inTank Media Baskets

Davey's 15long rimless peninsula

davey

Current FTS:

15gallon6-17-0904.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I would start my thread for my new tank. Its an all glass 15 gallon 24x12x12. I removed the top and bottom rims. Thats it so far. Hopefully I will get the falsewall in tonight and water tested this weekend. My 3 gallon picotope is going in here and then its gonna become a FW planted picotope.

Well here it is so far:

15gallonempty.jpg

I got the false wall and baffles siliconed in and water tested in the garage for a couple days. No leaks and the flow is running really well. I used 1/4" black acrylic from a local plastic shop. The back portion is 6" wide, leaving me with 18" for the display. The back corner will be a display refugium with mangroves and some other colorful macro algae and still gives me enough room for a media chamber for filter floss and chemipure elite, some chaeto, the heater, and the auto top off. I went with the Maxijet 900 for the return pump and the flow is pretty strong. I got some free leftover sand from a local nano-reefer (big big thanks returnofsid!) and I made my light stand with 1/2" galvanized pipe, painted black, which is mounted to the side of the stand. I am still waiting on my light, another powerhead, heater, and some locline parts and then I can add some live sand, rock and water.

Here is the front view with the sand and the light pole:

IMG_4155.jpg

This is the left side with the display refugium in the back corner:

IMG_4153.jpg

And the right side, oh yeah, we have kids..... :huh:

IMG_4154.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the light yesterday, its gonna be (2) 18" Nova T-5 36W fixtures. I hung one last night, the other is staying on the picotope until the livestock gets moved over. Hopefully it will get filled with water and rock tonight!

Exactly, maybe soon there will be with the growing popularity of the 5.5 and 10 gallon nano tanks. Those 18" Novas are selling like hotcakes, everyone was out of stock there for awhile. I sure would like to have 420 actinic instead of the 460. I have also heard that current has a tendency to underdrive the wattages on their fixtures, although I dont know if this is true for these smaller units.

I got my rock and water in finally. I like how the rock turned out, it emphasizes the peninsula style and left me some good room on all three sides and a couple little caves and coves on each side. Water is still cloudy here, so it is hard to see I am running the little pico filter for now to help it clear up. I think I should have gone with the koralia 1 instead of the nano. I might have to swap it out.

I desaturated the backgrounds on these photos so that the tank is more in the foreground. I saw fab do this before and liked how it looked. Of course, it looked better with his tank.

The left front corner:

15gallon5-8-0901.jpg

The right front corner:

15gallon5-8-0902.jpg

The left side:

15gallon5-8-0903.jpg

The front:

15gallon5-8-0904.jpg

The right side:

15gallon5-8-0905.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yes, I got a good diatom bloom and added some snails and put the crabs in there. I moved my soft corals over and the fish and then got a serious cyano outbreak. So I still have two tanks going. I am going to wait out the cyano cycle and then move over the SPS, hopefully soon. I will try and put up some new pics tonight if I get the chance.

I got some macro algae for my display refugium and some more cleanup crew from reef cleaners yesterday. Great customer service, communication, and shipping. Everything looks great. Some locals here in Spokane arranged a group buy and it went pretty well I think.

So here are some new pics. Please excuse the ugly cyano everywhere, I am still trying to get rid of it.

Right front:

15gallon6-17-0901.jpg

Front:

15gallon6-17-0902.jpg

Left front:

15gallon6-17-0903.jpg

Left side:

15gallon6-17-0904.jpg

Display refugium: 5 Red mangroves, 1 tall Codium and 1 short codium, red gracillaria, Oar grass and chaeto. Oh and 2 sexy shrimp, they keep getting back there....

15gallon6-17-0905.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
awesome tank ! you're the only rimless aga 15g I've found so far... think its going to be fine long run ?

It seems to be. It is holding great, very little bowing. I guess I can only really say so far so good though!

Paleoreef103

Looks great! I bet the 15 will be fine. It's a lot thicker than a 10 gallon, so it at least has that going for it.

I am really liking this, excellent work so far!

My once concern would be that you might not get enough circulation in the rear portion of your rockwork and end up with dead spots.

Keep an eye on that, you don't want to get a detritus sink back there and end up with nitrate issues as a result.

Thanks for the advice Weetie! It does seem to accumulate detritus in the back corners, I just make sure to hit it good with the turkey baster when I do a water change. I am also running a protein skimmer, chemipure Elite and filter floss in a hang on filter, and have the macro algae refugium. I havent registered a nitrate since it cycled and my cyano is almost completely gone now. Time to take down the pico and move over the sps to this tank.

Archived