ReefCleaners.org

LED MeanWell power supply?

zingtaw

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi evil i know your busy, but any updates on the circuit for the ALC?

thanks

I have been thinking more about this (now that I have an RKE, w00t!), but haven't gotten any further on a circuit. It's not hard, but it's finding the time.

what's up with the manual 555/556 timer! :P just joking i know you will get to it eventually

I'll get it done, I promise. I'd say I'd do it this weekend, but I'm helping install my carpet (still doing storm/insurance repairs :rant:)

Different strokes for different folks. Those are regulated constant voltage supplies though. These are specifically LED constant current drivers. Completely different animal. Anyway, while a nice DIN rail power supply is great, 90% of us can't afford one as they would be almost equivalent in cost to our entire LED array.

• 2 weeks later...
Patient is virture buddy, these things does take times ...... :rant::rant::rant:

i know i just wanted to know if anybody tried it without the circuit... :D

not_sponsored

I tried it with the buck pucks but my RKL-ALC is not working correctly, I have it set to 50% intensity but it ramps up to 10V regardless of the intensity I set and I burnt out one of my pucks. Gonna try and switch to meanwells, would be nice to use this damn ALC that's been sitting around for almost a year.

Oh, dude. You can't just hook it up like that. It's no surprise you killed a Buckpuck. You need to use a voltage divider before the Buckpuck to drop the voltage. I though I had posted this somewhere before, but here it is again.

ALC+  | 100K  |  |---Buckpuck  | 100K  |ALC-

Use 100K ohm 1/4W resistors.

Oh, dude. You can't just hook it up like that. It's no surprise you killed a Buckpuck. You need to use a voltage divider before the Buckpuck to drop the voltage. I though I had posted this somewhere before, but here it is again.

oh yeah!!!! i was going to ask but you beat me to it. now im going to have to get a rkl and alc for the bc14.

not_sponsored

Ah that makes sense, I figured if I only set it to 50% intensity that I shouldn't have a problem :owned:

Depends on how the ALC does the 0-10v. If it's a true analog output, your assumption would have been correct. If it's a 10v pwm (more likely), then you would have cooked it at any level. I'll have to find out how DA does it.

Depends on how the ALC does the 0-10v. If it's a true analog output, your assumption would have been correct. If it's a 10v pwm (more likely), then you would have cooked it at any level. I'll have to find out how DA does it.

I was hoping the serial port was pwm and the 0-10vdc ports were true analog, please let us know when you get a chance, I am really wanting one of these for my ELN-60-48Ds.

Thanks

A tech at DA said that the 0-10v outputs are true analog. I'm not 100% sure I believe them. I'll pass final judgement when I get my hands on my own and hook it up to my scope.

so i just read the last few pages again but i seem to have confused myself some. i have the "p" drivers and i just recieved the ALC. is there a circuit that goes inbetween the "p" model and the ALC or i'm i better off getting the "d" model for the ALC. i know Opy01 has the "d" models and his is working (without dimming for now) with the ALC. just incase i have 4 "d" models on the way.

so i just read the last few pages again but i seem to have confused myself some. i have the "p" drivers and i just recieved the ALC. is there a circuit that goes inbetween the "p" model and the ALC or i'm i better off getting the "d" model for the ALC. i know Opy01 has the "d" models and his is working (without dimming for now) with the ALC. just incase i have 4 "d" models on the way.

hey D. did you get all 4 of the d's for 20 bucks? :P

There has been some work here on Arduino platforms, but because it is a relatively simple platform to program for, the sky is the limit. Go nuts, try it yourself.

If you are going to use a Meanwell "P" with an Arduino, you need to control the driver via a transistor feeding it 10v. The outputs of the Arduino are only 5v.

Keep in mind I am not to savy with electronics and have been picking things up as I mess around with my Arduino but....

Based on what you're saying... would the diagram attached would work running a P on the Arduino. The DIM+ and DIM - would simply replace the Load RL.

So I would need a 10v power supply, Transistor, and Resistor?

post-38194-1256157986.gif

Pretty much. You can even get self biased transistors and can skip the bias resistor between the micro and the transistor.

Archived