SaltCritters.com

30" Light Recommendations

davidungaro

davidungaro

I've got a 36 Gallon Bowfront tank that was a freshwater tank - now it's empty. I'd like to turn it into another reef tank (I have a Solana) if I can find a suitable light for it.

The dimensions are:

30" wide

11.5" Deep at ends, 16" at center

21" tall

Now it's a tall tank. I am considering whether or not to just scrap it and buy a rectangular tank (larger but not so deep). But if I can find a good lighting unit for it then I would rather drill this one and make this one work.

Oh - it has a brace in the middle of the top - which I expect a single MH centered would melt through.

Any ideas?

2 70w-150w halide pendants. One on either side of the bracing.

You can also build a custom canopy with T5s.

I've got a 36 Gallon Bowfront tank that was a freshwater tank - now it's empty. I'd like to turn it into another reef tank (I have a Solana) if I can find a suitable light for it.

The dimensions are:

30" wide

11.5" Deep at ends, 16" at center

21" tall

Now it's a tall tank. I am considering whether or not to just scrap it and buy a rectangular tank (larger but not so deep). But if I can find a good lighting unit for it then I would rather drill this one and make this one work.

Oh - it has a brace in the middle of the top - which I expect a single MH centered would melt through.

Any ideas?

davidungaro
I'm sure the question is going to come up..... "What are you planning to keep in it?"

Basic reef tank - hard and soft coral, a few fish. Maybe put it together so I can keep an anemone (my Solana didn't work so well with an anemone).

davidungaro
What kind of anemone? You can keep aiptasia quite well in low lighting conditions ;)

Yeah I think I am almost an expert!!

My tank's dimensions are 30" x 12" x 18". I have the 30" Sundial T5 and it seems to be working out great. I various softies and LPS growing and multiplying.

Paleoreef103
With a tank this deep I figure I have to go with a higher WattPerGallon - what would the recommendation be? 5 WPG?

This fixture (from another thread) is almost 5.2WPG - will it work?

http://buildyouraquarium.com/catalog/produ...;products_id=62

Don't use Watts per Gallon. Different types of lighting put out wildly different amounts of usable light. For example 65 Watts of PC is light years behind what a 2 X 24 W T5s could put out. I have never seen that light being used, but 8X24 T5s with individual reflectors would be overkill for a tank this size. I am skeptical of it being 9 inches wide, having 8 tubes, and having individual reflectors. Honestly four bulbs (like a Nova Extreme 4X24 SLR or a 30" sundial).would be fine for just about anything unless you were planning on a clam or SPS (then use 6).

davidungaro
Don't use Watts per Gallon. Different types of lighting put out wildly different amounts of usable light. For example 65 Watts of PC is light years behind what a 2 X 24 W T5s could put out. I have never seen that light being used, but 8X24 T5s with individual reflectors would be overkill for a tank this size. I am skeptical of it being 9 inches wide, having 8 tubes, and having individual reflectors. Honestly four bulbs (like a Nova Extreme 4X24 SLR or a 30" sundial).would be fine for just about anything unless you were planning on a clam or SPS (then use 6).

Well a clam would be nice - so I can go with a 6x24 - perfect! I need to start building a stand and start assembling all the components (sump, skimmer, light, etc).

Gonna have to go with halides or t5 obviously. I personally prefer halide but there are many successful reef aquariums with T5. As far as the plastic in the middle you could always get a fixture with dual halides so the middle is never under direct light. Also depends on how much money you want to spend. There are many options out there. Another thing to consider is a 36" fixture with ~3 inches sticking out on both sides. Again personal preference. Personally i don't know if id do a T5 3 inches over on each side because of light leaking but halides shouldn't be a problem.

^^ got to this before i finished.... :D also Id read this topic for clam info.

Lighting requirments for clams

Archived