Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MikeTR's BC14...

MikeTR

Kinda nice knowing that you are acheiving 25% more PAR performance at a little over half the wattage of one of the stock PC bulbs. :)

Just imagine the numbers when you crank it up to 11 :P

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks man! I've got a Sony Cybershot DSC-H20/B. I like it a lot. My only complaint is I can just barely get to 2x optical zoom on a macro shot. Makes it a bit harder to get a really close up shot of the corals that are in the center of the tank. Speaking of which i'm overdue for some tank shots.. it's impossible to get a shot of just the royal blues.. i'm going to have to sit and play with white balance for quite a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh.. my aching back! OK so the small frag of pink table went hiding so I could no longer procrastinate removing the mushroom rocks. After about 2 hours everything was back in the tank. Gonna take a while to get used to the new scape as I was really in love with it the way it was as pictured above. Hoping everything will pull through.. Really only a bit worried about the SPS.. some bleaching might occur but eh.. that's life in a small tank for ya.

and I've got a bunch of digi frags... unfortunately I got a little haphazard as it approached 12am..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ah finally it's here! Apparently it snows in Miami as my MP10 has been held up at UPS for days due to adverse weather conditions..seriously..it made it all the way from NY just to get stuck 2 hours away. <_< I'm still not diggin the scape in the tank so I'm gonna give it one last effort to get it right.. everything's getting epoxied into place in preparation for the added flow, and whatever can't deal with the added flow is getting removed. Cannot wait to get home and start tinkerin.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after I got the LEDs it decided to expand way bigger and had to get rid of it. Stung some stuff and ticked me off. I could definitely tell it was loving the addt'l light.. I think i have some pics of it taking up the whole tank practically. Was definitely cool though.. my little alien in the living room.

• 4 weeks later...
SluggishSloth

The tank looks amazing! Im doing the same LED setup on my 14 I cant wait! How much have your corals spread since you installed the LED's ?

Hey I havent seen this thread in a while. How are the LEDs going? I am about to make a second LED tank myself. Your pics do look sweet B) !

Nice tank!

It's really matured a lot in the pictures, and I you've got some really really nice coral colonies going on here!

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I've been holding out on this update.. not so great news here. Sad to report I switched from LEDs to a 70w sunpod fixture sometime around the beginning of March. I had turned up the LEDs to 100% (don't do this at home kids) and caused a lot of my corals to shrink, SPS were browning out and bleaching, zoas shriveled and because of the stress developed zoa pox. So in an attempt to essentially save the tank, I switched lighting. I really miss the colors of the LEDs though and I'm not too sure about this 14k ushio bulb.. not enough blue I think. Anyways..the problems continue. Some of my LPS is bleaching now and I'm having a heck of a time with my Alk, seems like it's always at 7 when it should be more in the 9-11s. The war coral and chalice are both on the sandbed and aren't looking as good and I can see some signs of bleaching.. also I swear my acans aren't nearly as vibrant and they are definitely not as puffed up as when they were under my LEDs at 50%. The only corals I've completely lost are some zoas and an acro that was browned out when I bought it. I have frags of just about all the zoas however. As for the alk. I'm dosing 10ml of b-ionic daily in the morning and it's not gettin the job done. My tank is sucking it down but I'm afraid to add more of the 2 part as I don't want a huge swing in pH, it's probably already doing that though. So fellow reefers, please offer up some suggestions.

^^^^ help..

is the 70watt too much light, I figured it would be less than the LEDS were at 100%.. what do I do about dosing? The reef calc says I'd need 38ML just to get up to 9 dKH.. and I'm assuming that's on top of the 10ml I'm already dumping in daily. Do I need to get some dosing pumps and start messing around with all that ??

^^^^ help..

is the 70watt too much light, I figured it would be less than the LEDS were at 100%.. what do I do about dosing? The reef calc says I'd need 38ML just to get up to 9 dKH.. and I'm assuming that's on top of the 10ml I'm already dumping in daily. Do I need to get some dosing pumps and start messing around with all that ??

I dont think the 70w is too much light, I am going to be putting a 150w over my BC14. Did you acclimate your corals to the MH light or just put the fixture on top? This could be your problem if so. Your corals didnt have any protection against the UV due to the LEDs, and plus they were bleaching and stessed already.

I have no clue about your alk, maybe due to the lighting change and the stress of your corals.

• 2 weeks later...
Meengineer0128

Be careful, I believe the directions on the B-ionic say not to add more than 1ML per gallon capacity in a 24 hour period (i.e. don't add more than 14 ML in a 24 hour period).

I think Maddevil hit it on the money with the UV and you're right I was a little antsy about dosing the 38ML. I got a new alk test kit the other day and turns out my other kit was reading 7's when I was in the 9's. So apparently 10mL daily is enough to keep it at 9. Fortunately I hadn't increased my dosage or attempted to correct it yet. I have since changed to oceanic salt which has helped with the calcium. I think the tank just needs time to settle down now. My recent vaca wasn't too harsh on the tank.. came home to find my ATO stopped working so the salinity was a bit high.. but no major losses to report. Some slight tip burn in just a few spots but ever so slightly and I've broken off the tips that looked bad. I've moved some of my LPS to another tank and the chalice to a shady spot.. so aside from the zoa pox.. we're ok (for now).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Funny you should ask.. I have a recent pic I took like 2 days ago and been procrastinating puttin it up..I just did a massive cleaning on the glass. The sps colors are blah, but they're alive.. not happy with the 70w 14k ushio.. Nutrients are too high.. chemipure elite not working as it should. Underwater light just burnt out.. gah! Needs some TLC. Pocillopora spawned everywhere.. alkalinity is riding lower than it should have been.. probably 6. Got some burn on the bottom of my sps that I'm not happy about. Time to get my butt in gear. I give out all this good advice.. I just need to follow what I tell others to do haha.

FTS 11-23-2010

BC14FTS-11-2-10.jpg

redcap.jpg

Acans-1.jpg

Boy those LEDs were pretty... but boy did they ruin a lot of coral.

DSC00798.JPG

wow... how did I forget to take a picture of my chalice.. I've been tryin to get an ID on it for a while, and now that the glass is clean I'll have my chance!! Also got a new favia. Have to wait until lights on.

Archived