg

Got this Florida Cerith with a bit of Macro on its back, now (3 months later) its really grown ! Any idea what it is?

post-45639-1260136920_thumb.jpg

This is "my buddy" the Stomi and the tiny HH starfish we have, only 3 of its legs are growing.

post-45639-1260136985_thumb.jpg

ClownA likes the frog...

post-45639-1260137012_thumb.jpg

Nice $3 mushroom frag !

post-45639-1260137335_thumb.jpg

Partial tank shot showing the newer button polyps and mushrooms, as well as how big the Frogspawn has gotten !

post-45639-1260137357_thumb.jpg

everyone's gettin into the Christmas spirit with the santa hat avitars, so I figured the tank could use some too...

I've been thinking about putting in a fuge. Has it made a difference do you think?

Yes, it has defiantly curbed the pH swings, with the fuge lighting on 24/7 the tank is a solid pH 8.3

Pods can grow freely in the fuge without the fish eating them all !

:lol: those snowflakes rock!

Oh, and the frog is looking great! How many heads do you have?

Thanks! they are just window clings my fiancée wanted to ad :lol: the frog has 3 mega heads and 1 medium one. it has sprouted 3 tiny ones since i've had it so a total of 7. It's going to be huge. :o

Militant Jurist
Thanks! they are just window clings my fiancée wanted to ad :lol: the frog has 3 mega heads and 1 medium one. it has sprouted 3 tiny ones since i've had it so a total of 7. It's going to be huge. :o

Sounds very nice!

purplepeopleeater!

Great looking tank i love your feather duster i had one quite a while ago i would love to get another. your tank looks really good for only 4months old

Thanks everyone for the compliments :happydance: makes me feel better about staring at it for hours :lol:

Thought i'd ad a few random pics...

post-45639-1260753232_thumb.jpg

"what are you lookin at?"

post-45639-1260753270_thumb.jpg

cool white shell, coraline starting to grow

post-45639-1260753257_thumb.jpg

lone fuge crab hard at work !

post-45639-1261021432_thumb.jpg

fuge-crab changed his shell already !

post-45639-1261021508_thumb.jpg

hangin out...

post-45639-1261021287_thumb.jpg

lots of these around in the hair algae and chaeto... about 1/4"... ID?

post-45639-1261021230_thumb.jpg

baby shrimp? ID? very fast, swimming around fuge, this one is on the cemi-pure bag. (must know its powers) :lol: 5-10 of them, from 1/4-3/8"

post-45639-1261021467_thumb.jpg

I love frog. B)

Archived